or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 507

post #7591 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk77 View Post
 

I like the lighter HE-6 cable as I don't even notice it. The HE-500 are being used balanced right now.

 

LOL ! Es tu Nik ? I was beginning to miss this post.

:beerchug:

post #7592 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

 

LOL ! Es tu Nik ? I was beginning to miss this post.

:beerchug:

 

I had to round it up to 5 posts.

post #7593 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post
 

Project Ember has been mentioned many times on this thread, but very few impressions were given about it. 
Anyone using Ember + HE500? Others have said it's quite a bit better than the Sunrise 2.

 

I've had the Ember paired up with the HE-500 for a bit over a month now (purchased on a whim after reading some impressions on reddit) and I can say I'm pretty happy with the results. I use the lowest output impedance setting, low gain, by passed capacitors and for the HE-500 I generally like to use the Telefunken 12AU7 (I don't have many tubes and this one seems to be the best fit so far). Compared to my stock Lyr (with JJ tubes) this configuration of the Ember sounds a bit more open/wide (not dramatic but noticeable) and the mids are a bit more full sounding. This is not a very fair comparison though since most people would agree that the stock JJ tubes are rubbish, and I don't any pairs to roll with the Lyr (buying NOS matched pairs just gets ridiculously expensive) so take my words with a grain of salt.

 

 

 

On a side note, an issue I'm having at the moment with the Ember is noise interference/scratchy sound (worse with certain tubes like the Amperex 12AU7's) which I think is related to my crappy USB wireless adapter (noise is really only noticeable when I'm using the internet). This was also noticeable when using the Lyr (though I feel like it wasn't as bad) and none of SS amps (D100 MkII and HA-160) have the same issue, so I'm guessing it's something to do with the tubes themselves.

post #7594 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjapirate9901 View Post
 

 

I've had the Ember paired up with the HE-500 for a bit over a month now (purchased on a whim after reading some impressions on reddit) and I can say I'm pretty happy with the results. I use the lowest output impedance setting, low gain, by passed capacitors and for the HE-500 I generally like to use the Telefunken 12AU7 (I don't have many tubes and this one seems to be the best fit so far). Compared to my stock Lyr (with JJ tubes) this configuration of the Ember sounds a bit more open/wide (not dramatic but noticeable) and the mids are a bit more full sounding. This is not a very fair comparison though since most people would agree that the stock JJ tubes are rubbish, and I don't any pairs to roll with the Lyr (buying NOS matched pairs just gets ridiculously expensive) so take my words with a grain of salt.

 

 

 

On a side note, an issue I'm having at the moment with the Ember is noise interference/scratchy sound (worse with certain tubes like the Amperex 12AU7's) which I think is related to my crappy USB wireless adapter (noise is really only noticeable when I'm using the internet). This was also noticeable when using the Lyr (though I feel like it wasn't as bad) and none of SS amps (D100 MkII and HA-160) have the same issue, so I'm guessing it's something to do with the tubes themselves.

 

try reflector 6n23p on the lyr, they're cheap and quite good. bassy too

post #7595 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

try reflector 6n23p on the lyr, they're cheap and quite good. bassy too

 

I would try them if I wasn't about to sell the Lyr, thanks for the suggestion though. Maybe I'll try them out on my Ember.

post #7596 of 18030
Nice to finally get an ember impression
post #7597 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumelman8 View Post

Fair enough. Have you heard the setup I was thinking of? The compass 2 9018 and the he500? I've heard the the compass' sound changes dramatically through burn in and it does not sound good during the burn in period.

 

I had the two box version of the compass 2, well actually slightly better than two boxes version. The nfb 1.32 and the C2.2 (the amp). No longer had the 1.32 but I still have the c2.2 in storage at a different house. Burn-in is controversial, with audio-gd gear I do think there are changes - but it's nowhere near "dramatic". The sound just become a bit smoother/more refined is all. Not like it's crap out of the box.

 

They sounds ok to me, I like the dac more than the amp. Plenty of power but nothing spectacular. As DanPluck said, the main strength of the audio-gd combo unit is the versatility. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjapirate9901 View Post
 

 

I would try them if I wasn't about to sell the Lyr, thanks for the suggestion though. Maybe I'll try them out on my Ember.

Try some Amperex 12Au7 and RCA 12au7. They're my fav 12au7 tubes. RCA 5814 and 12AU7 are very good - and cheap


Edited by khaine1711 - 9/8/13 at 12:11pm
post #7598 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post
 

 

I had the two box version of the compass 2, well actually slightly better than two boxes version. The nfb 1.32 and the C2.2 (the amp). No longer had the 1.32 but I still have the c2.2 in storage at a different house. Burn-in is controversial, with audio-gd gear I do think there are changes - but it's nowhere near "dramatic". The sound just become a bit smoother/more refined is all. Not like it's crap out of the box.

 

They sounds ok to me, I like the dac more than the amp. Plenty of power but nothing spectacular. As DanPluck said, the main strength of the audio-gd combo unit is the versatility. 

 

Try some Amperex 12Au7 and RCA 12au7. They're my fav 12au7 tubes. RCA 5814 and 12AU7 are very good - and cheap

 

For an audio newbie do you think that this is a good setup for me? I have only $500 max to spend on an amp and DAC, and tube amps seem kinda scary to me (any help explaining what different tubes do and how they sound compared to solid state amps would be helpful) Are there any other suggestions that you think I would like? Bearing in mind I have a macbook pro and not a PC just in case that helps.

post #7599 of 18030

Given the choice, who'd have the Lyr and who'd have the Ember assuming price, looks, etc. weren't a factor?

post #7600 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumelman8 View Post
 

 

For an audio newbie do you think that this is a good setup for me? I have only $500 max to spend on an amp and DAC, and tube amps seem kinda scary to me (any help explaining what different tubes do and how they sound compared to solid state amps would be helpful) Are there any other suggestions that you think I would like? Bearing in mind I have a macbook pro and not a PC just in case that helps.

I hear the Schiit Modi+Magni is a nice combo that is compact and fits your budget. Get the PYST cables too. Matches perfect with Mac too.

 

The Schiit Modi + Yulong A100 is a little more expensive, but a much better amp.

 

The ODAC + Schiit Asgard 2 is another excellent pick.

 

The HA NG94 mkII is an all-in-one solution that is under $200

That should be plenty of good choices to choose from. Have fun! :beerchug:

post #7601 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumelman8 View Post
 

 

For an audio newbie do you think that this is a good setup for me? I have only $500 max to spend on an amp and DAC, and tube amps seem kinda scary to me (any help explaining what different tubes do and how they sound compared to solid state amps would be helpful) Are there any other suggestions that you think I would like? Bearing in mind I have a macbook pro and not a PC just in case that helps.

 

Uhhh hard question. Tubes and solid state have no "sound".  The circuit/implementations will determine the sonic qualities. Good tube amps are much more expensive to build than good solid state amps though. 

 

For 500 the Compass is not bad, it's actually closed to 600 though (~50 ship and the rest on handling fee/additional upgrade). The iCan + iDac is another option, or you could go with the lesser Nfb 11.32 and save some cash. Since DanPluck has one (and the He500 to boot), maybe ask him for an audition before committing to buy?

post #7602 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

I hear the Schiit Modi+Magni is a nice combo that is compact and fits your budget. Get the PYST cables too. Matches perfect with Mac too.

The Schiit Modi + Yulong A100 is a little more expensive, but a much better amp.

The ODAC + Schiit Asgard 2 is another excellent pick.

The HA NG94 mkII is an all-in-one solution that is under $200
That should be plenty of good choices to choose from. Have fun! beerchug.gif

What about the modi and Asgard 2 or Valhalla?
post #7603 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumelman8 View Post


What about the modi and Asgard 2 or Valhalla?

I linked them, what about them? :confused:

post #7604 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

I linked them, what about them? confused.gif
Would the Asgard 2 or Valhalla also be good with the modi? Which one would you say is better for the hifiman he 500?
post #7605 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumelman8 View Post


Would the Asgard 2 or Valhalla also be good with the modi? Which one would you say is better for the hifiman he 500?

 

Without a doubt the Asgard 2 will be better with the HE-500, not to mention if you go the Valhalla route, you'll surely dump more $$$ into tubes when you would be happier with MOSFETs instead IMO. The Modi will do just fine with them :)

 

That capacitor on Modi is dying to be upgraded too :)

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85


Edited by brunk - 9/8/13 at 3:38pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .