or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 49

post #721 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling View Post





I agree.  The LCD-2 vocals (rev 1,2) are a bit too laid back in the mix.  The HE-500 has a better presentation for vocals, and the better overall balance helps preserve what to me seems like a better backdrop to the vocals. 

 

 



I'm not sure how anyone could find the LCD-2's vocals laid back (especially rev2), but to each their own. The HE500's vocals are nice and syrupy (sorry) though.

post #722 of 18030

Well, all these comments are very helpful and......also confusing!  I know it's all subjective but some people are saying the LCD2s are more forward, some that they are more laid back, some that they are better for vocals, etc etc

 

Maybe the difference is quite small, and that's why there are different opinions? I should be able to listen to the HE-500 and LCD2 soon - I hope that whichever I end up buying I will be really happy with, and a big upgrade to the Sennheiser HD 600 I have.

post #723 of 18030

I remember a few pages back that most ppl agree on the fact that the LCDs and HE-500 are more similar than they are different. The differences are probably not that big. Noticeable but not major. Its probably the same for LCD r1 and r2s. Of course i haven actually a/b compared them myself and this is just based on what i read a few pages back.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zafonic View Post

Well, all these comments are very helpful and......also confusing!  I know it's all subjective but some people are saying the LCD2s are more forward, some that they are more laid back, some that they are better for vocals, etc etc

 

Maybe the difference is quite small, and that's why there are different opinions? I should be able to listen to the HE-500 and LCD2 soon - I hope that whichever I end up buying I will be really happy with, and a big upgrade to the Sennheiser HD 600 I have.



 

post #724 of 18030

Maybe you are discussing amplification rather than headphones, her :)

post #725 of 18030

The LCD2 and HE500 are really quite similar in my opinion.  I don't know but my hearing memory is so short that anything but BTB listening sessions with the same song will not pinpoint any differences between these two.  I really don't listen to music to analyst it in any detail.  If the headphones make me tap me feet, then that's good to go.  The LCD2 made my neck ache after 2 hours.  Granted I am sure I would have adjusted, but I only had them for one evening to test out.  and during that time, it did not really make me want to pick up the phone and order them.  I really liked the T1 when compared to the HD800, really liked them.  But since they were several hundreds dollars more than the HE500, that sealed the deal.  Sorry, I just buy the best headphones that appeal to me, and don't really try to own them all.  My last pair were AKG K240DF over 17 years old, so I really am not into the latest and greatest.

 

One thing in this forum that is interesting - there seems to be many posters who come here to tell people why they prefer these over the HE500.  If buying purely based on internet heresay I would definitely say the LCDs get more love.  Glad I got to hear both (and more importantly wear both on my noggin because fit and comfort are much more important to me when sound quality is about even) - this is the best piece of advice to give any potential consumer of these high end phones.

post #726 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroeight View Post

One thing in this forum that is interesting - there seems to be many posters who come here to tell people why they prefer these over the HE500.  If buying purely based on internet heresay I would definitely say the LCDs get more love.  Glad I got to hear both (and more importantly wear both on my noggin because fit and comfort are much more important to me when sound quality is about even) - this is the best piece of advice to give any potential consumer of these high end phones.


You are not the 1st (or the last to mention the comfort issue). I don't own the LCD's but I can say that visually they are more appealing to me, something about wood I suppose. What I can reiterate about the HE-500's is that they really are the most comfortable phones I own.

 

If I were in the market for either of these phones again I would take on board zeroeight's good advice. When there isn't much in it in terms of SQ then think about the comfort, great advice beerchug.gif
 

 

post #727 of 18030


Aren't the LCD2 and the HE500 appr. the same weight??

 

HE-500 acc. to HeadDirect is 502 g (but in a headphonia-review it says that HE500 is lighter than HE6, which is also specified to 502 g..) LCD-2  acc. to audeeze is 550 g without cable. 

 

Anybody care to weigh their LCD-2 and/or HE-500??

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroeight View Post

....LCD2 made my neck ache after 2 hours.  .......


 


Edited by ardilla - 8/28/11 at 9:46am
post #728 of 18030
The LCDs get a lot of love because they are made in the US and pushed haaaaaaaard by Head Fi. This isn't to knock them but made in China (warranty, repair, quality) scares many away.Their loss. I've had nothing but good results with HiFiMan. I blew a driver of my own mistake and they replaced them with a new pair. The HE IMO do best on a speaker amp while the LCDs can use many headphone amps.
post #729 of 18030

The HE-500 and the LCD-2s (rev. 2) are quite different in my ears. So different that it is quite OK to have them both. I use the HE-500 and LCD-2 approx. 40/60% of the time. 

 

The LCD-2 presents sharper contours of each tone. The HE-500 smoothen the tones out a bit. The HE-500 would be perceived by the average headphone user to be more "bright" than the LCD-2 due to how the HE-500's convey the upper frequencies. Vocals? The singer is closer with HE-500. The LCD-2 presents decay better. And so it goes on and on... 

 

None of them give me discomfort issues. Having said that, the HE-500 design makes the weight easier to the head since the clamp force is << than the LCD-2.


Edited by Loevhagen - 8/28/11 at 12:23pm
post #730 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

The LCDs get a lot of love because they are made in the US and pushed haaaaaaaard by Head Fi. This isn't to knock them but made in China (warranty, repair, quality) scares many away.Their loss. I've had nothing but good results with HiFiMan. I blew a driver of my own mistake and they replaced them with a new pair. The HE IMO do best on a speaker amp while the LCDs can use many headphone amps.
 


True. That and being truly awesome sounding ;).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

The HE-500 and the LCD-2s (rev. 2) are quite different in my ears. So different that it is quite OK to have them both. I use the HE-500 and LCD-2 approx. 40/60% of the time. 

 

The LCD-2 presents sharper contours of each tone. The HE-500 smoothen the tones out a bit. The HE-500 would be perceived by the average headphone user to be more "bright" than the LCD-2 due to HE-500's abilities in the upper frequencies. Vocals? The singer is closer with HE-500. The LCD-2 presents decay better. And so it goes on and on... 

 

None of them give me discomfort issues. Havign said that, the HE-500 design makes the weight easier to the head since the clamp force is << than the LCD-2.



Voices even more in your head on the HE-500? Also compared to R1 LCD-2?

 

post #731 of 18030

The vocals are a tad more distant (not meant negative) with the LCD-2 than on the HE-500 on these 3 different recordings. The venue is perceived a tad larger on the LCD-2 than the HE-500.

 

Jeninfer Warnes - (Famous Blue Raincoat) - Joan of Arc

Kirk Franklin - Revolution

Jack Johnson - On & On - Fall Line

 

Haven't heard my R1 for some time, so I won't comment on those from pure memory.

 

Edit: Anyone using the HE-500 with modified pads / HiFiMANs aftermarket pads? I'm a bit curious how a larger distance between the eardrum and the driver will sound like on the HE-500...

 


Edited by Loevhagen - 8/28/11 at 12:53pm
post #732 of 18030

I love both the LCD-2 and HE500, both kill all the dynamics for me. If you're confused as to which to go for, IMO grab the HE500 for slower music and the rev2 for faster music. And if you happen to listen to piano the most, HE500 is king. 

post #733 of 18030
Thread Starter 

So both phones kill the dynamics for you? Why do you use them then or do most headphones, for you, do this? Or, have I misunderstood you?

post #734 of 18030

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroeight View Post

The LCD2 and HE500 are really quite similar in my opinion.  I don't know but my hearing memory is so short that anything but BTB listening sessions with the same song will not pinpoint any differences between these two.  I really don't listen to music to analyst it in any detail.  If the headphones make me tap me feet, then that's good to go.  The LCD2 made my neck ache after 2 hours.  Granted I am sure I would have adjusted, but I only had them for one evening to test out.  and during that time, it did not really make me want to pick up the phone and order them.  I really liked the T1 when compared to the HD800, really liked them.  But since they were several hundreds dollars more than the HE500, that sealed the deal.  Sorry, I just buy the best headphones that appeal to me, and don't really try to own them all.  My last pair were AKG K240DF over 17 years old, so I really am not into the latest and greatest.

 

One thing in this forum that is interesting - there seems to be many posters who come here to tell people why they prefer these over the HE500.  If buying purely based on internet heresay I would definitely say the LCDs get more love.  Glad I got to hear both (and more importantly wear both on my noggin because fit and comfort are much more important to me when sound quality is about even) - this is the best piece of advice to give any potential consumer of these high end phones.


Good post.  Agreed that they're both similar in that they're both reference quality; both not deviating too far from neutral sound.

post #735 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post

So both phones kill the dynamics for you? Why do you use them then or do most headphones, for you, do this? Or, have I misunderstood you?



I mean the LCD2 r1, r2, HE500, and HE-6 best every dynamic headphone I've heard.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .