or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 400

post #5986 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Define cheap. A price range?


No, I mean other cable makers with competitive prices out there?

post #5987 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

1) I notice a better blackground with more clarity and more crisp sound with silver cables. Noticeable but not really anything big.

The question is, do you trust yourself on that? Because I know I wouldn't.

post #5988 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

The question is, do you trust yourself on that? Because I know I wouldn't.

Not really, especially not all the time tongue.gif

 

Sometimes yes, sometimes not. With pretty much all equipment, I go in with a "don't give a ****, no expectation" mentality. Just take it for what it is. Just observe and receive, and not process or look for anything specific that perhaps someone also found it. It's very passive for me most of the time during the first couple of weeks. Expectation bias usually goes down after a month or two for most people.

 

With amps, DAC, and speakers/headphones. I'm usually clear on it after a few months. I'll admit that with cables, it's much more trickier for me in my current rig. If I were to conduct a psychometric curve, I'm pretty sure it would look terrible. However, I haven't bothered with doing blind test or anything else since my justification hasn't been with the sound quality but rather the comfort of light weight and flexible custom cables.

post #5989 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post


No, I mean other cable makers with competitive prices out there?

 

Headphone Lounge is cheap, especially considering the price I've seen for other cable companies. Good silver stuff.

post #5990 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

With amps, DAC, and speakers/headphones. I'm usually clear on it after a few months. I'll admit that with cables, it's much more trickier for me in my current rig. If I were to conduct a psychometric curve, I'm pretty sure it would look terrible. However, I haven't bothered with doing blind test or anything else since my justification hasn't been with the sound quality but rather the comfort of light weight and flexible custom cables.

I have been in the situation where I perceived a difference between 2 cables, and I really don't know what to think about it or how to react.

post #5991 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Headphone Lounge is cheap, especially considering the price I've seen for other cable companies. Good silver stuff.


Can't find any specs.

post #5992 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post


Can't find any specs.

 

http://chrishimselfaudio.blogspot.ca/p/why-silver.html

 

I got a 7N from him, or at least that's what he told me

post #5993 of 18029

I have the same problems with my HE500 that was purchased recently.  I contacted head-direct but was not really satisfied with the answer I received for a set of HPs I just paid $700 for.

Communication was great though.  Pretty much, they offered to switch the silver stock cable for the canare HE400 cable which is a lower quality, half the price but doesn't have the microphonics issue because of the rubber sleeve.  The idea of paying $700 for a set of HPs then having to spend another $60 or $100 - $200 to replace the cable doesn't sound right to me as of now.  I've been sitting very still when listening to the HE500.  It's my daily meditation.  biggrin.gif

I think that for such a great set of HPs, Hifiman should not let the cable issue ruin the overall quality of his products/reputation and customer satisfaction.  Make the products as complete and trouble free as possible.  These are not $50 HPs.

post #5994 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

I have been in the situation where I perceived a difference between 2 cables, and I really don't know what to think about it or how to react.

 

Same. In those cases I try not to think too much about and just listen passively for what it is, otherwise it can get frustrating if you (think) notice something one time and then look for the same thing the next time and then it's not there. It's quite annoying so I've just stopped focusing or be on the lookout for any particular trait like cleaner blackground or more treble with silver etc.

post #5995 of 18029

Unless you specifically ordered 7N you have probably got a 6N cable. Not that it matters.

How thick is the cable, how long, and what was the price?

 

Personally I have chosen not to believe cables make a noticeable difference.


Edited by davidsh - 7/5/13 at 10:24am
post #5996 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Unless you specifically ordered 7N you have probably got a 6N cable. Not that it matters.

How thick is the cable, how long, and what was the price?

 

Personally I have chosen not to believe cables make a noticeable difference.

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 95

 

 

This is the cable I had before I sold it for HE-500. For Hifiman and Audeze, from Headphone Lounge, you can find typically a cable for $150-$200 and get decent length (anywhere from 6-8 feet). I only have balanced 4 pin XLR cables so they cost a bit more.

 

I remember for the Hifiman he said it was 7N. The next time for Audeze I just said give me the same silver cable from last cable. I didn't ask for 6N/7N etc. This time through for Audeze, it was actually much softer. I think they might have upgraded that. It's super soft, very flexible and yet doesn't get tangled. Also lightweight. So it hit all the checkboxes for me. I don't know if people can hear the differences between 6N and 7N lol (at least on my system you won't).

post #5997 of 18029

Here's an email excerpt for the Hifiman a few months back when I contacted him. I ended up picking the silver. I stopped thinking about cables and all them numbers. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

 

 

Quote:
"We can built out of OCC 7N purity copper or silver plated copper for you."
post #5998 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPluck View Post

Maybe, but why should a customer have to buy an aftermarket cable for a $700 headphone just to ensure its usable. ;/
My post was sort of in a humorous way biggrin.gif
And ur right..but there aremuch cheaper cables that are better in microphobics issues... But as u now know..the standard cable is not the best choice..to improve that u have to pay... tongue.gif
Imho to get the best out of ur he500.. Invest in a better aftermarket cable...
post #5999 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

The question is, do you trust yourself on that? Because I know I wouldn't.

personally, i trust in myself when i drink a lotbiggrin.gif

post #6000 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post

personally, i trust in myself when i drink alotabiggrin.gif

FTFYbiggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .