or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 555

post #8311 of 18022

Hmmm if I could use my speaker amp (NAD 326bee) for the HE500.... That makes them a lot more affordable, because I would not have to spend another £300 on an amplifier for them, I guess that my Xonar STX would not be great with the HE500...

post #8312 of 18022
You shoul consider trying with he-400 be4 getting he-500
post #8313 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

Hmmm if I could use my speaker amp (NAD 326bee) for the HE500.... That makes them a lot more affordable, because I would not have to spend another £300 on an amplifier for them, I guess that my Xonar STX would not be great with the HE500...
As davidsh also advised..if ur budget is so tight or u dont wanna spend lots on an amp..try the he400.. Its easier to drive then the he500... For the money its a very good phone also and 209usd cheaper then the he500 biggrin.gif
post #8314 of 18022

I have already got the HE400...

 

My sig and picture might be a bit of a giveaway :p

 

Was hoping the HE-500 would be an upgrade to the HE400 treble and upper mids, with similar bass and lower mids etc.


Edited by nicholars - 10/2/13 at 9:06am
post #8315 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

I have already got the HE400...

My sig and picture might be a bit of a giveaway tongue.gif

Was hoping the HE-500 would be an upgrade to the HE400 treble and upper mids, with similar bass and lower mids etc.
Its a better phone overall... But it needs proper amping... Or else ur better off with ur he400. Imho
post #8316 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

I have already got the HE400...

 

My sig and picture might be a bit of a giveaway :p

 

Was hoping the HE-500 would be an upgrade to the HE400 treble and upper mids, with similar bass and lower mids etc.

 

All I wanna say is make sure you read up on the sonic differences between the two and see whether that's what you'd like. To me the HE400 sounded more exciting with some songs, with stronger visceral bass, but I found the highs just too aggressive to be able to live with it. In comparison the HE500's tonal balance is a lot more flat. The highs are still a tad bit too strong for me personally but more tamed than the HE400. I found the detail retrieval a great improvement as well. 

post #8317 of 18022
Big difference the he500 does not have the crazy treble or sound off on female vocals. Worth the upgrade
post #8318 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

I have already got the HE400...

 

My sig and picture might be a bit of a giveaway :p

 

Was hoping the HE-500 would be an upgrade to the HE400 treble and upper mids, with similar bass and lower mids etc.

 

The HE-500 is much better IMO, as I had the HE-400 previously. The treble isn't as hot, so sibilance and ear-fatigue are much less prevalent. However, the treble retains enough energy to still have a little sparkle.

 

On top of that, and my favourite part of the HE-500 is that the mids don't sound as scooped out and far away like they do with the HE-400s. Rather, it's quite the opposite. The mids are smooth, slightly warm but still neutral, and much more up-front relative to the HE-400s, making vocals sound more intimate and better in general. Something about the rendering of timbre with the HE-500s.

 

To me, unlike other people in this thread, can't tell much of a difference with the bass. People tell me the bass of the HE-400 extends lower, and that the HE-500s bass is "woolly", but I honestly have no idea what "woolly" means, and that the HE-500s bass sounds just fine to me.

post #8319 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post

The HE-500 is much better IMO, as I had the HE-400 previously. The treble isn't as hot, so sibilance and ear-fatigue are much less prevalent. However, the treble retains enough energy to still have a little sparkle.

On top of that, and my favourite part of the HE-500 is that the mids don't sound as scooped out and far away like they do with the HE-400s. Rather, it's quite the opposite. The mids are smooth, slightly warm but still neutral, and much more up-front relative to the HE-400s, making vocals sound more intimate and better in general. Something about the rendering of timbre with the HE-500s.

To me, unlike other people in this thread, can't tell much of a difference with the bass. People tell me the bass of the HE-400 extends lower, and that the HE-500s bass is "woolly", but I honestly have no idea what "woolly" means, and that the HE-500s bass sounds just fine to me.
+1 i agree totally... I had the he400.. And sold it after 3 months..couldnt live with those!but the he500 to my ears are just right...but as i said before..the he500 is very amp dependent... Find the right one and u will find it hard to let it go..even if u go to audeze lcd3 or he6..as this can has a very sweet soundsignature.. Imho ofcourse.
post #8320 of 18022

i sold yesterday my he-5le and now the battle is he-6 vs.he-500

probably, i keep my he-500.

a really good job in hifiman!

post #8321 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

MOTHER OF GOD. I never thought this day would come.

 



I really lol'd on this one.
post #8322 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexirius View Post
 

 

Something like this, four banana plugs at one end and a 1/4" jack at the other end. I just bought the materials and asked a DIY-er friend to do the soldering. I'm not very familiar with the NAD 326 bee design so make sure that your amplifier has shared (connected) grounds, because if the grounds are separate (as in dual mono and bridged designs) they will create a short when they meet in the single-ended jack.

 

 

Who makes them? My DIY achievements are limited to making coffee etc. :o

post #8323 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTV View Post

 

Who makes them? My DIY achievements are limited to making coffee etc. " src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/redface.gif" />




I am the same, so I just bought the materials and sought the help of a hobbyist friend who is handy with a soldering iron. Page 1 of the emotiva thread mentions that you can order cables like this from BTG-Audio and zynsonix.com:



http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project


Edited by rexirius - 10/3/13 at 10:43am
post #8324 of 18022

Just be wary with those adapters with certain amps that use split ground planes you will damage your amp using an adapter like that. It is better to use an XLR -> speaker tap adapter to be on the safe side. The Emotiva uses a shared plane as far as I aware so there it should be fine.


Edited by daerron - 10/3/13 at 11:24am
post #8325 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by daerron View Post

Just be wary with those adapters with certain amps that use split ground planes you will damage your amp using an adapter like that. It is better to use an XLR -> speaker tap adapter to be on the safe side. The Emotiva uses a shared plane as far as I aware so there it should be fine.


 



+1. Safest route to go is the HE-adapter and their 4 pin xlr cable. That will run you $250. Otherwise I've seen this: http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Banana_to_1_4_Headphone_Jack_adapter_p/the0000005.htm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .