or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 441

post #6601 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedTea View Post

Hey David, 

 

how do the HE-500 sound in comparison to Stax? I haven't had a chance to hear a stax set up before.


i think it all depends on the stax model.....IMHO i think if u really want to make a BIG step up in stax territory from the he500 u have to think about a sr007...combined with at least one of their middle class amps..but the prices of those two combined is outrageous!...at least 5000usd NEW if i am not mistaken....


Edited by hifimanrookie - 7/26/13 at 3:34pm
post #6602 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

So I need a nice balanced cable for when my Taboo arrives, and I think it's going to be the Noir from Forza AudioWorks.  It doesn't seem to be so well known around here, but seems like a nice looking cable and much cheaper than the ones from other boutique cable makers.

I use that exact cable and its great.
post #6603 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


i think it all depends on the stax model.....IMHO i think if u really want to make a BIG step up in stax territory from the he500 u have to think about a sr007...combined with at least one of their middle class amps..but the prices of those two combined is outrageous!...at least 5000usd NEW if i am not mistaken....

007mk2 + 727A (the amp) retails for only  ~$3.3k. Or better still 007mk1 + KGSS (~3.5k used). One can even play budget and get a cheap amp first (323S/T1 ..etc) then upgrade later. Need a good source tho since they're very revealing of upstream stuff.

 

Staxes aren't expensive as people think/want to believe =p.

post #6604 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

So I need a nice balanced cable for when my Taboo arrives, and I think it's going to be the Noir from Forza AudioWorks.  It doesn't seem to be so well known around here, but seems like a nice looking cable and much cheaper than the ones from other boutique cable makers.

Looks like a nice cable, I got the "Q" French silk for the very light ergonomics it gives me and I can use the same cable with my HD800, HE500, and (if I get them) LCD's.

post #6605 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

So I need a nice balanced cable for when my Taboo arrives, and I think it's going to be the Noir from Forza AudioWorks.  It doesn't seem to be so well known around here, but seems like a nice looking cable and much cheaper than the ones from other boutique cable makers.

Looks like a nice cable, I got the "Q" French silk for the very light ergonomics it gives me and I can use the same cable with my HD800, HE500, and (if I get them) LCD's.

How is this?

post #6606 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

How is this?

'Q' French silk comes with the Audeze connectors and they sell adapters for other phones.  Used this feature to try out a variety of phones on one set of cables at the Minneapolis meet last weekend, worked pretty well, also have a 1/4" and dual 3 pin XLR adaptor for my normally single 4 pin XLR cable.

 


Edited by bearFNF - 7/26/13 at 4:52pm
post #6607 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

How is this?

'Q' French silk comes with the Audeze connectors and they sell adapters for other phones.  Used this feature to try out a variety of phones on one set of cables at the Minneapolis meet last weekend, worked pretty well, also have a 1/4" and dual 3 pin XLR adaptor for my normally single 4 pin XLR cable.

 

Ah, very cool!

post #6608 of 18011
I have had some excellent cables from double helix very well priced
post #6609 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna47 View Post

I have had some excellent cables from double helix very well priced

 

+1

post #6610 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

007mk2 + 727A (the amp) retails for only  ~$3.3k. Or better still 007mk1 + KGSS (~3.5k used). One can even play budget and get a cheap amp first (323S/T1 ..etc) then upgrade later. Need a good source tho since they're very revealing of upstream stuff.

 

Staxes aren't expensive as people think/want to believe =p.


damn thats cheap!wink.gif just kidding...damn..still..their prices are steep!! my total rig is only around 1100usd total... cant imagine that the sr007 can be triple the soundquality then mine..or a he500 with any premium headphone amp ( and for the speakerguys..any good speakeramp)....damn..i sound like my lovable emotiva admirors wink.gif

but yeah..i ahve to admit...one day i probably will join the stax team with a sr009


Edited by hifimanrookie - 7/26/13 at 5:36pm
post #6611 of 18011

listening my he-500, i have found the following problen.

when i listened the he-500 with the hifiman occ balanced cable, without music i don´t hear any noise from my amplifier, also with the pot in the end.

now with the hardwired norseaudio, i hear a little noise in the left or right channel depending on the position of the pot.

the cable is microphonic or, now, the impedance is lowest?

for the rest, a fantastic headphone

post #6612 of 18011

Guys, quick question: Does anyone here have experience with Violectric V200 and V100 amps? Are they a good match for HE-500s? How do they compare to the Burson Soloist?

post #6613 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post

listening my he-500, i have found the following problen.

when i listened the he-500 with the hifiman occ balanced cable, without music i don´t hear any noise from my amplifier, also with the pot in the end.

now with the hardwired norseaudio, i hear a little noise in the left or right channel depending on the position of the pot.

the cable is microphonic or, now, the impedance is lowest?

for the rest, a fantastic headphone

If it's switching to the left and right while moving the pot, it sounds like you've gained extra transparency by hard-wiring. I would suspect the volume pot itself. Try cleaning it with a can of compressed air and some de-oxit and see if that helps.

post #6614 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedTea View Post

Hey David, 

 

how do the HE-500 sound in comparison to Stax? I haven't had a chance to hear a stax set up before.

Way more clean, but different models are different. I can tell you this: You do get a more complete package with a headphone as the HE-500. Very versatile and pleasing sound, pretty smooth. The Stax' from the Lambda series seem more specialized in general. 

 

Sooo, here's my list of what either headphone does better when I compare my lambda signature and HE-500.

 

HE-500

  • Smooth
  • A lot of body
  • Euphonic
  • Versatile and forgiving

 

Lambda Sig

  • Better sound stage and more airy presentation
  • Better imaging
  • More resolution (micro details and dynamics)
  • Transparent
  • Way cleaner bass with better defined position in the sound stage
  • Better attack and overall better decay, mostly in the bass and lower mids
  • More defined vocals and instruments eg. more clarity

 

My thoughts toward the 2 'phones are that technically the Stax are superior and in another league. They are more transparent in general. But the 2 headphones are very, very hard to compare.

 

The HE-500 can be dull, boring, and not too defined at worst. Therefore they can lack immersion, but I think a better amp could help bring out more dynamics of the 500's and make it easier for me to immerse myself in the music.

 

The Sigs can sound dry at times and lack body, but they are never tinny or sibilant. They can be slightly etchy, but not all Stax' are like this. They tend to keep me some inches from the music (not sound stage wise more like immersion wise). They are very picky with pretty much everything. In general they tend to display the beauty in beautiful music whereas the 500s display the musicality. Pick your poison... I guess Stax' aren't for everyone.

 

This is all said as a comparison between the 2 'phones so everything said is relative..


Edited by davidsh - 7/27/13 at 5:08am
post #6615 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post

Guys, quick question: Does anyone here have experience with Violectric V200 and V100 amps? Are they a good match for HE-500s? How do they compare to the Burson Soloist?

V200 with HE500, along with a good dac,  is a nice match to my ears. V200 is expensive for not being class A. I would consider seriously the Audio gd SA-31SE.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .