Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 550

post #8236 of 14265
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
 

Speaking of amps... I'm expecting my Burson Soloist to handle the HE-500 well when it does arrive.  Reasonable expectation?

 

Oh yeah, the Soloist will be a great pairing. Seriously though, check out the jergpad mod. It takes the 500 to a different level.

post #8237 of 14265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatrix View Post

 

I run my HE500 through a WA7 most of the time and they sound great together . Anything over 50% on the dial and they turn into desk top speakers, still no audible distortion but I definitely would not put them on my head.

 


Do you have this problem at 1 kHz? It's not a minor difference mind you. It's quite substantial and the sound is warped especially compared to after listening with EQ.
post #8238 of 14265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatrix View Post
 

 

I run my HE500 through a WA7 most of the time and they sound great together . Anything over 50% on the dial and they turn into desk top speakers, still no audible distortion but I definitely would not put them on my head.

That is great to hear.  There must have been something going on with the setup at the recent CA meet where I tried the WA7 with my HE500.  Thx for clearing this up.  I found it surprising too.

post #8239 of 14265
Does a balanced system help the sound of the 500s
post #8240 of 14265

@ Sonido 

Is your source the HTC One ?

If yes, then this might be causing the problem with mids. HTC One has this "superb" beats audio EQ which is literally killing music. Even if you turn beats option off WA7 will still amplify crappy audio. Try connecting HE-500 to a CD player or computer via WA7. 


Edited by Georgo94 - 9/27/13 at 11:11am
post #8241 of 14265
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna47 View Post

Does a balanced system help the sound of the 500s

 

Maybe, but only if apart from balanced is also better than a similarly priced single end system. Just being balanced does not guarantee anything.

post #8242 of 14265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgo94 View Post
 

@ Sonido 

Is your source the HTC One ?

If yes, then this might be causing the problem with mids. HTC One has this "superb" beats audio EQ which is literally killing music. Even if you turn beats option off WA7 will still amplify crappy audio. Try connecting HE-500 to a CD player or computer via WA7.

Also tried with computer usb same problem. And no I'm not using beats. The EQing was done through Poweramp at only 1 kHz and I EQed on computer with windows media player for the same result. Currently I'm in the process of burning it in at home. Will know if there is any improvement tonight.

post #8243 of 14265

Fun story for u guys 

 

JUST read a Head Fi Virgin review of the T90 and HE500... he felt the HE500 had better details [not by much but enough]

 

Which is nice to hear, since I'm thinking I'll b very busy trying the HE500 HE 5LE and T90, along with what ever else is in their price range and sound signiture [maybe the new AKG can as well]

 

still it's always nice to hear a new member's take on things! [he did like the T90 over the He 500 but still, you know :3]

post #8244 of 14265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 

Do you have this problem at 1 kHz? It's not a minor difference mind you. It's quite substantial and the sound is warped especially compared to after listening with EQ.

No sound warping at all

All I can suggest goes along the lines of Georgo94 just swap around components and see if you can isolate the source of the problem.

 

As for balanced drive

When  I am not using the WA7 I run the HE500 balanced out of a Violectric HPA V181, it is a very different amp so it is hard to compare.

Where the Woo is like a candle lit smoke filled jazz club full of atmosphere the Violectric is like a laboratory all about resolution and detail.

I think the balanced vs se difference is quite small with the HE500, my Senn HD650 shows a much greater contrast between balanced and se drive.

In the end I prefer the HE500 via the Woo and the HD650 out of the Violectric.

post #8245 of 14265

Ok some updates. I've been running them non-stop as to burn them in. After at least 24 hours now, the sound is still off, but not by as much. In fact, to get the "right" sound, the EQ I'm applying at 1 kHz has dropped from -10 dB to -4 dB. Perhaps this is all a burning in issue, as the manual says to burn in for 150 hours. I'm about to do some objective testing with a frequency response app on my phone and play some white noise to see how it compared with the given frequency graph.

post #8246 of 14265

 

Definitely a bump around 1 kHz. Falls in line with the 4 dB difference. I'm sure before burning in last night it was even more pronounced

 

Used O2+ODAC with computer for testing.


Edited by Sonido - 9/27/13 at 5:56pm
post #8247 of 14265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post




Definitely a bump around 1 kHz. Falls in line with the 4 dB difference. I'm sure before burning in last night it was even more pronounced

Used O2+ODAC with computer for testing.
What app is that?
post #8248 of 14265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post


What app is that?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.julian.apps.AudioTool&hl=en

post #8249 of 14265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 

 

Definitely a bump around 1 kHz. Falls in line with the 4 dB difference. I'm sure before burning in last night it was even more pronounced

 

Used O2+ODAC with computer for testing.

 

You're sure? Do you have a graph or measurement of that to display?

post #8250 of 14265
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcykler View Post
 

 

You're sure? Do you have a graph or measurement of that to display?

Unfortunately I didn't think to do any measurements last night before I had already burned it in for 24 hours. But after 24 hours it's gotten a lot better, difference dropped from -10 to -4 dB through EQ just basing off what I find natural sounding. I'm gonna continue burning them, and I'll try to take measurements ever 24 hours. Hopefully it'll lose the hump.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .