or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 373

post #5581 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicFantasy View Post

I wonder if anyone agrees with me when I say that the HE-500s bass sounds amazing when the song is NOT complicated/busy. If you're listening to a bass guitar solo or something..the bass sounds fantastic..but as other sounds are introduced..the bass weakens a lot. I can definitely understand why..I just didn't expect it to be so prominent on a planar magnetic headphone.

 

Not really. Can you give some examples of tracks where you experience this?

post #5582 of 18011

Well..I didn't particularly have a song in mind as it usually is any and every song. If there's a bass only part it sounds great..but as other instruments are introduced the bass dies down and the drivers focus on the other instruments more it seems. Here's a song as an example:

 

Lacuna Coil - This Is My Dream

post #5583 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicFantasy View Post

I wonder if anyone agrees with me when I say that the HE-500s bass sounds amazing when the song is NOT complicated/busy. If you're listening to a bass guitar solo or something..the bass sounds fantastic..but as other sounds are introduced..the bass weakens a lot. I can definitely understand why..I just didn't expect it to be so prominent on a planar magnetic headphone

IMO? you need more power. Where speaker taps really shine is when songs get complex. The dynamic range remains intact and even shines when the song become super complex with multiple things happening at the same time, bass and treble comes through with aplomb. With quiet songs with only one or two things happening the speaker taps don't shine as much.

 

This is just my experience/opinion. YMMV, etc, etc...

post #5584 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicFantasy View Post

Well..I didn't particularly have a song in mind as it usually is any and every song. If there's a bass only part it sounds great..but as other instruments are introduced the bass dies down and the drivers focus on the other instruments more it seems. Here's a song as an example:

 

Lacuna Coil - This Is My Dream

That's the problem with how poorly the music was mastered, its lacklustre dynamic range, and also the low bit-rate, not the headphone's problem.

post #5585 of 18011

Alright guys. I got about an hour left with the HE-500 before I part ways with it. Tell me some of your absolute top shelf stuff that pairs well with the HE-500 so I can give it a listen.

post #5586 of 18011

I was thinking it might be how the song was mastered. Unfortunately many good songs are recorded and mastered very poorly.

post #5587 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

Alright guys. I got about an hour left with the HE-500 before I part ways with it. Tell me some of your absolute top shelf stuff that pairs well with the HE-500 so I can give it a listen.

Man.. you're making me sad Zoom. Hope you pick up another HE-500 sooner than later. redface.gif

post #5588 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

Man.. you're making me sad Zoom. Hope you pick up another HE-500 sooner than later. redface.gif

 

I didn't know it was possible to have all these feels from a headphone. I got rid of the LCD-2 this afternoon, getting a LCD-3 so it didn't hurt that bad. The HE-500 and me on the other hand go back over a year. My first mind blowing headphone. If I had the funds, I would have definitely kept it. Who knows, I might pick up a HE-500 again or a HE-6 in the future. I was on the LCD-2s for the past month, so just put the HE-500 back on today. So much aiirrrrrrrr. I'll do some Pink Floyd for old time's sake. triportsad.gif

post #5589 of 18011

Bassnectar, Kryptic Minds, Late Night Alumni and Pink Floyd were my absolute favourite on the HE-500s. Whenever I felt the HE-500s to be off or needed to get the love back, I would pop them in and be like "Oh, so that's why I bought the HE-500s."

post #5590 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

I didn't know it was possible to have all these feels from a headphone. I got rid of the LCD-2 this afternoon, getting a LCD-3 so it didn't hurt that bad. The HE-500 and me on the other hand go back over a year. My first mind blowing headphone. If I had the funds, I would have definitely kept it. Who knows, I might pick up a HE-500 again or a HE-6 in the future. I was on the LCD-2s for the past month, so just put the HE-500 back on today. So much aiirrrrrrrr. I'll do some Pink Floyd for old time's sake. triportsad.gif

LCD3 is indeed really nice-sounding. It's tuned in a way that gives it that electrostatic "zing" without any treble harshness or glare. When I auditioned it, it sounded more akin in tonality to HE500 than to LCD2r1/r2.

post #5591 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 So much aiirrrrrrrr.

+1

 

Same way I felt when I owned them both. I had both for over a year and missed them really bad after selling. After some hard thinking decided to build a new rig around the HE-500 because it sounded good with all genres, but wouldn't mind having a LCD-2 around for those lush vocals and hard hitting bass. wink.gif

post #5592 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

+1

 

Same way I felt when I owned them both. I had both for over a year and missed them really bad after selling. After some hard thinking decided to build a new rig around the HE-500 because it sounded good with all genres, but wouldn't mind having a LCD-2 around for those lush vocals and hard hitting bass. wink.gif

 

Yea for sure, a definite possibility in the future. They are gone...for now.

 

Woke up today and had 2 planers. Going to bed with none. Feeling so naked right now.

 

I've heard that HE-6 has more depth than HE-500 so I might go for them instead this time. Going from a LCD-2 and HE-500 to LCD-3 and HE-6....<---- there's some kind of archetypal/theme in there, just can't think of one at the moment.

post #5593 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

LCD3 is indeed really nice-sounding. It's tuned in a way that gives it that electrostatic "zing" without any treble harshness or glare. When I auditioned it, it sounded more akin in tonality to HE500 than to LCD2r1/r2.

 

Yea LCD-3 should be a fun experience. Good to know about the comparison. Damn, sorry I couldn't do your mod. I even had the extra pleaters set to try it but never got around to it.

post #5594 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Yea LCD-3 should be a fun experience. Good to know about the comparison. Damn, sorry I couldn't do your mod. I even had the extra pleaters set to try it but never got around to it.

Maybe you can get around to it if you opt for HE6 in the future.

post #5595 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Maybe you can get around to it if you opt for HE6 in the future.

 

Yup will do if I get them smile.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .