or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 54

post #796 of 18029

Great! I have the HD650

 

- Is that a common perception, that the HE500 is less fatiguing than the HD650?

post #797 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

Great! I have the HD650

 

- Is that a common perception, that the HE500 is less fatiguing than the HD650?



I have HD-650 and find that it is less fatiguing than HE-500 BUT when you properly equate HE-500 (remove the nasty resonance at about 9KHz and the smaller one around 100-200Hz - this is according to my feeling of what I am hearing and Tyll's measurements) the less distorded and grain free sound of HE-500 makes it less fatiguing.

I find myself listening with more sound volume on HE-500 with no problem. When I realize that the volume is too high for the longevity of my hearing I reduce it and enjoy music with much less fatigue than HD-650. All that with an HE-500 not burned-in at all (with only a couple of hours use).

post #798 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post


 

@Ultrainferno, can you be more specific?

 

 

Ayone else please join in :)



Hi Ardilla,

 

I think the "fatuiging" question depends a lot on the amplifier as well. In example I use the LCD-2.1 with a Violectric amp and the He-500 with a lafigaro tube amp.

In that context the HE-500 is much darker and lush sounding as the LCD-2. Bass detail on the LCD-2 is better, yet the He-500 setup has more punch or oompf and trebble is indeed more "present".

 

My favorite one is the He-500 (cause I don't like the LCD2 headband or leather) and because I love the He-500 sound on my system but imho if I'm objective and uniquely look at "soundsignature", I can see myself listening way longer to the LCD-2 as I can to the He-500. The He-500 to me is more fun, while the LCD-2 is quality.

 

One of my most sharished headphones ever is the HD650, I could never ever say that one is fatuiging at all (on tubes), you can't even feel it on your head and the sound is just so relaxing.

 

Again, I think it all depends on personnal preference and the combination with the used amp&dac, so I expect a lot of different opinions on this. And probably everyone posting below will no go stating I'm wrong, asking if I have my headphones mixed up and check if I'm mentally challenged. Something like that


Edited by Ultrainferno - 11/18/11 at 10:39am
post #799 of 18029

How would you compare the HD650 to the HE500 with regards to 3D-imaging
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post
Hi Ardilla,

 

One of my most sharished headphones ever is the HD650, I could never ever say that one is fatuiging at all (on tubes), you can't even feel it on your head and the sound is just so relaxing.

 

Again, I think it all depends on personnal preference and the combination with the used amp&dac, so I expect a lot of different opinions on this. And probably everyone posting below will no go stating I'm wrong, asking if I have my headphones mixed up and check if I'm mentally challenged. Something like that



 

post #800 of 18029

HE-500 has very unique imaging. The soundstage is not very wide, but there are many layers upon layers upon layers and you can clearly tell which instruments/voices are behind which. In this regard it is much superior to the LCD-2. I would call this soundstage depth, not sure if you meant this when you asked about 3D-imaging. You gotta hear it to believe, very different from my HD650 or Q701, which are wider and more distinct placement, yet with fewer layers/depth.

 

I was a skeptic of burn-in until I got the HE-500, they go through some wild swings the first 75 hours, settle close to 100 to 120, but hit the sweet spot near 200. (This is just my experience nothing more...)

 

Also, I find the LCD-2 R2 much more fun, better with pop/rock and the HE500 to be much better all rounders, better for slower paced music. LCD-2 has much more PRaT, not that HE500 doesn't have any.

 


Edited by M-13 - 11/18/11 at 12:01pm
post #801 of 18029

With 3D I meant "depth" like in front to back as opposed to left to right. I guess you answered "yes" to that :)

 

@M-13, which amp do you use?

post #802 of 18029

Lyr + 60s Telefunkens. Very happy with it so far, drives all my phones with authority/ease. Imaging is scary good with the Telefunkens...


Edited by M-13 - 11/18/11 at 12:55pm
post #803 of 18029

Strange that you find the HE500 less fun and less PRaT - others have said the complete opposite. But then, the AMPING is probably totally different :) Lyr vs Fiio E7.... e.g.

post #804 of 18029

For what it's worth... I find my conclusions are the same with the E9, although... the E9 isn't really driving them properly I guess...

 

I did a ton of research before I picked up the HE-500. If you go back and read some of the older threads... you will see more people confirming what I just said from people who own both the LCD-2 and HE-500. But yeah... I know you'll be very happy with either. That's why I own both since I couldn't decide atsmile.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

Strange that you find the HE500 less fun and less PRaT - others have said the complete opposite. But then, the AMPING is probably totally different :) Lyr vs Fiio E7.... e.g.



 

post #805 of 18029

I will be revisiting the HE500 with the new cable and pads as Fang is sending me a pair for review. I will be posting my review in the next few weeks and will be able to compare them side by side to the T1. I have also owned the LCD2,HD800 and HE6 so I can pretty much describe the differences on the different phones.

post #806 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

I will be revisiting the HE500 with the new cable and pads as Fang is sending me a pair for review. I will be posting my review in the next few weeks and will be able to compare them side by side to the T1. I have also owned the LCD2,HD800 and HE6 so I can pretty much describe the differences on the different phones.


It would be very interesting, thank you. Please check if the cable seems copper or silver to you. What revision of LCD-2 did you own?

 

post #807 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by plin View Post


It would be very interesting, thank you. Please check if the cable seems copper or silver to you. What revision of LCD-2 did you own?

 



I had and sold the LCD2 rev1 but remember ut well. Hopefully I will have an LCD3 at my meet also in January.

post #808 of 18029

Dr.Fang just sent me the new leather pad and the velour pads..and not to forget the new silver cable from Hifiman..its not copper its silver and im liking it more than the standard Canare..it seems that the cable brand name is the Acrolink (imo) Silver cable..its thin very very thin and light 24AWG im guessing...ill post the pics later..charging my camera...


Edited by keph - 11/20/11 at 11:26pm
post #809 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by keph View Post

Dr.Fang just sent me the new leather pad and the velour pads..and not to forget the new silver cable from Hifiman..its not copper its silver and im liking it more than the standard Canare..it seems that the cable brand name is the Acrolink (imo) Silver cable..its thin very very thin and light 24AWG im guessing...ill post the pics later..charging my camera...



 

 

Yes, please, pictures would be very helpful. I will, also, ask about this silver cable, because the one that they send me is surely a copper one, although it is better than the Canare. How do you contacted Dr. Fang?

post #810 of 18029

Looking forward to pics popcorn.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keph View Post

Dr.Fang just sent me the new leather pad and the velour pads..and not to forget the new silver cable from Hifiman..its not copper its silver and im liking it more than the standard Canare..it seems that the cable brand name is the Acrolink (imo) Silver cable..its thin very very thin and light 24AWG im guessing...ill post the pics later..charging my camera...



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .