Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 548

post #8206 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

SR-007, I haven't had the chance to try but SR-009 driven by a BH, I did listen quite a bit at the recent CA meet.  IMO, HE500 has no chance in this fight but it's not a fair comparison in this case, of course.  I still drool every time I remember the sound of that wicked combo.  :p

 

Yea I can only imagine. Unfortunately SR-009 with a maxed out amp won't be happening for some time. Just something more casual, so I thought, why not SR-007. Trying to squeeze in some opinions when I can. Still waiting on dealer to stock them. Could be a few months.

 

Right now, mostly listening to this in Ipod dock mode a.k.a. ZoomBox :D  Some classical radio station, pretty cool stuff. Away from all the dubs and wubs.

 

LCD-3's still get occasional listening from time to time as well though....

post #8207 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

maybe no chance against stax

 

but with TOTL amps, the HE-500 holds its own against the Abyss though, and in many ways, outperforms it :D 

I would agree with that statement about 90%.  :D

IMO, the Abyss is a mix in sound between the HE500 and HE-6.  I listened to the Abyss driven by a liquid gold.

post #8208 of 16151

Damn it!  My HE-500 is on the way (for $550 new, I couldn't resist... take that, wallet!)... it's supposed to be here tomorrow via UPS ground...

 

... and now the status on the package is "Exception" due to "Train derailment".  I guess I have to wait longer to join your ranks.

 

Related: http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2013-09-25/train-wreck-near-highland-park-school-injures-4

post #8209 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
 

Damn it!  My HE-500 is on the way (for $550 new, I couldn't resist... take that, wallet!)... it's supposed to be here tomorrow via UPS ground...

 

... and now the status on the package is "Exception" due to "Train derailment".  I guess I have to wait longer to join your ranks.

 

Related: http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2013-09-25/train-wreck-near-highland-park-school-injures-4

 

It would be worth the wait.  Be patient. :p 

post #8210 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
 

Damn it!  My HE-500 is on the way (for $550 new, I couldn't resist... take that, wallet!)... it's supposed to be here tomorrow via UPS ground...

 

 

 

May I ask where you purchased new HE-500s for that price?  If that's now allowed in the Forums, a PM would be appreciated.

cheers.

post #8211 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
 

Damn it!  My HE-500 is on the way (for $550 new, I couldn't resist... take that, wallet!)... it's supposed to be here tomorrow via UPS ground...

 

... and now the status on the package is "Exception" due to "Train derailment".  I guess I have to wait longer to join your ranks.

 

Related: http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2013-09-25/train-wreck-near-highland-park-school-injures-4

 

550usd new? ru serious?? thats FAR under the regular (fixed) going price all over the world of 699usd/euro/GBP (in france a company sells them for 650euro if i am not mistaken)...

 

tip: be careful not to brag around to much about it...as those extreme low prices are a bit illigal (as far i know) if u bought it from an official seller for a new model he500..sellers cant sell their he500 for that amount of money as far i understand..ur a lucky man my friend!!! congrats and i hope u get it soon, as really,  its one heck of a phone!! u wont regret it a bit!!! :D

post #8212 of 16151

I too ordered the HE500 at the $550 price (from http://www.razordogaudio.com/ Coupon code: RAZORDOG150). It came in today and I'm driving it with a Woo Audio WA7, which isn't too powerful, but people here have said it's decent. My impressions are that the imaging is amazing, and it is more revealing than my other headphones (HD700, T90), and what I've noticed the revealing isn't just due to treble increase, but actual more reveal, like I can hear breathing and lip and tongue sounds from singers in pauses. Overall I'm quite impressed.

 

However, there is just one problem. I've heard these are suppose to have amazing midrange, but for me it's quite the opposite. Vocals, especially female, sound off and harsh. Same thing with aggressive electric guitar riffs. The sound I can describe best as harsh, recessed, and cavernous (reverberations). Definitely does not sound as good as my other headphones on these songs. Does it just need burning in, or maybe my amp isn't giving it enough juice and there are distortions? The WA7 is rated to give about 1 watt at the 38 ohms from what I've heard. I found this to happen especially on some JPop tracks. Quality of files are either 320 kbps or ~256 kbps VBR V0. Also volume level I'd estimate to be around 85-90 dB. One other odd thing is while I'm running my amp on Lo-Z, switching to Hi-Z doesn't change the volume or sound at all to me.

 

Does anyone else experience this?


Edited by Sonido - 9/26/13 at 9:40pm
post #8213 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexby View Post
 

 

May I ask where you purchased new HE-500s for that price?  If that's now allowed in the Forums, a PM would be appreciated.

cheers.

 

It was in the most dangerous thread of all... the deals thread.  Ordered from razordogaudio.com:

 

"Now thru the end of September, get 20% off any HiFiMAN item over $249 with coupon code RAZORDOG20"

 

In addition, there's a RAZORDOG150 code that gave $150 off the $699 price... so $549, saving an extra $10.

post #8214 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 

I too ordered the HE500 at the $550 price (from http://www.razordogaudio.com/ Coupon code: RAZORDOG150). It came in today and I'm driving it with a Woo Audio WA7, which isn't too powerful, but people here have said it's decent. My impressions are that the imaging is amazing, and it is more revealing than my other headphones (HD700, T90), and what I've noticed the revealing isn't just due to treble increase, but actual more reveal, like I can hear breathing and lip and tongue sounds from singers in pauses. Overall I'm quite impressed.

 

However, there is just one problem. I've heard these are suppose to have amazing midrange, but for me it's quite the opposite. Vocals, especially female, sound off and harsh. Same thing with aggressive electric guitar riffs. The sound I can describe best as harsh and piercing. Definitely does not sound as good as my other headphones on these songs. Does it just need burning in, or maybe my amp isn't giving it enough juice and there are distortions? The WA7 is rated to give about 1 watt at the 38 ohms from what I've heard. I found this to happen especially on some JPop tracks. Quality of files are either 320 kbps or ~256 kbps VBR V0. Also volume level I'd estimate to be around 85-90 dB. One other odd thing is while I'm running my amp on Lo-Z, switching to Hi-Z doesn't change the volume or sound at all to me.

 

Does anyone else experience this?

 

on their site the he500 is stated as 699usd as normal again..so somehow u guys got a rebate of 150usd? i wonder how they pay that from..maybe they had some (newish) reburbished models laying around?..mine is a refurbished model also who got broken within 2 weeks time (one side went dead i understand)...the customer got a new one and the seller got the completely repaired back from hifiman (with warranty)..and i bought it as new (with all papers) for 625usd from them..with new drivers on both sides..

 

damn u guys are in luck as i just checked their site and they stopped??? (or i read it wrong) their rebate program on the hifiman models maybe the other official agents found out? :D..check this:

 

2. The instant rebate offer seems too good to be true! What’s the catch?
At RazorDog! Audio our goal is to give you the lowest prices. So there’s no catch, other than the HiFiMAN and KEF products are not eligible as well as the Sennheiser HD 598, HD 600, HD 650, HD 700 and HD 800. Please contact us if you have questions about your order. NOTE: The instant rebate ONLY applies to orders placed on razordogaudio.com. eBay orders are not eligible. Cannot be combined with any other discount code or promo.

 

that specific line is written so weird..does it mean they do give a rebate for the hifiman and kef or dont? :confused: 

 

ps...i always complement companies who try to do it differently then others and in this case pricing..well done..now people with a tight budget can afford the he500 (or could..lolz)..

 

ABOUT THE STRANGE MIDRANGE....NEVER HEARD THAT! BEST THING ON THE HE500 IS ITS MIDRANGE..and the wa7 is said to drive it pretty well...

something is not acting as it should...did u try the he500 on another amp? to check of its a faulty phone or ur amp?


Edited by hifimanrookie - 9/26/13 at 9:17pm
post #8215 of 16151

Did you try the coupon code? Also I ordered when i first heard about it in the Deals thread. From what I understand Razor Dog started selling Hifiman products about a week ago, and they sent a newsletter to those subscribed with the coupon code for the discount. I guess they were doing it as celebration of carrying Hifiman. Perhaps once Hifiman got wind of the coupon, they told them to stop.

 

Also even if they aren't actively offering the deal anymore, you can still try emailing the guy about it. My friend got a new HD800 for $1199 from him just by emailing. They take offers, you just gotta know that's an option to do.


Edited by Sonido - 9/26/13 at 9:20pm
post #8216 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

Did you try the coupon code? Also I ordered when i first heard about it in the Deals thread. From what I understand Razor Dog started selling Hifiman products about a week ago, and they sent a newsletter to those subscribed with the coupon code for the discount. I guess they were doing it as celebration of carrying Hifiman. Perhaps once Hifiman got wind of the coupon, they told them to stop.

Also even if they aren't actively offering the deal anymore, you can still try emailing the guy about it. My friend got a new HD800 for $1199 from him just by emailing. They take offers, you just gotta know that's an option to do.

It could be they got their first shipment for a promotional price and that they gave the discount one on one to their customers.. And now that stock is gone....normal pricing..but its a guessing here ofcourse..in the end what matters is that now people who wouldnt buy one because of the price actually could afford this phone..in that light..well done razor! tongue.gif
Good to know when i want to upgrade to a he6 next year after receiving my new amp... tongue.gif thanks for the tip... biggrin.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 9/26/13 at 9:35pm
post #8217 of 16151

Speaking of amps... I'm expecting my Burson Soloist to handle the HE-500 well when it does arrive.  Reasonable expectation?

post #8218 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 

I too ordered the HE500 at the $550 price (from http://www.razordogaudio.com/ Coupon code: RAZORDOG150). It came in today and I'm driving it with a Woo Audio WA7, which isn't too powerful, but people here have said it's decent. My impressions are that the imaging is amazing, and it is more revealing than my other headphones (HD700, T90), and what I've noticed the revealing isn't just due to treble increase, but actual more reveal, like I can hear breathing and lip and tongue sounds from singers in pauses. Overall I'm quite impressed.

 

However, there is just one problem. I've heard these are suppose to have amazing midrange, but for me it's quite the opposite. Vocals, especially female, sound off and harsh. Same thing with aggressive electric guitar riffs. The sound I can describe best as harsh, recessed, and cavernous (reverberations). Definitely does not sound as good as my other headphones on these songs. Does it just need burning in, or maybe my amp isn't giving it enough juice and there are distortions? The WA7 is rated to give about 1 watt at the 38 ohms from what I've heard. I found this to happen especially on some JPop tracks. Quality of files are either 320 kbps or ~256 kbps VBR V0. Also volume level I'd estimate to be around 85-90 dB. One other odd thing is while I'm running my amp on Lo-Z, switching to Hi-Z doesn't change the volume or sound at all to me.

 

Does anyone else experience this?

 

Sonido, WA7 is a lovely amp but it's not one for the HE500, IMO of course.  I've tried it personally and didn't care much for it.  WA7 was great with HD800, Q701 based on my experience.  

I bet you get that volume knob pretty high to drive the HE500, right?  ;)  

HE500's mid is anything but recessed and harsh.  Many people in this thread will tell you exactly the same.  If your HE500 sounds like that, check your source/amp.  Even with the WA7 driving it, it should not sound like that.  HE500 is very forgiving, even for lower rate mp3. Gluck.


Edited by koiloco - 9/26/13 at 10:18pm
post #8219 of 16151

Ok so I've been tweaking the EQ and have found the exact frequency that is giving me trouble! It is pretty much just the 1 kHz, but it's actually quite substantial. I did EQ tweak before on my T90, but it was 1 or 2 dB difference at most, but for the HE500 I had to apply -10 dB at 1 kHz to get it sounding right for me! Actually after the EQ, it sounds really good, and natural. Now that I compare to my other headphones, I can generate the same awful sound by adding dB at 1 kHz on my other headphones to replicate the sound the HE500 was producing without EQ.

 

Btw I also tried with my other amp, O2. Same problem at 1 kHz. Do you think I got a defective pair (though happening to both drivers) or just lacking burn-in?

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

 

Sonido, WA7 is a lovely amp but it's not one for the HE500, IMO of course.  I've tried it personally and didn't care much for it.  WA7 was great with HD800, Q701 based on my experience.  

I bet you get that volume knob pretty high to drive the HE500, right?  ;)  

HE500's mid is anything but recessed and harsh.  Many people in this thread will tell you exactly the same.  If your HE500 sounds like that, check your source/amp.  Even with the WA7 driving it, it should not sound like that.  HE500 is very forgiving, even for lower rate mp3. Gluck.

 

Actually only have volume to 40%.


Edited by Sonido - 9/26/13 at 11:19pm
post #8220 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

Actually only have volume to 40%.
Whatttt? How is that even possible? The wa7 at the meet was at 3 to 4pm driving my he500. Unless they had computer volume way way down which I don't think it was cuz other HPs were loud enough at around 12pm. Weird.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .