or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 516

post #7726 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

Go for standard metal, maybe with venting holes.

Perspex/Acrylic looks very catchy at first sight, but gets old really fast (like a transparent acrylic PC case vs a classy Lian Li aluminum case if you catch my drift).
Venting holes are included in both versions of tops..and i know what u mean..i once had a full aluminium lian li case..timeless beauty! Thanks for sharing ur opinion..never thought about that!!
post #7727 of 18011

Also, I would look into the brightness of the LED. For example, at night with lights off when watching movies, the blue LED of the Emotiva is a bit annoying. So I always end up putting a dark cloth on it or something. Just thought of mentioning it.

 

BTW very elegant looking equipment.

post #7728 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

Also, I would look into the brightness of the LED. For example, at night with lights off when watching movies, the blue LED of the Emotiva is a bit annoying. So I always end up putting a dark cloth on it or something. Just thought of mentioning it.

BTW very elegant looking equipment.
The led light in the case only works on 40% of his max output i understand..they thought about that already..as they know i listen in complete darkness..but thanks for the tip!

Yes i love their look also..simple, classy, efficient and built like a tank to survive until u die..i hate screamy over the top designs..like huge colorful lcd screens or to much lighting..or a front which is to crowded..nope..nothing for me..simple and efficient are my keywords. wink.gif
U only need two things on front..headphone out (balanced) and the volume knob..nothing more or less...imho ofcourse.. Others like to play with multiple knobs biggrin.gif
post #7729 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk77 View Post

Take worst scenario and power efficiency at 8 (EDIT: 4) ohm rating then it would be closer to 7 Watts max (which I assume is 3.5W per channel). How is the noise level (hum at low volume) and heat? Is volume control good?

BTW where did you manange to find it at $200 delivered (I assume you bought it on eBay)? 
You're probably right with tge power calcs but it's oodles of power in any sense. The volume . Control is great since using the Audio Gd as a dac/preamp and the only hissing noise I get is if there is nothing playing, I've set the preamp levels really low and the Toppings volume quite high. Otherwise noise is not an issue
post #7730 of 18011
The Topping TP60 was from Ebay $211 aud delivered so under $200 USD. You need the link?
post #7731 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post


You're probably right with tge power calcs but it's oodles of power in any sense. The volume . Control is great since using the Audio Gd as a dac/preamp and the only hissing noise I get is if there is nothing playing, I've set the preamp levels really low and the Toppings volume quite high. Otherwise noise is not an issue

 

Not too intrusive (the hiss I mean)?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post

The Topping TP60 was from Ebay $211 aud delivered so under $200 USD. You need the link?

 

Nah found it...Cheers. I didn't have the right search settings.

post #7732 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post
 

Go for standard metal, maybe with venting holes.

 

Perspex/Acrylic looks very catchy at first sight, but gets old really fast (like a transparent acrylic PC case vs a classy Lian Li aluminum case if you catch my drift).

 

I wonder if smoked acylic which gets discolored over time would look reasonably new as compared to clear acrylic that gets discolored....food for thought I suppose. 

post #7733 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


The led light in the case only works on 40% of his max output i understand..they thought about that already..as they know i listen in complete darkness..but thanks for the tip!

Yes i love their look also..simple, classy, efficient and built like a tank to survive until u die..i hate screamy over the top designs..like huge colorful lcd screens or to much lighting..or a front which is to crowded..nope..nothing for me..simple and efficient are my keywords. wink.gif
U only need two things on front..headphone out (balanced) and the volume knob..nothing more or less...imho ofcourse.. Others like to play with multiple knobs biggrin.gif

 

Okay that's good. Yeah, the simple, minimalistic yet elegant approach is the best. That's one thing I love about my Marantz CD player. It should be pretty to look at whenever you do look at it, yet it shouldn't be an attention whore. Also, shiny glass tops look sexy but watch out for dust and scratch.

post #7734 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Amp is going to be totally opamp based..completely hardwired..no tubes..and also not really a SS amp..as i said before..it will be based on their NSL amp..to be said being outside the SS OR tube territory..
Standard material is black colored quality metal (no aluminium) and this is black smoked perspex.. This see-through look looks way cooler..but am afraid that it will be to much bling bling or affecting cooling efficiency..
Thats why i asked u guys.

 

See if he can fab a quick cover for your amp to make sure it works with the black housing...I would sooner try and match all sides of the housing, unless you can see some pretty internal work (sometimes it can get ugly in there and not nice for viewing) in which case perspex would be an option...

 

I would start to think about cooling efficiency if it's Class A monoblocks with little room inside. I normally cover my amps and equipment with a thin cloth to avoid gathering of dust so long as there aren't venting holes up top...

post #7735 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

Also, I would look into the brightness of the LED. For example, at night with lights off when watching movies, the blue LED of the Emotiva is a bit annoying. So I always end up putting a dark cloth on it or something. Just thought of mentioning it.

I put black electrical tape over all my LEDs, just cut it nicely so it looks good :)

post #7736 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

I put black electrical tape over all my LEDs, just cut it nicely so it looks good :)

 

Good idea. Although I kinda like the LED's at times, especially during the day. Trying to play both sides. :D

post #7737 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

 

Good idea. Although I kinda like the LED's at times, especially during the day. Trying to play both sides. :D

 

You can also poke a tiny hole in the tape and have the best of both worlds :)

post #7738 of 18011

Or make some small shutter blinds which you can uncover during the day....now that would take a bit of work

post #7739 of 18011

My PS Audio NuWave DAC has an acrylic cover and you always have to keep it clean from dust and fingerprints which gets kind of tedious after a while. I would think aluminium is your best best and I think it looks more classy. Nice amp that!

post #7740 of 18011
Upgrade to PWD2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .