Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 425

post #6361 of 14986

my god i actually did it!! my very first mod!! me..the one with the two left hands..but with utmost determination wink.gifand with little help and advice from Jerg i got to the product u can see on the pics....thanks man!

 

my hands are painful and two fingers are bleeding as the metal i used (on advice of jerg) was razorsharp! eek.gif and it took 2 tries and 3 hours to actually get to what i did now..hope its good enough to be called a jerg grill mod wink.gif..the silvery color looks kind of classy on my he500..dont u think so? didnt had the chance to listen to the phones after mod..as i just finished it and now my keyboard is being bled over..eek.gif

but tonight i will do a little review...a few lines only...as it has been talked about on another thread for months now wink.gif

 

 

 


Edited by hifimanrookie - 7/20/13 at 7:30am
post #6362 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by michbest View Post

Ok I admit tha i'm a little crazy about my setup so i decidet to give it another photo shoot :)

 

 

Nice pic! The EF-5 is an awesome sounding little amp that gets overlooked often, change the OPA and the tube and it will sing.

post #6363 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

 

 

 

 

 

Looks good. The only thing you may want to do is add a material behind the grill to protect the driver from dust and pet hair(I think you said you had a cat). A pair of pantyhose stretched behind the grill and then trim it around the mounting ring does the trick with no sound change what-so-ever. I left mine open as well at first and had significant dust on my driver after about two months (own a dog and a cat). 

post #6364 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post

Looks good. The only thing you may want to do is add a material behind the grill to protect the driver from dust and pet hair(I think you said you had a cat). A pair of pantyhose stretched behind the grill and then trim it around the mounting ring does the trick with no sound change what-so-ever. I left mine open as well at first and had significant dust on my driver after about two months (own a dog and a cat). 

Like I mentioned in the other thread, it's up to the owner's discretion whether or not to add dust protection with the regrilling mod based on their circumstances. I don't have any pets, and I've always had fully open grills on my HE400 (owned for 9 months now) and HE500 (7 months) which are always kept out in the open when not in use; neither has any real dust accumulating on the drivers. 

post #6365 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post

Looks good. The only thing you may want to do is add a material behind the grill to protect the driver from dust and pet hair(I think you said you had a cat). A pair of pantyhose stretched behind the grill and then trim it around the mounting ring does the trick with no sound change what-so-ever. I left mine open as well at first and had significant dust on my driver after about two months (own a dog and a cat). 


yep i do have a cat....u have a good memory wink.gif but since 1 month he is living at my folks in law...he kept on destroying my furniture with his nails....with them he has a huge garden closed garden to play in..he knows that house very well as when we went on holiday he stayed there many times already..and my daughter of 10 is allergic for cat hair we recently found out!. so no cat hairs in my home now..

but ru sure using a cloth over the grille doesnt affect the sound? as if i am not mistaken somebody stated it did...i think it was jerg who said that...well..thanks for ur advice anyway..i apreciate it!!!..i will try it first without the dust protection..and check it weekly..if it does get dusty then i will buy some black nylons/panyhose to use on my grille.. beerchug.gif

post #6366 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


 

but ru sure using a cloth over the grille doesnt affect the sound?

I bought some better ones (on the advice of the pantyhose expert.....my wife) and stretched them very tight across as so they are paper thin. I hear the same sound with and with out, but really can't A/B because of the time it takes to do the mod. If pick up some that do not run you can stretch them so tight across that they are very open but still provide a thin layer of dust protection. I live in an absurdly clean house(wife and I are both work so we have a cleaning company) and still had a ton of dust build up on my drivers, it did nothing to effect the sound, but it can't be good.

post #6367 of 14986

In terms of fabric choice if dust protection IS necessary, AFAIK a fine tulle netting is the least obstructive material that still has a tight weave.

post #6368 of 14986
Hey guys..its me again..first impression after around 30min listening with tubes completely warmed up

1. Most curious: i can listen to the music much louder without having my ears ringing (have sensitive earing) Normally with volume on 10 o'clock my ears almost pop out listening on my rig. Its unbearable then..But now i listened to it on 10 without any problems..and i think because the volume is a bit higher the lower octaves got more powerful..but that can also be in my head! Or that the tubeys are doing their job better on that volume biggrin.gif
2. On mp3 (even 320) coded tracks the sound is same..i even put the orginal grills on top of the new ones..not a change in any soundsignature..and i found that very very strange!!

But when i started to get disapointed about what all that work gave me, a high definition FLAC decoded track started of a live concert.... And i did same thing..old grill on top of new one and then off..and oh my god..the sound changed!!! As if the music got wider!! More natural..i checked it many times now..with different flacs of different artists..but what i found out is this...the better the imaging in thesound and recording and the better the quality of the codec (flac/wav) the bigger the change in sound... its as if ur listening to a orkest playing in another room with the glass door closed in between first but now they opened it completely.

For the rest..well...treble got a bit more clearer, mids ...i cant really explain...its less dark i guess.. Maybe its because of the elevated treble? More natural?? Bass was a bit deeper..more impactful ...but as i said..i can listen to the music louder (does that mean there is less distortion in the music to hurt ur ears?) So the bass got stronger..but thats probably a thingie of my tube amp...more juice to the he500 biggrin.gif

In total its not a day and night difference..but hey..the little differences are the ones sometimes that we overlook and are worth finding to get that perfect endresult.

Did u guys have same experience? Does it have to do with the huge openings in my new grills??
Edited by hifimanrookie - 7/20/13 at 10:15am
post #6369 of 14986
I just paid for a new Audio GD NFB-10SE2. Should get it by early August (ships July 25).

Price seemed pretty good and I’m very curious to see what will happen when i go from feeding it around 250 mW from the Burson 160D to around 6 Watts from the NFB (plus the move to the ESS Sabre DAC). My HE-500, which I got used, were hardwired with some Norse cable and a 4 pin balanced connection.

I know power isn’t everything but I couldn’t help but want to listen to the difference between the mid-powered Burson (which I actually REALLY like with the HE-500) and something providing well over 1W into the orthos.

Anyway, one of those all in one boxes will be going up for sale here when I’m done making my comparisons. Only question is how difficult my choice will be.
post #6370 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Did u guys have same experience? Does it have to do with the huge openings in my new grills??

I think so.  When I removed the cloth of the stock grill, I did try listening without grill at all.  This = 100% open driver, pretty much.  The sound changed significantly without the grill.  Your modded grill is so close to "nothing there".  Have you tried removing the cloth from stock grills yet?  maybe, try that first and see how you like it.  I did.

post #6371 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildstar View Post

I need something to replace the K340s I grew up with, and I don't know whether I should make a pit stop at the HD600s or just jump straight to these.

 

Could you tell me what do you think are the flaws of the HE-500? All I see is praise, but I'm more interested in potential issues.

 

What's scaring me is how GoldenEars' measures them somewhat similar to the Momentums (!!), which I have and am not very pleased with. The dip at 4-5KHz leads to a quite notorious lack of presence and the HE-500 seems to have dip at around the same place...

Maybe because of this dip in FR you mentioned, HE500 doesn't have the same "air" or "presence" as HPs such as Q701 but the HE500 still has great details, clarity in the high. The other thing to remember is that this dip is probably what enables the HE500 to be a good overall HPs for different music genres and contributes to its smooth sound, especially in the mid-high range.  The other potential flaw (not IMO but others often point this out) is that the power required to bring out the best of the HE500.  I personally moved from Fiio E17 to Fiio E9K and now Emotiva Mini-X.  While I agree that there was improvements at each amp upgrade, the HE500 is still very good and enjoyable even with cheap portable amp like the E17.  Also, I have a strong neck but on days that I am tired from exercising, I can feel the HE500's weight a bit (this is when i lay down biggrin.gif )  Like you, I love "air" and "presence" in vocal and string instruments.  That's why I still keep my Q701 for a fix when needed tongue.gif.  I also strongly recommend the HE500 not because I own one but because indeed it's a great pair of HPs for the price.  Overall, very fun with great technicality.

post #6372 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

I think so.  When I removed the cloth of the stock grill, I did try listening without grill at all.  This = 100% open driver, pretty much.  The sound changed significantly without the grill.  Your modded grill is so close to "nothing there".  Have you tried removing the cloth from stock grills yet?  maybe, try that first and see how you like it.  I did.
Removing the cloth was first thing idid a few days ago before i could get my hands on the right grill metal..so the comparing i did was was with the clothless original grills...but i agrre with u..when i took of the dust shield from the original grills the sound got clearer..more trebly...to my ears the sound opened up a bit..the treble went a few octaves upwarts..but for the rest i couldnt hear much of a difference...but now with this open grill.. It really helps soundstage..but only on high quality flacs and wavs..somehow with mp3 coded tracks it didnt do much..

But thing i still dont understand...why can i listen to higher volumes now then before???? Anyone has an explanation?

Is it maybe because my amp is now in its sweetspot?being 10:00-11:00? And therefore now pumps out less harmonic distortion or something? As i normally i can only listen to max 10:00 and that only for short while before my ears hurt..normally 21:00 is max when listening for longer sessions.

Point is..this mod really changes the sound on high quality coded material. Cant wait to get the jerg modded pads in my hands biggrin.gif
post #6373 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Removing the cloth was first thing idid a few days ago before i could get my hands on the right grill metal..so the comparing i did was was with the clothless original grills...but i agrre with u..when i took of the dust shield from the original grills the sound got clearer..more trebly...to my ears the sound opened up a bit..the treble went a few octaves upwarts..but for the rest i couldnt hear much of a difference...but now with this open grill.. It really helps soundstage..but only on high quality flacs and wavs..somehow with mp3 coded tracks it didnt do much..

But thing i still dont understand...why can i listen to higher volumes now then before???? Anyone has an explanation?

Is it maybe because my amp is now in its sweetspot?being 10:00-11:00? And therefore now pumps out less harmonic distortion or something? As i normally i can only listen to max 10:00 and that only for short while before my ears hurt..normally 21:00 is max when listening for longer sessions.

Point is..this mod really changes the sound on high quality coded material. Cant wait to get the jerg modded pads in my hands biggrin.gif

IMO,physically, your new grill results in less "back pressure" to your ears.  This allows you to up the volume a notch.  This will also result in slightly different sound signature over all.  You might have hit that balanced spot.

post #6374 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

IMO,physically, your new grill results in less "back pressure" to your ears.  This allows you to up the volume a notch.  This will also result in slightly different sound signature over all.  You might have hit that balanced spot.
Thanks for ur explanation..i think ur right..it sounds reasonble and because of that less pressure i can higher the volume and maybe therefor let my amp get into his sweet spot around 10ish...as i have high gain 5998 tubes in it....i love my amp andmy even more wonderful he500 even more now..oops.. biggrin.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 7/20/13 at 12:19pm
post #6375 of 14986

I have had my HE500 for a few weeks now and have been extremely happy with them.  They are a clear step above the HE400’s which I came from. 

 

The stock HE500 cable drove me mad and I simply couldn’t live with it.  I just got a Forza Audio Works Noir cable for my HE500’s and could not be happier.  The build quality and finish is second to none, you really do get the whole package from Forza, the branding and packaging screams of a premium product.  It arrived a mere 2 weeks after placing my order.  Matthew at Forza Audio Works is a joy to deal with and I would not hesitate to order from him in the future.

 

 

 

Please excuse the crappy picture.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .