Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 375

post #5611 of 14990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngyu View Post

 

hahaha dont worry, your HE500 has got a good home now. and I'm sure the LCD-3 will be more than enough to satisfy the hole these babies left. 

Of course man, Audeze LCD-3 is way much more expensive than HiFiMan HE-500 :-)

post #5612 of 14990

HE-500 for sheer musicality, Stax for musical beauty L3000.gif

 

How nice they seem to complement each other... Basically different presentation in every way thinkable.


Edited by davidsh - 6/20/13 at 4:56pm
post #5613 of 14990

Given that Fang cat build such a great phone as the HE500 at this price, I wonder what he could do at an LCD3 or HD800 price for a phone that could be driven

by a regular headphone amp. I think that by now Hifiman has a good enough reputation to do this if technologically possible and he has some good ideas.

post #5614 of 14990

Just received the HE-500, an addition to my humble collection (Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads, Audio Technica M50 and Koss Portapros). The HE-500 sounds incredibly good, and I can say that it's magnitudes better than the Mad Dogs although some people say they are very comparable. The HE-500 trumps the Mad Dogs in nearly every aspect (except for comfort and isolation).

 

I am currently using them with the Schiit Modi/Magni so I know that there is a lot of headroom for improvement. In any case, the HE-500 are brilliant headphones, and most probably, are my end-game headphones.

post #5615 of 14990
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

Given that Fang cat build such a great phone as the HE500 at this price, I wonder what he could do at an LCD3 or HD800 price for a phone that could be driven

by a regular headphone amp. I think that by now Hifiman has a good enough reputation to do this if technologically possible and he has some good ideas.

true. in my little experience the he-6(note: that i´ve sold) is the best headphone in the market and very close to the expensive stax sr-009.

cost a little more compared to the lcd-2

ok, the all hifiman headphones have pratically the same structure but i believe in technological capacity of hifiman brand.

for this reason i will see for the future releasespopcorn.gif

post #5616 of 14990
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenscerri View Post

Just received the HE-500, an addition to my humble collection (Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads, Audio Technica M50 and Koss Portapros). The HE-500 sounds incredibly good, and I can say that it's magnitudes better than the Mad Dogs although some people say they are very comparable. The HE-500 trumps the Mad Dogs in nearly every aspect (except for comfort and isolation).

 

I am currently using them with the Schiit Modi/Magni so I know that there is a lot of headroom for improvement. In any case, the HE-500 are brilliant headphones, and most probably, are my end-game headphones.

How many times have we heard that? See you around in some months... You will most likely realise it's shortcomings sooner or later cool.gif

post #5617 of 14990
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

How many times have we heard that? See you around in some months... You will most likely realise it's shortcomings sooner or later cool.gif
Every headphone..no matter how expensive..has its shortcomings...but u have to agree..for the price of 699 usd its hard to find a more balanced headphone then the he500. Imho ofcourse.
post #5618 of 14990
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Every headphone..no matter how expensive..has its shortcomings...but u have to agree..for the price of 699 usd its hard to find a more balanced headphone then the he500. Imho ofcourse.

That's definitely true... If we are talking new anyway. HE-500 is just about what I would call hi-end, don't kno any other 'phones around that price being that... imho...

post #5619 of 14990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Thanks for buying my HE-500, I know you'll like them. At the same time, you are now my most hated person on head-fi tongue.gif

 

Maybe I'll see them again at a meet.

 

hahaha, i have no doubt that i am =) enjoying the HE500 so much! Except right now... its only running through my STX, I had to send my Lyr back in for warranty... so sad, gonna be Lyr-less for a month probably.

post #5620 of 14990
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Every headphone..no matter how expensive..has its shortcomings...but u have to agree..for the price of 699 usd its hard to find a more balanced headphone then the he500. Imho ofcourse.

 

The 500s aren't what I'd call balanced headphones. They have lower and upper mids emphasis (bump, not spike) that gives them a warm and romantic sound (perfect for voices & acoustics, IMO).

I could name a lot of cheaper headphones that are more balanced (Mad Dogs, HE-4, Q-701, ...).

 

The 5LEs are (much) more balanced, for the same price.

They're still available at head-direct but you need to contact them by mail.

post #5621 of 14990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngyu View Post

hahaha, i have no doubt that i am =) enjoying the HE500 so much! Except right now... its only running through my STX, I had to send my Lyr back in for warranty... so sad, gonna be Lyr-less for a month probably.

 

You could use this while waiting for your Lyr very_evil_smiley.gif


http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100
 

post #5622 of 14990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda View Post

 

You could use this while waiting for your Lyr very_evil_smiley.gif


http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100
 

Sounds like a plan tongue.gif

post #5623 of 14990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda View Post

 

You could use this while waiting for your Lyr very_evil_smiley.gif


http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100
 

 

Yea good match with LCD-2, HE-500, bookshelf and even efficient tower speakers. LCD-3 should be good as well, hopefully.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngyu View Post

 

hahaha, i have no doubt that i am =) enjoying the HE500 so much! Except right now... its only running through my STX, I had to send my Lyr back in for warranty... so sad, gonna be Lyr-less for a month probably.

 

Ahh that sucks man. Although it won't be too bad. I had to use E10 for 2 months before getting an O2 (and then eventually the Emotiva), the HE-500 will still sound good with all amps. Had you bought the LCD-2s instead, you would've been screwed. These are quite picky.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

How many times have we heard that? See you around in some months... You will most likely realise it's shortcomings sooner or later cool.gif

 

I got to that stage in about 3-4 months. Let's see how long it takes him biggrin.gif [Of course for the price, can't complain at all] Mids were almost as good as the LCD-2s. Bass was as almost as good as LCD-2s. Treble was better than LCD-2, although I started to prefer the LCD-2 more in the last month (much easier on the ears over a long time). Soundstage wise, LCD-2 was more immersive. HE-500 was wider but not as immersive. The lack of a 3D presentation was the biggest shortcoming of the HE-500. This became more apparent over the months. I really loved the sound of the HE-500 but after getting the LCD-2, it was hard to go back due to the limited depth. For most newcomers here with HE-500, they don't have to worry about this for a couple of months.

 

I never called the HE-500 an end game when I first got them and were really exciting. Same thing with LCD-2. I loved them but I can seem improve in certain aspects, however I see them bring it closer to my ideal performance than the HE-500 did. LCD-3 should be an improvement over the LCD-2 and the HE-500 by default, let's see just how much closer it gets it there. Should be getting them either today or tomorrow.

post #5624 of 14990
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Every headphone..no matter how expensive..has its shortcomings...but u have to agree..for the price of 699 usd its hard to find a more balanced headphone then the he500. Imho ofcourse.

totally agree with you on that. The HE-500 does everything right for me in terms of sound, minus the soundstaging, and the BUILD QUALITY. I guess thats why people DIY mods with these headphones... build quality feels the same after a ghetto mod LOL... 

post #5625 of 14990

I've had my HE-500 for about four months now and I am just as happy with them as the day I got them. It seems every time I listen to a new song I am blown away by the HE-500. The warm midrange, wonderfully smooth treble and highly layered presentation just keeps me coming back for more. I don't have any desire to "upgrade" at all. That is, until the HE-600.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .