or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 420

post #6286 of 18025

Scratch notes of the first impressions:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624517/audio-gd-nfb-11-32-delivery-impression-thread/750#post_9622377

post #6287 of 18025
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Scratch notes of the first impressions:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624517/audio-gd-nfb-11-32-delivery-impression-thread/750#post_9622377

Some hefty impressions you got there!

post #6288 of 18025
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Some hefty impressions you got there!

It might seem trite that "every aspect improves", but that's pretty much the case, and mostly due to the combination of the improved DAC and higher powered amping. It's a fairly integrative improvement.

post #6289 of 18025
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Some hefty impressions you got there!

It might seem trite that "every aspect improves", but that's pretty much the case, and mostly due to the combination of the improved DAC and higher powered amping. It's a fairly integrative improvement.

I kinda know that, was very impressed with my amp in the beginning. 

post #6290 of 18025
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post



When it comes to frequency response, the HE-500 hits my personal sweet spot. The slight treble spike on the HD800 can be a problem for me on some songs (or requires a smooth amp or mods or EQ to tame). the darker LCD2 (or 3) can seem to lack excitement on other songs. For my taste, the HE-500 threads the needle and hits a nice balance between the two. I’ve had other headphones with similar FR, but not with this quality bass and this precise imaging.

Great headphone.

This is exactly my thinking too. I've commented that I have the much higher priced flagships but I keep returning to the HE500s and just can't stop listening. Like you said, there is a perfect balance with them,

along with some sort of extremely satisfying resonant bass that can go to subterranean depths without boom or loss of control, and the highs are very present but don't hurt.

There is something going on with the HE500s that is inexplicably right for me, like it was tuned by someone with a very fine ear, and not "engineered" to meet some precise specifications.

There is something great about the HE500s that I don't think can be measured by conventional means.

post #6291 of 18025

they still have wooly bass though frown.gif

post #6292 of 18025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

they still have wooly bass though frown.gif

As I commented in the initial impressions, on the audioGD 11.32 to my ears the HE500 bass/subbass sounds about as tight as HE400, which is not wooly at all.

 

It's pumping about 2.5W power into them, my guess is that is what's needed to rein the bass into control on these drivers.


Edited by jerg - 7/16/13 at 6:43pm
post #6293 of 18025
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

As I commented in the initial impressions, on the audioGD 11.32 to my ears the HE500 bass/subbass sounds about as tight as HE400, which is not wooly at all.

 

It's pumping about 2.5W power into them, my guess is that is what's needed to rein the bass into control on these drivers.


i never tested the he500 with anything other than the 11.32 so i don't really know about that... i don't like too tight bass all the time, and 11.32 makes bass a lot tighter than usual on even bass monsters like sony xb 1000... anyhow, i think it is great with the he500 and it is also pretty cheap and "good enough" to remove veils from headphones like hd650...

post #6294 of 18025
HE-500 does have more distortion in the bass
post #6295 of 18025
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

 

L3000.gif

 

I tried that mod Jerg. Pulling-off the fabric cover out from the cup will loosen the bass...

post #6296 of 18025
Quote:
Originally Posted by knights View Post

 

I tried that mod Jerg. Pulling-off the fabric cover out from the cup will loosen the bass...

That's not something I experienced at all. If anything, removing material at the back would allow air to be moved more efficiently by the diaphragms (however minutely) which would be good for the bass.

post #6297 of 18025
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

That's not something I experienced at all. If anything, removing material at the back would allow air to be moved more efficiently by the diaphragms (however minutely) which would be good for the bass.

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe i messed up too much with 500 that day since the mod was done then cable also just came in… ill try to mod mine again...

post #6298 of 18025
Quote:
Originally Posted by knights View Post

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe i messed up too much with 500 that day since the mod was done then cable also just came in… ill try to mod mine again...

All I can say is when I did the listening tests back when I was fooling around with regrilling, the only discernible difference was in the openness / upper treble extremes, I did not detect any significant change to bass or midrange, or low/mid treble for that matter.

post #6299 of 18025
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

All I can say is when I did the listening tests back when I was fooling around with regrilling, the only discernible difference was in the openness / upper treble extremes, I did not detect any significant change to bass or midrange, or low/mid treble for that matter.

 

Generally reducing back pressure in a speaker enclosure will loosen the bass. Think ported vs sealed subwoofer enclosures. But planar magnetic / ribbon speakers are designed to operate with little to no back pressure from an enclosure.

post #6300 of 18025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker81598 View Post

 

Generally reducing back pressure in a speaker enclosure will loosen the bass. Think ported vs sealed subwoofer enclosures. But planar magnetic / ribbon speakers are designed to operate with little to no back pressure from an enclosure.

Yeah I was thinking that when I typed that post. Didn't want to bother going into it.

 

I think some people tried open back LCD2s and it turned out terrible. HFM orthos are already designed to have minimal damping and fully open design, so in that regard the thin grill fabric at the back does nothing more than interference with the sound. These are all damping-related rather than back enclosure-related though.


Edited by jerg - 7/17/13 at 9:07am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .