- 2,717 Posts. Joined 3/2009
- Location: Washington
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's? Last post on 10/20/13 at 6:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Foreword Chinese/HK headphone manufacturer Astrotec is known for its value-priced products (beginning with their lauded AM90), and they've stuck to their guns by pricing the AX35 (and its near...
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 395post #5911 of 134177/1/13 at 11:14pmLike...uhhh........What happened?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5912 of 134177/1/13 at 11:18pmpost #5913 of 134177/2/13 at 8:00am
So I plugged in my HE-500 directly to the speaker outputs (for the first time) of a vintage harman/kardon PM640 Vxi.
I could only hear two noticeable differences to the usual headphone outs I know and love.
1 - there was a noise floor - so that's the amp. Nothing out of the ordinary so it doesn't really count.
2 - the sub bass was a touch more dominant. It was also less tight and slower. If I listened to a lot more electronic music I might consider making space on my desk for a speaker amp, but even then I much prefer the bass from some of my other dynamic headphones.
If there were any differences to be heard in the midrange or treble, they were not significant enough on this amp to make an accurate judgement.
I may try out my more humble Fisher amp in future (whose headphone out I prefer to the lifeless harman kardon's), but for now it's connected to it's cable-salad under the TV.post #5914 of 134177/2/13 at 8:37amQuote:
While I don't listen to Taylor swift, I did compare the cup size of the HE500 to Taylor Swift's and the HE500 managed to win by a small margin based on roundness and firmness. Does this count?post #5915 of 134177/2/13 at 8:48amQuote:
Interesting comparison. Do you have any visual aids?post #5916 of 134177/2/13 at 9:27am
While I do not have graphs and exact measurements for diameter/density for both to back up my claim, after a $5k lasik operation, my eyes are deadly accurate. It got to be 20/20 or better. Just like headphones and amps, "they" do come in all shapes/sizes. It all comes down to personal preference. I don't believe that bigger is better. That's why I still love my little E09K ... until the big a.. Emotiva comes this Friday.post #5917 of 134177/2/13 at 9:30amQuote:
O2 supplies less than 600mW, more like 300.
When HE-500 peaks, it will mostly not draw anywhere near 1W. That is almost 120dB, you know... At reasonable listening volume, you would not need that headroom. If you listen at an average of 80dB, you would need a recording to have peaks of almost 40dB. You could run into problems if you crank your HE-500 to very high volume or listen to very dynamic recordings, though. But there are some out there who listen at only 60-70 dB, and then the O2 would be more than enough.
Say your not in luck, and get a HE-500 that measures 86dB/mw and has an impedance of some 50 ohms (which could easily happen, anyone remember what Tyll measured his HE-500 to?), then some beefier amping would be good.post #5918 of 134177/2/13 at 9:51ampost #5919 of 134177/2/13 at 10:12ampost #5920 of 134177/2/13 at 11:35ampost #5921 of 134177/2/13 at 12:55pmpost #5922 of 134177/2/13 at 2:04pmpost #5923 of 134177/2/13 at 2:31pmpost #5924 of 134177/2/13 at 2:34pmQuote:
By no means am I bashing the 337, like I have reiterated on multiple occasions I think it is fantastic with the HD 650, I just prefer the Lyr with the HE-500. The Lyr is ultra tube responsive and if you find the right tube it is an amazing little amp for the money. Judge not what you hear at a meet with unknown tubes.
That is what I consider the fantastic thing about this hobby we all share, we all hear different.
And the worst part is, I actually have been on a solid state kick as of late and have found that I may prefer the Audio GD SA-31 with the HE-500 .post #5925 of 134177/2/13 at 2:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by M-13
It's sad to see that when people run out of actual arguments they resort to name calling. I asked Eke if he owns the HE-500 and what amps he's tried them with and in response he called me an idiotic troll. My question was fair and his answer was nonsense and the very definition of trolling.
And I responded by saying that I had more than enough time with them. If I had actually bought them for the week and a half that I had it, then sold it...would my impressions be more valid?
I call you idiotic because you hook up a HEADPHONE to SPEAKER taps, then say it has "increased dynamic range", which is audiophile for "it gets louder". What do you expect?! Then, you say that the bass response is definitely increased due to the extra power, when in fact it could be due to the sound signature of the amp.
It's not the fact that you like the Emotiva. I hate your conceited, condescending attitude, and the fact that you poke fun at others who disagree with you. I don't think you've learned the art of arguing your point without starting a fuss.
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full... 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 1 minute ago
- › Stax 007 MK2 Mint Condition 2 minutes ago
- › $2.50 CD player sounds better than my iPod. 2 minutes ago
- › ATH-M50x, ATH-M40x, V-moda crossfade M80 or Sennheiser PX 360? 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG... 3 minutes ago
- › Recommendations for a $1000 portable rig 3 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Klipsch Image S4 - Are they a bang for the buck? 3 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 3 minutes ago
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob