- 2,724 Posts. Joined 3/2009
- Location: Washington
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- For sale: HiFiMan HE-400 + premium wooden box + pleather/velour pads [PRICE DROP] Last post on 1/14/14 at 5:06pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- HiFiMAN: Here to stay or FOTM? Last post on 9/8/13 at 11:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones at HeadAmp - Available now (Audeze, Stax, HIFIMAN HE-400 in stock) Last post on 7/3/13 at 12:59pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Destroyed my HE-400, what to get now? Last post on 10/24/14 at 1:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- which is the best headphone with bass punch and good sq Last post on 10/4/14 at 8:12am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
Setup: System #1: Macbook Pro Retina, Fidelia Software, Fiio e17 Alpen System #2: Mac Pro, Fidelia Software, Headphone Out or Fiio e17/E09K combo Some of the tracks used to...
WHY THESE? The kind people on iBuyGou (www.ibuygou.com) kindly offered me a pair of Xiaomi-like headphones to review here, as I actively have been using my Pistons the last year, and as these...
Got one of these for a downstairs/bedroom system I'm trying to put together for peanuts. For your money, you get a very well made little steel box, crinkle finished, painted silver. You can see...
Foreword As the creator of the Titan 1 thread on head-fi, I have most of the information given here placed in the thread; however, this review is a coalescing and enhancement of the various...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 395
Gear mentioned in this thread:
So I plugged in my HE-500 directly to the speaker outputs (for the first time) of a vintage harman/kardon PM640 Vxi.
I could only hear two noticeable differences to the usual headphone outs I know and love.
1 - there was a noise floor - so that's the amp. Nothing out of the ordinary so it doesn't really count.
2 - the sub bass was a touch more dominant. It was also less tight and slower. If I listened to a lot more electronic music I might consider making space on my desk for a speaker amp, but even then I much prefer the bass from some of my other dynamic headphones.
If there were any differences to be heard in the midrange or treble, they were not significant enough on this amp to make an accurate judgement.
I may try out my more humble Fisher amp in future (whose headphone out I prefer to the lifeless harman kardon's), but for now it's connected to it's cable-salad under the TV.
While I don't listen to Taylor swift, I did compare the cup size of the HE500 to Taylor Swift's and the HE500 managed to win by a small margin based on roundness and firmness. Does this count?
Interesting comparison. Do you have any visual aids?
While I do not have graphs and exact measurements for diameter/density for both to back up my claim, after a $5k lasik operation, my eyes are deadly accurate. It got to be 20/20 or better. Just like headphones and amps, "they" do come in all shapes/sizes. It all comes down to personal preference. I don't believe that bigger is better. That's why I still love my little E09K ... until the big a.. Emotiva comes this Friday.
O2 supplies less than 600mW, more like 300.
When HE-500 peaks, it will mostly not draw anywhere near 1W. That is almost 120dB, you know... At reasonable listening volume, you would not need that headroom. If you listen at an average of 80dB, you would need a recording to have peaks of almost 40dB. You could run into problems if you crank your HE-500 to very high volume or listen to very dynamic recordings, though. But there are some out there who listen at only 60-70 dB, and then the O2 would be more than enough.
Say your not in luck, and get a HE-500 that measures 86dB/mw and has an impedance of some 50 ohms (which could easily happen, anyone remember what Tyll measured his HE-500 to?), then some beefier amping would be good.
By no means am I bashing the 337, like I have reiterated on multiple occasions I think it is fantastic with the HD 650, I just prefer the Lyr with the HE-500. The Lyr is ultra tube responsive and if you find the right tube it is an amazing little amp for the money. Judge not what you hear at a meet with unknown tubes.
That is what I consider the fantastic thing about this hobby we all share, we all hear different.
And the worst part is, I actually have been on a solid state kick as of late and have found that I may prefer the Audio GD SA-31 with the HE-500 .
It's sad to see that when people run out of actual arguments they resort to name calling. I asked Eke if he owns the HE-500 and what amps he's tried them with and in response he called me an idiotic troll. My question was fair and his answer was nonsense and the very definition of trolling.
And I responded by saying that I had more than enough time with them. If I had actually bought them for the week and a half that I had it, then sold it...would my impressions be more valid?
I call you idiotic because you hook up a HEADPHONE to SPEAKER taps, then say it has "increased dynamic range", which is audiophile for "it gets louder". What do you expect?! Then, you say that the bass response is definitely increased due to the extra power, when in fact it could be due to the sound signature of the amp.
It's not the fact that you like the Emotiva. I hate your conceited, condescending attitude, and the fact that you poke fun at others who disagree with you. I don't think you've learned the art of arguing your point without starting a fuss.
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 23 seconds ago
- › DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution? 54 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 vs Grado GS1000i 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › Modified Sony MDR-ZX100 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW: Vivo Xplay 3S + XE800 Mobile audio perfection 2 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 3 minutes ago
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by tomscy2000
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by twister6
- › Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker... by NightFlight
- › Emotiva Stealth Eight by Audiobahn808
- › AKG K7XX by Change is Good
- › Symphonized Wraith Premium Genuine Wood Headphones by cmdrmcgarrett
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3