Got the LCD 2.2 bug in my head too, please tell me to keep my HE500 haha.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's? Last post on 10/20/13 at 6:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Just some background stuff before the review...this is the second source i have owned dedicated to music (i.e not listening to music off my iphone) so i don't have much experience with high end...
I recently got the AK 100 II after dabbling with a phone based stack. Alternate setup: Samsung Galaxy S5 FIIO E18 + PowerAmp Pro (Cost: 2.99€) + iSyncr (Cost: 3.99€) + Stream to...
After an extensive search online for a replacement for my very good Schiit Bifrost, I settled on the Dacmini, in part from comments here on Head-Fi, and the fact that Stereophile has had it as a...
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 463
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6932 of 141988/6/13 at 9:59pmpost #6933 of 141988/6/13 at 10:05pm
i found similar things with HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3.
i finally sold my LCD-2 now that i have LCD-3 since the LCD-3 is a much better headphone. though i do really like the LCD-2 bass presentation, its a little more neutral and tight with a more forward sound, it has more slam and mid-bass punch and impact.post #6934 of 141988/6/13 at 10:09pmpost #6935 of 141988/6/13 at 10:21pmQuote:
Okay this makes it kind of tough. Depending on your genres within electronic, HE-500 can beat LCD-2 for some. Some trance and DNB is really, really good on HE-500. Although for majority of it, I think LCD-2. Again, it took me 2 months to really start liking the LCD-2, whereas it was instant with HE-500. But then again I am a weirdo, so just ignore me.
Now with rock and stuff like Johnny Cash, it's a bit tricky. HE-500 will give you more width and air. Although LCD-2 will give you a more 3-D. Also, the vocals are better and more natural on the LCD-2. It took me awhile to get to that realization. I've found the vocals to be better for pretty much all genres. Also, live bass instruments come off better on the LCD-2 and especially LCD-3. They have the right bump and bloom with better tonality.
Throw me some tracks.post #6936 of 141988/6/13 at 10:24pm
Also, when coming off from HE-500 to LCD-2, you'll notice a difference in treble. However, when you get used to it, you'll notice that the detail retrieval is actually right up there, just not elevated. Although the air aspect still goes to HE-500.post #6937 of 141988/6/13 at 10:26pmpost #6938 of 141988/6/13 at 10:33pmpost #6939 of 141988/6/13 at 10:56pmQuote:Originally Posted by Avi
Obviously, less than an hour into the cans, some serious burn-in needs to happen. However, one thing I am noticing, is that unlike my DT990s, or even AH-D7000, I am beginning to hear a difference between MP3 V2 and FLAC, where I haven;t really been able to hear before. I am not ABXing, merely letting my playlist run through, but it has been about 10 songs now, and I've been able to tell if it is MP3 less than VBR V2 (like CBR128) or not (FLAC, CBR320, etc.). Interesting.....I should really try again with the Denon's but I'm too lazy/enjoying the music.
With only a few hours in, I prefer the velour to the pleather at this point. I did have to bend the headband to have it lay flat on my head, but even so, the pleather sounded "muffled" in the mid zone. Now that may be b/c the cans need to open up with burn in, but the velour sounds crisper now without any noticeable sacrifice in the bass (using Porcupine Tree "Russia on Ice" as an ad hoc comparison).post #6940 of 141988/6/13 at 10:58pmQuote:
Yup. Have had the LCD-3 for nearly 2 months now. LCD-2 for about 5 months when I sold them alongside with HE-500 at the same time, which I had for a year. Just to give you a timeline. Also, see my signature.
Now LCD-3 vs HE-500. Hmmm okay.
Engaging - Let's start with LCD-2 actually. For some LCD-2 has good mids and bass coherency, but it starts falling at upper mids/treble. Take your pick. I personally got used to it over months and loved it. It was the least fatiguing and yet exciting combo I had.
HE-500 is more balanced, although still has some faults across the FR. For example, the bass is loose compared to Audeze. LCD-3 is the most coherent across the board and more engaging. It flows from one end to the other. You tend to lose sight of that horrid "bass, mids and treble" approach.
Checklist of things LCD-3 does better over HE-500:
- Vocals all around, no exceptions!
- Bass extension
- Bass quantity/control
- Sub bass rumble, quantity and extension (very similar to my D2000 surprisingly)
- More 3D
- All around better FR coherency
- Comfort (softer and larger ear pads)
- Depth (soundstage)
- Detachable cable
- Stock cable is far superior on the LCD-2/3
- Smoother(est) FR
Checklist of things HE-500 does better over LCD-3:
- somewhat speaker like presentation
- Airy sound
- Treble extension
- Instrument separation (amp dependent, although LCD-3 is quite good)
Overall recommendation: LCD-3. Highly recommended.
Disclaimer: Also, I try to keep the price out of the equation as much possible, within reasonable limits of course. I value my stuff like D2000 and SE215 quite highly despite their low prices and sometimes prefer them over the planars. Also, I don't buy the whole cost to performance to enjoyment ratio. LCD-3 costs double that of LCD-2. Does the LCD-3 offer "double" the performance of LCD-2? Umm for different people on different setups this will differ and that is fine. I usually hear 20% better on LCD-3's performance. My problem is when performance, say of 20% is equated to a 20% increase in happiness. It's full on bullship IMO. For me with some genres, that extra 20% or whatever the difference is, equates to a FAR more than 20% increase in happiness.
Imagine being an olympic runner of a 100 meter sprint. You're currently the second fastest man in the world. The top sprinter has a time of 9.59 and you are currently at 9.64. You train and train for four years and finally are able to beat that man and also get a record of 9.55. Not a big difference in raw values and performance, but the joy you get when you're able to extend your performance a little bit and get the last bit out of it that you dearly wanted. That's priceless.
That's my HONEST opinion. I seriously hope that analogy made some damn sense. Writing this crap as I go along at 2 am here in Canada.
Umm...did you say 5 sentences?post #6941 of 141988/6/13 at 11:01pmQuote:
Oh definitely the LCD-3. For both rock and electronic music together, I can easily recommend the LCD-3 over HE-500 and LCD-2. With LCD-3, you'll get a very high satisfaction for both genres.post #6942 of 141988/6/13 at 11:02pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl
i found similar things with HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3.
i finally sold my LCD-2 now that i have LCD-3 since the LCD-3 is a much better headphone. though i do really like the LCD-2 bass presentation, its a little more neutral and tight with a more forward sound, it has more slam and mid-bass punch and impact.
Yup.post #6943 of 141988/6/13 at 11:08pm
lol Zoom25, that was 5^2 at least. Thx for the short write up. I will definitely search out some LCD3 at the meet this Saturday. I have a really bad habit. When i know for sure I like something, it tends to show ups at the office a few days after Next stop for me will be either HD800 or LCD3. I got my DAC already taken care of.post #6944 of 141988/6/13 at 11:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by koiloco
lol Zoom25, that was 5^2 at least. Thx for the short write up. I will definitely search out some LCD3 at the meet this Saturday. I have a really bad habit. When i know for sure I like something, it tends to show ups at the office a few days after Next stop for me will be either HD800 or LCD3. I got my DAC already taken care of.
LOL I have that same tendency. As I mention to others, remember to give it some time, especially those coming off HE-500 which is more energetic in treble.post #6945 of 141988/6/13 at 11:16pmQuote:
Ultimately these things are why I sold off my LCD-2 way back when, and have never found the LCD-3 an appealing choice. I always have found hifimans to excel in these things
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread. 43 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 57 seconds ago
- › Stax SR-Omega: offering service for repair or rebalance drivers 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Bose Sues Beats for Patent Infringement 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 1 minute ago
- › Westone W60 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by fluffyberry
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › CEntrance DACmini CX by joespride
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)