or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 511

post #7651 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumelman8 View Post

La
Lastly, I'm 15 but I have a real passion for music, do you think this is too much money for such a young person?
My desk is pretty small, would the compass 2 9018 be too big or does it come with a long USB cable so I can move it somewhere somewhere else but still have it connected to my laptop?
 

 

If you're that young and you love music learn to play as many instruments as you can trust me you won't regret it. So that's what I would recommend you spend your money on.

 

Learning music and to play a wide variety of things will give you a very deep appreciation for music, especially if you already love it.

post #7652 of 18011

Can i point you in the direction of the Compass 2 thread as you can then get opinions from a wide range of people.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631659/audio-gd-compass-2-amp-dac-impressions-thread

post #7653 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

 

Yep, I have stated before that the HE-500/HE-6 really doesn't play well with the Mjolnir, but the HE-5LE does. I am also a believer of quality over quantity with amping.

It's not that the HE-500 doesn't play well with it. IMO, it does. I was just expecting a huge difference, which didn't happen at all.

post #7654 of 18011
How do you guys like the he500 with the schiit lyr and bifrost uber
post #7655 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna47 View Post

How do you guys like the he500 with the schiit lyr and bifrost uber

 

Funny you ask, I've been listening to such a set up for hours a day for a few days now!

frankly, I love it-  yet don't have a ton of comparison since I'm new to DAC/Amp Head-fi world and had the Uber BiFrost since May yet first paired with the Asgard2.

the A2 can certainly drive the HE-500, bass was superb and I didn't feel a "lack of power" at all with the A2 on High Gain switch.

 

if I didn't have other SS amps (DACport, DACmini) with other headphones (HD600), I likely would not have opted for trying a hybrid tube amp like the Lyr.

 

the Lyr (with Ediswan tubes) has taken the soundstage, separation and clarity up a notch for sure on the HD-500.  

bass seems a bit more refined, but not flabby either.

also gave the soundstage in some of my music a "taller" feel (not just wider) when picking out elements.

 

I didn't give the original GE tubes much time at all (a couple days) in the Lyr before the Ediswan tubes arrived.

 

With the added wattage of the Lyr, combined with flexibility of tubes (cheap or expensive, warm or transparent) the Lyr provides (to me) more "customizability" when other headphones besides the HE-500 or music sources come my way.  a tube tweak here or there can (de)emphasize whatever music "tonality" is the flavor of the month, especially since the HE-500 (to me) present almost every genre very well.

 

No buyers remorse for me on the Lyr at all, except for:

who wants to buy a mint condition A2?  :)

post #7656 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llloyd View Post
 

If you're that young and you love music learn to play as many instruments as you can trust me you won't regret it. So that's what I would recommend you spend your money on.

 

Learning music and to play a wide variety of things will give you a very deep appreciation for music, especially if you already love it.

A good instrument to start with? Shouldn't be too loud, nor too big but still big enough lol. I am thinking a bit about a violin or maybe just an acoustic guitar if I ever get to it.

post #7657 of 18011
Sorry I am now really confused whether I should buy the compass 2 or not? People don't seem to have found the setup very easy and it kinda makes me scared :/ would a schiit lyr and modi sound better than a compass 2 (not saying I can afford that)
post #7658 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

A good instrument to start with? Shouldn't be too loud, nor too big but still big enough lol. I am thinking a bit about a violin or maybe just an acoustic guitar if I ever get to it.

 

Most instruments are pretty loud. I would suggest trumpet, piano or guitar.

post #7659 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llloyd View Post
 

 

Most instruments are pretty loud. I would suggest trumpet, piano or guitar.

 

I concur.  17 is not a good age to start on violin!  Kind of very late already.

post #7660 of 18011

I have a question for those that own the HE-500. I'm strongly considering purchasing the HE-500 within the next few days. I want to know how well they pair up with my Magni/Modi stack. I read in a few places that they work pretty well together. Is this correct?

post #7661 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman5293 View Post
 

I have a question for those that own the HE-500. I'm strongly considering purchasing the HE-500 within the next few days. I want to know how well they pair up with my Magni/Modi stack. I read in a few places that they work pretty well together. Is this correct?

 

If budget is tight then that combo would be one of the best options but the HE500 would benefit tremendously from a bit more power.  The HE500 does scale very well with better amps later on.

post #7662 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

If budget is tight then that combo would be one of the best options but the HE500 would benefit tremendously from a bit more power.  The HE500 does scale very well with better amps later on.

Exactly,

I'm now using the Hifiman He-500 with Fiio E12, I've never experience this great combination before from the Chinese brand before tongue.gif
truly awesome.

Once I got extra money or in the retirement period, I am looking forward for the Japan (STAX-SR009) & USA (RSA Audio Dark Star) & UK (Toxic Cable) brand combination cool.gif
post #7663 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSantana View Post


Once I got extra money or in the retirement period, I am looking forward for the Japan (STAX-SR009) & USA (RSA Audio Dark Star) & UK (Toxic Cable) brand combination cool.gif

strange combination...

post #7664 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post

strange combination...

well, so far it is my dream combination based on the review and thread browse in this forum, at the moment I can only affords the Chinese made audiophile items which I use everyday and enjoy it (HE-500 and E12).
post #7665 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSantana View Post


well, so far it is my dream combination based on the review and thread browse in this forum, at the moment I can only affords the Chinese made audiophile items which I use everyday and enjoy it (HE-500 and E12).

 

okay. but you know that stax sr-009 needs a diferent amplifier and is not possible to put an aftermarket cable?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .