- 3,633 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Location: Gresham, OR
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Destroyed my HE-400, what to get now? Last post on 10/24/14 at 1:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- which is the best headphone with bass punch and good sq Last post on 10/4/14 at 8:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Speaker cables for headphones? Last post on 4/21/14 at 8:13pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- = Hifiman “Fuzzor” Mod = (Driver backwave felt damping modification) Last post on Yesterday at 4:30 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- For sale: HiFiMan HE-400 + premium wooden box + pleather/velour pads [PRICE DROP] Last post on 1/14/14 at 5:06pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
First, I’d like to thank Audrey and the folks at Brainwavz for providing me a sample of the S0 for review. This is only the second Brainwavz earphone I’ve had the pleasure to audition, the...
Introduction So here's my contribution to the growing collection of reviews on Rock Jaw's Alfa Genus. For those of you interested in purchasing a pair, hopefully this is a useful addition; for...
OK, before I get into my review of the MDR-Z7 I feel a need to give some background and history of my time on head-fi. It might help make sense of my love of this headphone and why at the same...
Thanks to Brainwavz for this review set of pleather and velour replacement pads. I bought a pair of the pleather models a year or so ago in an effort to make my wife's JVC S400's more comfortable...
To give you an idea of where I'm coming from I have owned JH audio JH5 IEMs, Fostex T50rps, and Audio Technica ATH-M50x's. My Fostex T50rps were issued to me at audio engineering school and were...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 370
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Interesting about the speaker amp suggestion (I guess it's a hifiman-family thing). Thanks for the nice comments m-13.
But I get my great results with either my Pinnacle (in high-impedance mode) or Rudistor RP010B, both running balanced.
Edited by rgs9200m - 6/15/13 at 9:33am
I run my HE-500 out of a vintage Fisher SS speaker amp headphone-out (nothing special compared to the Kenwood, but fairly powerful) and it's okay.
The biggest problem with this is the background noise as I have to turn the volume to around 50% to get the volume to a nice level. This is due to the standard use of resistors in the headphone out, and turning up the volume so high naturally increases electronic background noise that builds up in the whole sound chain.
I prefer the clear perfectly black background from my PA2V2 compared to the speaker amp, but I prefer the extra dynamic range and I get from the vintage amp.
But neither are anywhere close to ideal.
The left driver of my HE-500 is recently adding a low volume but very annoying "screech" sound at certain songs parts. I have already ruled out all chance of faulty cable or upstream gear and my other cans are faultless.
Can anyone propose something, or is it high time for RMA (it will be the 3rd for those cans in less than 2 years) as I imagine ?
I've noticed while using my Lyr that after about 30 minutes of use I start to get a very high frequency screech (maybe 16-17khz) in one side of my headphones, usually the left. It happens with any headphone I plug into it. If I unplug the headphone from the headphone jack and plug it back in it goes away but comes back after a few minutes. It's not particularly loud but it is annoying, especially during a quiet part of a song when it's more noticeable.
My guess is that it's a problem with a tube. Meaning the problem is likely triggered by the heated tube. Swap one tube for another and see if the problem moves to the other cup. Then you'll know.
What I would really like to see and would almost definately purchase would be a HE-400 level headphone but with a more balanced frequency response without that massive peak at 10khz. Similar FR to the HE-500 but cheaper manufacturing and slightly worse sound quality, I would buy that.
If it would also be slightly easy to run, i wouldn't say no to that either.
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New desktop setup? 4 seconds ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 25 seconds ago
- › The Stax Thread III 29 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 41 seconds ago
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Lightweight Over-Ear Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundApprentice
- › Beyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by anoobis
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by dweaver
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by shockdoc
- › CAD MH310 ( Superlux HD662 ) by p13rrot
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by twister6
- › Meridian Explorer by dnun8086
- › Audio Technica ATH-WS55i Portable Headphones with Microphone for... by oThatsEric
- › Advices for catching the right home loan
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3