Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 378

post #5656 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicFantasy View Post

I'm of the same opinion. The HE-500s could use some more treble. Coming from the HE-400s before the HE-500s..while the HE-400s were more annoying and painful to listen to..the treble was at times much more enjoyable to listent o than the HE-500s. The HE-500s treble seems leashed as opposed to rolled off. It'll let you go so high before pulling you back or until you can't go any farther. I wanted more tsh and just got ts instead. Cymbols weren't as nice sounding..snare drums too. The DT880s and HE-400s both did drums better than the HE-500s. The bass was more enjoyable on the HE-400s as well, but ultimately I found myself altering my facial expressions in a painful manner when listening to the HE-400s. They were just a bit too sharp and painful.

 

HE-500 could use some more treble without hopefully making it sound painful like the HE-400s.

 

Also for the person that wanted to go back to the Canare cable..I tried the canare cable and the silver cable back and forth and back and forth and could never find a time when I appreciated the canare over the silver.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicFantasy View Post

Thing I love most about the headphone is the price. It's in the perfect price range where you can't beat it. It's just shy of those headphones that could knock it out making it an excellent choice if you don't want to spend the extra for those other headphones..it also is nicely balanced. I wouldn't say it's neutral, but it's balanced pretty well. Nice lows, nice mids, pretty good highs. I'm sort of interested in hearing the T1. Never really had a chance to. I'm thinking it's probably like the DT880 but more low end and detail. The Dt880s was a fantastic headphone for the price. It only lacked bass imo. If it had stronger bass I probably would not have moved to the HE-500.

 

I have the silver cable on my HE-500s and like it more than the canare cable. I don't think it's bright enough, but I guess I don't mind a bright top end as long as it isn't harsh like the HE-400s or other headphones. The DT880s were pretty harsh in the beginning, but I grew to like it over time. It was one of those headphones that could fatigue you if you listened loudly though.

 

I find it impossible to be fatigued by the HE-500s. The HE-400s could fatigue me.

 

If I'm listening to high quality recordings I'll usually reach for the HD800 or T1, sometimes I'll mix in the HD600 for fun.  If I'll be skipping around including less than great quality, I'll always reach for the HE-500s.  The highs are there but they're rolled off just enough to hide most of the nastiness.

post #5657 of 16446
Quote:

If I'm listening to high quality recordings I'll usually reach for the HD800 or T1, sometimes I'll mix in the HD600 for fun.  If I'll be skipping around including less than great quality, I'll always reach for the HE-500s.  

 

It's a pity really that we each only have one head; think of the joys if we had three. You could have a headphone for each head and swap them around to see what each head thought, then maybe compare notes. Then you could post three reviews on Head-Fi and attempt to reconcile the contradictions in an Afterthoughts.

 

Makes you wonder what a modern surgeon could do. It's such a nuisance to have to keep swapping all the time....  

 

biggrin.gif

post #5658 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

 

It's a pity really that we each only have one head; think of the joys if we had three. You could have a headphone for each head and swap them around to see what each head thought, then maybe compare notes. Then you could post three reviews on Head-Fi and attempt to reconcile the contradictions in an Afterthoughts.

 

Makes you wonder what a modern surgeon could do. It's such a nuisance to have to keep swapping all the time....  

 

biggrin.gif

 

hahaha if only.

post #5659 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post

 

 

If I'm listening to high quality recordings I'll usually reach for the HD800 or T1, sometimes I'll mix in the HD600 for fun.  If I'll be skipping around including less than great quality, I'll always reach for the HE-500s.  The highs are there but they're rolled off just enough to hide most of the nastiness.

It's great to see someone who has same phones in inventory as me. :) For me, it HD800/T1 or HE500/HD600 depending on mood and music.

post #5660 of 16446

Had the Sennheiser HD650's for a while and I just got the HE-500's...HE-500's are the winner, no-contest!

 

Way more clarity, but what surprised me was how much more natural it sounded compared to the HD650's.

 

post #5661 of 16446

^Gz to you then biggrin.gif

post #5662 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbythemelody View Post

Had the Sennheiser HD650's for a while and I just got the HE-500's...HE-500's are the winner, no-contest!

Way more clarity, but what surprised me was how much more natural it sounded compared to the HD650's.

I have the HD650's as well and whenever I change something in my system I take them out of the closet to compare them and I agree.

The HD650's have a dry, papery sound to my ears after listening with HE-500s. Once you are addicted to the tonality of ortho's there is no going back unfortunately.
post #5663 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbythemelody View Post

 

this is an horror movie??eek.gif

george romero is the director???

post #5664 of 16446

Hi everyone,  I am a new owner of the HE500.  One problem I am having is with the stock cable rubbing and the noise goes all the way up to the cups.  What's option to address this issue?

Please don't say "get a new better cable"  cuz I am not ready for that just yet.  tongue.gif Other than this issue, I am loving the HPs so far.  Zero EQ and these headphones sound wonderful.  I am rocking thru my favorite flamenco guitar collection. Thx ahead.


Edited by koiloco - 6/25/13 at 3:17pm
post #5665 of 16446

Yea it is really freaky LOL

post #5666 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

Hi everyone,  I am a new owner of the HE500.  One problem I am having is with the stock cable rubbing and the noise goes all the way up to the cups.  What's option to address this issue?

Please don't say "get a new better cable"  cuz I am not ready for that just yet.  tongue.gif Other than this issue, I am loving the HPs so far.  Zero EQ and these headphones sound wonderful.  I am rocking thru my favorite flamenco guitar collection. Thx ahead.


You can't do anything with the microphonics. Might consider getting a sleeve for the cable, that could perhaps help. You can get a cable of higher quality than the stock for not much. Any good cobber cable would do, and if anyone will make it for you for material prices, it doesn't necessarily cost much more than 50-90$.

post #5667 of 16446
Like Davidsh said you could sleeve the cable. I remember reading a thread where others did that. You could do a search for it. Shouldn't cost you very much for sleeving.
post #5668 of 16446

Stock cable is just pure garbage and needs to be thrown away immediately upon receipt. Okay you can throw it in the box in case you need to sell your HE-500, but you get my point. My BTG cable is soft, non-microphonic and looks beautiful to boot. Now I don't want to talk about sonics because some people are stupid, but let's just say I'm pleased. evil_smiley.gif

post #5669 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

Stock cable is just pure garbage and needs to be thrown away immediately upon receipt. Okay you can throw it in the box in case you need to sell your HE-500, but you get my point. My BTG cable is soft, non-microphonic and looks beautiful to boot. Now I don't want to talk about sonics because some people are stupid, but let's just say I'm pleased. evil_smiley.gif

Which BTG cable that you are using now ?
I'm looking for the 8 Strand SPC Headphone and just wondering what does the difference between that cable and the stock cable of HE-500 which is already Silver coated copper cable.
post #5670 of 16446
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSantana View Post


Which BTG cable that you are using now ?
I'm looking for the 8 Strand SPC Headphone and just wondering what does the difference between that cable and the stock cable of HE-500 which is already Silver coated copper cable.

Sunset

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .