Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 534

post #7996 of 14659
Edited as life is too short and there is a block button
Edited by detoxguy - 9/18/13 at 11:29pm
post #7997 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by barretp View Post
 

 

I agree with DSG as I said something similar in my previous posts comparing it to the Q701s. DSG, in your opinion, do you think this smoothness or thickness can be lifted by any amp? Maybe I should enjoy them for a while and upgrade to the HE6s in the future. I wish we could combine the fullness of the HE500s sound with the clarity and resolution of the HD800s. 

 

well its always still gonna be there, more with pleathers than with velours, it does improve SIGNIFICANTLY though as your rig improves.

 

when i upgraded my DAC, the different was most noticeable on HE-500. out of all my headphones, the HE-500 improved the most, they no longer felt mid-fi, i was convinced with this upgrade that they where definitely worthy of high end status. with my GSX MK2, the changes where even bigger, now i don't really see the smoothness or thickness as a coloration, a veil, or a lack of resolution. the transparency went way up, the only smoothness now is from the headphones own sound signature and it increases if you add pleathers. 

 

the HE-500 still will always lack the ultimate detail and resolving ability of the HD 800s and T1s, but the transparency is there, as well as the clarity. some might still want a little more from the HE-500, but some might be very happy since they feel that they prefer the HE-500s musicality to the extra nuances and details.

 

overall, the HE-500 scale very well and improve greatly with better amping and by having a better source.

post #7998 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by barretp View Post
 

 

I agree with DSG as I said something similar in my previous posts comparing it to the Q701s. DSG, in your opinion, do you think this smoothness or thickness can be lifted by any amp? Maybe I should enjoy them for a while and upgrade to the HE6s in the future. I wish we could combine the fullness of the HE500s sound with the clarity and resolution of the HD800s. 

 

I don't think this can be lifted either. I really enjoy my HE-500 but it's something that's an attribute of the headphone.  After, IDK how long anymore, almost 2 years of owning the HE-500 with various amps, I've come to the conclusion it's not something that can be remedied. In otherwords, it's not something that comes from inadequate amplification. In my opinion, it seems like a compromise that comes with the warmish, smooth sound that makes the HE-500 so easy to listen to. I don't really find it a negative thing, it's a small trade off for a headphone that I can listen to for as many hours a day as I please.

 
Furthermore if it's not something that the GSX MK2 can do well it's probably not an amplification problem :P. The taboo is very good with the HE-500, as well as my bakoon amp. I felt the taboo was slightly better at bringing a certain non fatiguing sharpness (possibly due to a certain synergy with my dac and havana output tube selection). Really though it's a small difference and the hda-5210mk3 is a significantly better amp to my ears.
post #7999 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

well its always still gonna be there, more with pleathers than with velours, it does improve SIGNIFICANTLY though as your rig improves.

 

when i upgraded my DAC, the different was most noticeable on HE-500. out of all my headphones, the HE-500 improved the most, they no longer felt mid-fi, i was convinced with this upgrade that they where definitely worthy of high end status. with my GSX MK2, the changes where even bigger, now i don't really see the smoothness or thickness as a coloration, a veil, or a lack of resolution. the transparency went way up, the only smoothness now is from the headphones own sound signature and it increases if you add pleathers.

 

the HE-500 still will always lack the ultimate detail and resolving ability of the HD 800s and T1s, but the transparency is there, as well as the clarity. some might still want a little more from the HE-500, but some might be very happy since they feel that they prefer the HE-500s musicality to the extra nuances and details.

 

overall, the HE-500 scale very well and improve greatly with better amping and by having a better source.

 

you confirm my opinion.

post #8000 of 14659

Topic of the day for the HE500, what are the differences between the 2 terms "clarity" and "resolution" when used to describe audio quality?  :confused:

post #8001 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Topic of the day for the HE500, what are the differences between the 2 terms "clarity" and "resolution" when used to describe audio quality?  :confused:

 

clarity is a more situational term that can be applied differently depending on what you are talking about such as how congested things might be. That's how I typically use it. A phone might sound congested or have great clarity with individual notes. Resolution, to me, is max potentail for detail reveal. You can have great detail but still have a congested sound if the driver cannot handle extremely complex passages.

post #8002 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Topic of the day for the HE500, what are the differences between the 2 terms "clarity" and "resolution" when used to describe audio quality?  :confused:

 

People can argue whichever term is perceptive and which one is physical (for example, perception of loudness vs actual amplitude...regardless, it all boils down to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_masking
 

Auditory masking. I highly suggest giving this a read through to anyone that "actually" wants to learn and understand, rather than spit out random theories or what people think "makes sense" or "sounds reasonable enough." Not to make this into a Science forum, but been seeing too much junk on this thread recently (Not directed towards anyone specifically).

post #8003 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Topic of the day for the HE500, what are the differences between the 2 terms "clarity" and "resolution" when used to describe audio quality?  :confused:

 

They are distinct traits, but they interact I think. Resolution revolves around the ability for the drivers to extract itty-bitty bits of nuance and detail, while clarity refers to the (lack of) factors like ringing, harmonic distortion, or simple FR unevenness that tend to mask real detail/fidelity.

 

With HE500, I would say it has good resolution across the board, and adequate clarity though far from the best (specifically, I find HE500+velours to have poor upper midrange/lower treble clarity, and +pleathers to have poor mid-midrange clarity; in general the cans suffer slightly in terms of bass clarity, and upper treble clarity is mediocre).

post #8004 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

They are distinct traits, but they interact I think. Resolution revolves around the ability for the drivers to extract itty-bitty bits of nuance and detail, while clarity refers to the (lack of) factors like ringing, harmonic distortion, or simple FR unevenness that tend to mask real detail/fidelity.

With HE500, I would say it has good resolution across the board, and adequate clarity though far from the best (specifically, I find HE500+velours to have poor upper midrange/lower treble clarity, and +pleathers to have poor mid-midrange clarity; in general the cans suffer slightly in terms of bass clarity, and upper treble clarity is mediocre).

+1

For me resolution is like u said, the drivers ability to extract musical information and present it. More resolution = drivers able to pick up stuff in the recordings, this is very similar to detail and microdetail/nuances, detail to me would be, how obvious that resolving ability is and how easily its heard, this can go from being analytical and hyperdetailed to being dull and veiled, a lack of detail in a sense. From crisp and sharp to dull blunt and subdued.

Clarity is more like transparency, how easy is it to hear the music, like an open window, how the headphones disappear and all you hear is what the artist intended, not in style but rather can you hear it all easily and well? Is there anything in the way. Do u feel like its a recording or a live performance? A headphone can lack clarity in a sense due to treble warmth and colorations, but still be transparent, like hd 650, its hard to hear some details and stuff especially in the treble. Also a lack of openness or a headphone too slow and congested can reduce clarity, clarity in a sense is everything as a whole, transparency, extension, detail, openness, naturalness, etc. transparency is more specific, how close you feel to the music. Grain, lack of detail, distortion, artifacts, lack of coherency, unnatural tones, harshness, obvious colorations, slowness and congestion, etc, i think would interfere with this.
Edited by Dubstep Girl - 9/19/13 at 8:46am
post #8005 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post


+1

For me resolution is like u said, the drivers ability to extract musical information and present it. More resolution = drivers able to pick up stuff in the recordings, this is very similar to detail and microdetail/nuances, detail to me would be, how obvious that resolving ability is and how easily its heard, this can go from being analytical and hyperdetailed to being dull and veiled, a lack of detail in a sense. From crisp and sharp to dull blunt and subdued.

Clarity is more like transparency, how easy is it to hear the music, like an open window, how the headphones disappear and all you hear is what the artist intended, not in style but rather can you hear it all easily and well? Is there anything in the way. Do u feel like its a recording or a live performance? A headphone can lack clarity in a sense due to treble warmth and colorations, but still be transparent, like hd 650, its hard to hear some details and stuff especially in the treble. Also a lack of openness or a headphone too slow and congested can reduce clarity, clarity in a sense is everything as a whole, transparency, extension, detail, openness, naturalness, etc. transparency is more specific, how close you feel to the music. Grain, lack of detail, distortion, artifacts, lack of coherency, unnatural tones, harshness, obvious colorations, slowness and congestion, etc, i think would interfere with this.

 

very nice +1 as well 

post #8006 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

 

They are distinct traits, but they interact I think. Resolution revolves around the ability for the drivers to extract itty-bitty bits of nuance and detail, while clarity refers to the (lack of) factors like ringing, harmonic distortion, or simple FR unevenness that tend to mask real detail/fidelity.

 

With HE500, I would say it has good resolution across the board, and adequate clarity though far from the best (specifically, I find HE500+velours to have poor upper midrange/lower treble clarity, and +pleathers to have poor mid-midrange clarity; in general the cans suffer slightly in terms of bass clarity, and upper treble clarity is mediocre).

 

I don't agree that HE-500 is "far from the best" and "poor" in clarity. Those sound like great exaggerations to me. It may be lacking clarity compared to some of the top-tiers, but compared to most headphones, I think HE-500 is very clear, while its resolution is one of the best I ever heard. HE-500 may seem lacking in clarity due to some roll off in the upper mids/lower treble and upper treble, but the actual quality is great on HE-500 - the sound is exceptionally clean, dynamic and articulate to my ears. I think that clarity and resolution may also seem lacking with HE-500, because it does not sound as sharp and defined as some other headphones. However, I wouldn't call the sound fuzzy or muddy, but rather naturally smooth.

post #8007 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post
 

 

I don't agree that HE-500 is "far from the best" and "poor" in clarity. Those sound like great exaggerations to me. It may be lacking clarity compared to some of the top-tiers, but compared to most headphones, I think HE-500 is very clear, while its resolution is one of the best I ever heard. HE-500 may seem lacking in clarity due to some roll off in the upper mids/lower treble and upper treble, but the actual quality is great on HE-500 - the sound is exceptionally clean, dynamic and articulate to my ears. I think that clarity and resolution may also seem lacking with HE-500, because it does not sound as sharp and defined as some other headphones. However, I wouldn't call the sound fuzzy or muddy, but rather naturally smooth.

what? you did not see his plug?  ;)

post #8008 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

I don't agree that HE-500 is "far from the best" and "poor" in clarity. Those sound like great exaggerations to me. It may be lacking clarity compared to some of the top-tiers, but compared to most headphones, I think HE-500 is very clear, while its resolution is one of the best I ever heard. HE-500 may seem lacking in clarity due to some roll off in the upper mids/lower treble and upper treble, but the actual quality is great on HE-500 - the sound is exceptionally clean, dynamic and articulate to my ears. I think that clarity and resolution may also seem lacking with HE-500, because it does not sound as sharp and defined as some other headphones. However, I wouldn't call the sound fuzzy or muddy, but rather naturally smooth.

Yeah compared to sub 500 dollar headphones and mid fi, yes the he-500 blows them away, here we talking about vs high ends and flagships
post #8009 of 14659

Here we go again.  It all comes down to money and who's spending more...Just like in any hobbies I've been through.:tongue_smile:  Thx all for your input/response.  I am stopping here cuz this is not going to go any further in my book.

post #8010 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post


Yeah compared to sub 500 dollar headphones and mid fi, yes the he-500 blows them away, here we talking about vs high ends and flagships

 

I'd put the HE 500 in that wierd Hi Fi low ground imo, like the T90 and LCD 2 are in that range, the LCD 3 HE 6 and T1 are above it, the W1000x the DT 880 and K702 are below it 

 
that's how I'm looking at the whole thing. Still I'm going to get the T90 and a tube next spring [ugh a balanced tube that's going to suck price wise] 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .