Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 397

post #5941 of 14081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

For other newcomers that appear here from time to time. To help them out: Describe HE-500 in ONE sentence. biggrin.gif

 

Let's hear everyone's take on this.

HOT,HOT,HOT!!!!cool.gif

post #5942 of 14081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

I have a question for you guys.  I love the HE-500 through my Violectric stack.  Since getting it about six months ago I've found it to particularly excel at 70s hard rock (and modern 70s style retro hard rock).  There's something about those heavy guitar and bass tones that the Hifiman does fantastically well.  Not sure if anyone here listens to this kind of stuff, but I'm thinking of bands like Asteroid, Mamont, Abramis Brama, November, Graveyard, etc...

 

And now I have a Decware Taboo MKIII coming my way, I was originally planning on getting an LCD-2 or LCD-3 to go with it.  I had finally settled on the LCD-3.  But when my local distributor said he didn't have any, I suddenly had a thought - I can get the Sennheiser HD800 for HALF the price of the LCD-3, and it might be a more interesting complement to the HE-500.  I had never considered the HD800 before, as I was attracted to the warmer tones of the planar headphones.  What would you guys do if you wanted something to complement and contrast with the HE-500?

 

Hmmm, no experience with HD800 unfortunately. Although have enough experience with HE-500 and LCD-2. About 2 weeks with LCD-3. I think you're going to get a more 3D and intimate with the Audeze's in comparison to Hifiman. Better mids on the LCD-3 hands down. Better bass on the LCD-3, although HE-500 are in the same league, just not the same level. If the stuff you listen to has a lot of vocals, than LCD-3 is the way to go hands down.

 

If you have a lot of orchestra stuff, than you might want a bit more treble that HE-500 or HD800 has. I don't listen to any of the artists you mentioned. However, from the 70s I do listen to Pink Floyd. I remember Pink Floyd being top 10 with HE-500 for me. Haven't tried them on yet with LCD-3's. I don't know if that's similar enough or not. If you want I can give it a listen or to some other tracks that you have in mind.

 

Agreed about the guitars and Hifiman.

post #5943 of 14081
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinhimura View Post

if anyone was interested in the update for the GREQ headband, they are great. i had them on for a long session yesterday and today with no discomfort at all. i used to find the he-500 heavy since it didnt distribute the weight even, but after using this i have no problems at all. darthsmile.gif

 

 

 

I'd be interested in knowing how this compares to something like this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Headband-Cushion-Pad-fit-BEYER-HiFiMAN-DENON-SONY-KOSS-BOSE-BEATS-DRE-Headphones-/200799150982?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2ec08fe386&_uhb=1

 

I had this headband when I had the HE-500s. Might consider the HE-500 again in the future, so would like to know if someone has both.

post #5944 of 14081

I wanted to say T1 but if you get HD800 for such a good deal, I would say go for it. HD800 is not as warm as HE500 and of course there are quite a few differences you can appreciate and enjoy alternately. Contrary to most people, HD800 at least on my set up is not what I would call bright but rather neutral with slight tendency to get warm. I may be a heretic to say that. Personally, I found T1 to be of more contrast with HE500. But like I said, an HD800 for half of LCD3 is such a sweet deal.

post #5945 of 14081
Thanks folks! And yeah, the sweet deal on the Sennheiser is a combination of the LCD-3 being much more expensive here than in the US, and the HD800 being one of those mystical rare products that's actually cheaper here (gasp!).
post #5946 of 14081

HD800 are the ones I want the most next. These were the first high end headphones that I wanted years ago. Although I hear amping is tricky. Would ideally like to get something that suits both LCD-3 and HD800, perhaps even the HE-500 or HE-6. I've read good stuff about the Headamp GS-X mkII.

post #5947 of 14081
I have been considering getting the T1 and WA2, weighing it back and forth in my head. I listen to primarily EDM but I would think the HE-500 would be better suited for this than the T1. I tend to prefer a slightly warmer than neutral sound. I love the HE-500's intimate and layered soundstage, as well as its incredibly smooth presentation. The warm midrange is excellent for vocal trance and the punchy bass also suits most of my music well. I'm afraid that if I drop over $2500 into a headphone and amp "upgrade" that I may actually be taking a step in the wrong direction. Unfortunately, I have no way to audition the T1. HE-500 may just be my endgame.
post #5948 of 14081
Get both the HD800 and LCD2 and you'll have a compliment on each side of the HE500.
post #5949 of 14081
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinhimura View Post

if anyone was interested in the update for the GREQ headband, they are great. i had them on for a long session yesterday and today with no discomfort at all. i used to find the he-500 heavy since it didnt distribute the weight even, but after using this i have no problems at all. darthsmile.gif

 

 

I agree that this is an excellent design, and weight distribution + overall comfort is much improved!  It is a must-have addition to any HE-series headphone unless your headband is already on the largest setting. cool.gif

post #5950 of 14081
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshin23 View Post

Get both the HD800 and LCD2 and you'll have a compliment on each side of the HE500.
Or just get the HE-6.
post #5951 of 14081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

Thanks folks! And yeah, the sweet deal on the Sennheiser is a combination of the LCD-3 being much more expensive here than in the US, and the HD800 being one of those mystical rare products that's actually cheaper here (gasp!).


I am or will be the same situation as you are in ... 4 months.  My choice will also be the HD800.  I will give my Q701 to my son since he said the other day "it looks cooler than the HE500".  Kids these days. rolleyes.gif

post #5952 of 14081
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshin23 View Post

Get both the HD800 and LCD2 and you'll have a compliment on each side of the HE500.


Though I haven't listened to the HD800 yet.  The LCD2 I did have a chance to try out.   Based on my brief exposure to the LCD2,  I would say/guess the HE500 would be on 1 side of the LCD2 and the HD800 on the other.

post #5953 of 14081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post


Or just get the HE-6.

right!biggrin.gif

post #5954 of 14081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Or just get the HE-6.
+1 i agree also...and u keep spare to get a good amp also for the he6 biggrin.gif
post #5955 of 14081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker81598 View Post

I have been considering getting the T1 and WA2, weighing it back and forth in my head. I listen to primarily EDM but I would think the HE-500 would be better suited for this than the T1. I tend to prefer a slightly warmer than neutral sound. I love the HE-500's intimate and layered soundstage, as well as its incredibly smooth presentation. The warm midrange is excellent for vocal trance and the punchy bass also suits most of my music well. I'm afraid that if I drop over $2500 into a headphone and amp "upgrade" that I may actually be taking a step in the wrong direction. Unfortunately, I have no way to audition the T1. HE-500 may just be my endgame.

 

Big EDM listener here. I'll say that you should also give the Audeze's a try as well. For vocal trance, Audeze's over Hifiman anytime. You pretty much described the Audeze sound with that one.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .