Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 537

post #8041 of 14598
Quote:
Originally Posted by highrolller View Post

Does that outperform the Lyr? 

EDIT: whats the difference between tube and SS?

I cannot answer that one never heard the emo.

Its a speaker amp though you should know and its solid state. It is supposed to be very very good with orthos mind you the lyr is great with them as well.

I'd answer the second question as well but I'm posting this on the train. off to the football - preliminary final. Go hawks.
post #8042 of 14598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leliana View Post


I cannot answer that one never heard the emo.

Its a speaker amp though you should know and its solid state. It is supposed to be very very good with orthos mind you the lyr is great with them as well.

I'd answer the second question as well but I'm posting this on the train. off to the football - preliminary final. Go hawks.

 

Oh. May you please explain the differences between a tube amp and solid state? I hear people say stuff like "I prefer a "tubey" sound" I just dont quite understand... :confused:

 

BTW, who is in your display picture Leliana?

post #8043 of 14598
Quote:
 preliminary final. Go hawks.

 

+1

post #8044 of 14598
Quote:
Originally Posted by highrolller View Post

Does that outperform the Lyr? 

EDIT: whats the difference between tube and SS?
Tip...google for : differences between tube and solid state amps

And u cant just say all SS amps are cold sounding...as u have different kind of SS amps..example: opamp based amps tend to sound warmer then a discrete built amp...

and about tube amps... U have full tube amps (like the wonderfull 337 i had or woo audio amps) and hybrids (like the lyr) and every single tube amp sound different...some sound warmer then others..

last year i had sylvania powertubes in the 337 and people said it sounded like a bit warm sounding SS amp..one woo audio owner even said he hated the sound as it didnt sound like a tube amp at all with those tubes.

My advice before u start reading and get lost in all contradiction: go to a meeting or a higher quality audio shop.. D listen two both kind of amps...advice..try to compare a more expensive tube amp..as the cheaper ones tend to sound bad compared to a regular SS amp as its more expensive to built a tube amp then a SS amp in general..

JUST listen to both ways of amping.. u have many in between as i just explained...

Ps.planars generally dont go well with FULL tube amps..there are a few who do..being the WA7 and the 337/339 and few others..

Some things about tube amps:u can change the sound to ur likings by tube rolling(=changing tubes and emptying ur wallet in a big way..lolz)..
tubes need to be replaced after a while..
tube amps are less economic with electricity!.a SS amp has lower running costs..until it breaks down..then ur f...cked..as its much harder to repair a SS amp compared to a regular tube amp...
my 337 had one positive..on colder winter days i didnt need to warm up the room..as the heat my 337 generated when on was enough to keep me warm when i was closeby while listening!! wink.gif
And tube amps tend to look more sexy and romantic at night..there is nothing sexier then 4tubes glowing in the dark when they are warm
Tubeamps need to warm up before they are on their best (15-30min)
And the 337 i owned had some particular ways..like u couldnt switch it on or off while the headphones were connected..and had to wait 15sec before u did..and wen switching on or off u had to put volume on zero..u couldnt switch it on immediately after switching off..u had to wait at least 5min...and some other thingies..first weeks i used a paper with those things written on it when i bought it biggrin.gif

Hope u now have an idea..as i siad..u can find this also on google..good luck with it.
Edited by hifimanrookie - 9/20/13 at 1:00am
post #8045 of 14598

Colder Solid State amps if you live in a warmer climate like I do, and wamer Tube amps if you live in a cold environment! :D Google is your friend and wants to help you!

 

A lot of the differences in sound between the two are related to how harmonics, distortion etc. are handled. It is impossible to generalise though, there are SS sounding valve amps and tubey sounding SS amps, in the end both are tools to obtain the same thing.


Edited by daerron - 9/20/13 at 1:05am
post #8046 of 14598
Quote:
Originally Posted by daerron View Post

Colder Solid State amps if you live in a warmer climate like I do, and wamer Tube amps if you live in a cold environment! biggrin.gif  Google is your friend and wants to help you!
Lolz..thats funny... I heard of people in india having tube amps....but i agree..if ur house is 40degrees celcius hot then a even hotter tube amp is not really the best combo to ensure reability..BUT airco and ventilators are ur best friend biggrin.gif
post #8047 of 14598
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Lolz..thats funny... I heard of people in india having tube amps....but i agree..if ur house is 40degrees celcius hot then a even hotter tube amp is not really the best combo to ensure reability..BUT airco and ventilators are ur best friend biggrin.gif

 

The mercury is spinning 30C here, but the fan on my Emotiva Mini-X isn't spinning yet! Hows that for chilly solid state! :D

post #8048 of 14598
Quote:
Originally Posted by daerron View Post
 

 

The mercury is spinning 30C here, but the fan on my Emotiva Mini-X isn't spinning yet! Hows that for chilly solid state! :D

 

Oh come on man. I live in India and I've listened to the Lyr at 40C (in air conditioned comfort though) 

:veryevil:

post #8049 of 14598
beerchug.gif
post #8050 of 14598
Quote:
Originally Posted by highrolller View Post
 

 

Oh. May you please explain the differences between a tube amp and solid state? I hear people say stuff like "I prefer a "tubey" sound" I just dont quite understand... :confused:

 

BTW, who is in your display picture Leliana?

 

By a "tubey sound" they are referring to a warmth/ bump in the mid range which has been stereotyped to come from tube amplifiers. Of course as it has been explained above not all tube amps or solid state amps sound the same. Different tubes produce different results. Best to take each amp on its individual merits for your headphone. The Lyr is a hybrid of SS and tube, and it does very well with the HE-500. The emotiva is a very powerful amp that delivers a lot of overhead power to a inefficient headphone. The Lyr also has a lot of power but not as much.

 

Pretty sure most of the other stuff has been explained.

 

Nirrimi Hakanson is the person in my avatar.

 

Off to party now :D

post #8051 of 14598
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

 

 

Nice pic, but I'm not relating audio quality to price -.-, I'm just on a plan to try great headphones at ALL price ranges. So I'm working my way up through the Price Tiers as I have defined them, will all Hi Fi priced cans sound good, ofc not the same as all Mid and Low Fi cans do not sound bad

 
sheesh 
post #8052 of 14598

I should be joining the HE-500 club and Emotiva Mini X club myself. I'm getting both and a dac with them (not sure on this one yet). I'm using the HE adapter to rig it up. I should also be getting the alpha dogs as well.

 

Be interesting to see how much of an upgrade the HE-500 is over the MDR V6. Hope to be blown away!

post #8053 of 14598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leliana View Post
 

 

By a "tubey sound" they are referring to a warmth/ bump in the mid range which has been stereotyped to come from tube amplifiers. Of course as it has been explained above not all tube amps or solid state amps sound the same. Different tubes produce different results. Best to take each amp on its individual merits for your headphone. The Lyr is a hybrid of SS and tube, and it does very well with the HE-500. The emotiva is a very powerful amp that delivers a lot of overhead power to a inefficient headphone. The Lyr also has a lot of power but not as much.

 

Pretty sure most of the other stuff has been explained.

 

Nirrimi Hakanson is the person in my avatar.

 

Off to party now :D

 

Cheers! Thought the avatar was you haha.;)

 
BTW: I modded my J$ Pads for my HE500 today. Its a simple mod that requires no skill at all... I suck at DIY and if I can do it, a toddler can so you ought to try it if you have the J$ Pads. 
It's just ripping the "pantyhose" fabric from the stock pleather HiFiMan pads and taking that fabric and double sided taping it to the back of the retention ring. It acts as a guard for the drivers and also tames the highs quite a bit. Also looks better in my opinion. The J$ Pads have a much larger soundstage than the normal pads but some bass quantity and quality are compromised for the comfort and soundstage. The sub bass is more "wooly" and "fat" but speed and decay seem the same. The mid bass is some what tighter but lacking that texture from the stock pleathers with the jergpad mod. Also, I thought the J$ pads were a bit hard or stiff for my liking so I lifted my computer case which is probably a good 10 - 15 kgs and placed the pads under there for a few hours and took them out just now and they are now much softer and a tiny bit flatter obviously. Much more comfortable though. One thing I hate about the J$ Pads is that the ear hole is smaller than the stock pads and therefore, making my ears sweat and heat up faster than any other pad I've used to date and that is an issue for me due to wearing headphones for 10+ hours a day in one session but I can deal with it. These pads are awesome!

 

EDIT: There's more isolation too! Barely any though, its an open design headphone obviously


Edited by highrolller - 9/21/13 at 2:14am
post #8054 of 14598
Quote:
Originally Posted by highrolller View Post
 

 

Cheers! Thought the avatar was you haha.;)

 
BTW: I modded my J$ Pads for my HE500 today. Its a simple mod that requires no skill at all... I suck at DIY and if I can do it, a toddler can so you ought to try it if you have the J$ Pads. 
It's just ripping the "pantyhose" fabric from the stock pleather HiFiMan pads and taking that fabric and double sided taping it to the back of the retention ring. It acts as a guard for the drivers and also tames the highs quite a bit. Also looks better in my opinion. The J$ Pads have a much larger soundstage than the normal pads but some bass quantity and quality are compromised for the comfort and soundstage. The sub bass is more "wooly" and "fat" but speed and decay seem the same. The mid bass is some what tighter but lacking that texture from the stock pleathers with the jergpad mod. Also, I thought the J$ pads were a bit hard or stiff for my liking so I lifted my computer case which is probably a good 10 - 15 kgs and placed the pads under there for a few hours and took them out just now and they are now much softer and a tiny bit flatter obviously. Much more comfortable though. One thing I hate about the J$ Pads is that the ear hole is smaller than the stock pads and therefore, making my ears sweat and heat up faster than any other pad I've used to date and that is an issue for me due to wearing headphones for 10+ hours a day in one session but I can deal with it. These pads are awesome!

 

EDIT: There's more isolation too! Barely any though, its an open design headphone obviously

 

Bass is tighter but lacks texture... sounds like the Dt 990 bass 

post #8055 of 14598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

 

Bass is tighter but lacks texture... sounds like the Dt 990 bass 

 

Never heard em before but yeah with the J$ Pads, its slightly tighter but loses that texture you could hear before maybe due to the drivers being further away from your ears?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .