or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 364

post #5446 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Yep. 

Since I'm an attorney, it especially bothers me when anyone uses something that I didn't say to bolster their argument.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you did it unintentionally or misinterpreted something that I said at the meet because I'm pretty sure I never said that the HD600/HD650 are equal to the HE500.

post #5447 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limniscate View Post

Since I'm an attorney, it especially bothers me when anyone uses something that I didn't say to bolster their argument.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you did it unintentionally or misinterpreted something that I said at the meet because I'm pretty sure I never said that the HD600/HD650 are equal to the HE500.

 

So what did you say?

post #5448 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

So what did you say?

I said that both were better than I had remembered from the last time that I listened to them, which in the case of the HD650, was at the Austin meet, and in the case of the HD600, was over a year ago in Seoul, South Korea.  I don't think I actually said anything about them in relation to the HE500, and if I did, I'm pretty sure I would have said that the HE500 are better but not necessarily hundreds of dollars better.  I think the same thing about the HE500 over the HE400, but it's really hard to justify how much better something is in dollar value because everyone values money and sound quality differently.

post #5449 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limniscate View Post

I said that both were better than I had remembered from the last time that I listened to them, which in the case of the HD650, was at the Austin meet, and in the case of the HD600, was over a year ago in Seoul, South Korea.  I don't think I actually said anything about them in relation to the HE500, and if I did, I'm pretty sure I would have said that the HE500 are better but not necessarily hundreds of dollars better.  I think the same thing about the HE500 over the HE400, but it's really hard to justify how much better something is in dollar value because everyone values money and sound quality differently.

 

Then my apologies for taking your words out of context. I just could have sworn you said, when I asked you if they were on the same level, "well they're different!" (with a laugh). "The vocals on the HD600 are amazing." "The HD600 is dead neutral." (this was in reply to me saying that I love how they give me my music exactly how it is).

post #5450 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Then my apologies for taking your words out of context. I just could have sworn you said, when I asked you if they were on the same level, "well they're different!" (with a laugh). "The vocals on the HD600 are amazing." "The HD600 is dead neutral." (this was in reply to me saying that I love how they give me my music exactly how it is).

I did make those two comments but didn't intend to convey that that meant I thought the HD600/650 are on par with the HE500. 

post #5451 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limniscate View Post

I did make those two comments but didn't intend to convey that that meant I thought the HD600/650 are on par with the HE500. 

 

Hm, then what do you think the HE-500 does better?

 

Not trying to draw a pissing match, btw. I'm just genuinely curious. Your body language and words at the meet led me to believe that you found them equal.


Edited by eke2k6 - 6/10/13 at 9:02pm
post #5452 of 18011

I think it depends on what genres you are listening to... Because the HD600/HD650 probably does sound almost as good in genres such as vocals, acoustic, classical maybe etc. But as soon as the pace of the music gets faster and sub bass or PRAT come into question then the HD600/HD650 are actually quite poor. For some genres they are amazing and for others they are not very good at all, whereas I would guess from what I read and the specs that the HE500 with its flat bass and much faster drivers are better across all genres, including fast and/or bassy music... I guess if you notice no difference between the two it is because you only listen to genres where the HD600/HD650 are not showing their weaknesses. Sorry but I just wanted to say that as an ex owner of the HD650 even though I have only read about and looked at the FR of the HE-500 / planar headphones in general.


Edited by nicholars - 6/10/13 at 9:05pm
post #5453 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Again, I don't know which HD650 you're listening to.

 

I've been around the rodeo enough to know differences when I hear them.

 

I really didn't want to respond, but hyperbole makes me reflexively want to call BS.

Not sure what rodeo you've been around, but I actually owned the HD650 for quite a few months, and had a brand new replacement from Sennheiser USA, so yeah I know what they sound like. I've also had four different pairs of HE-500s so I know what they sound like.

Not sure how in the world transient response can only be faster in the bass and not the other frequencies. You've been around some funny rodeos my friend. The planar diaphram moves at one speed across all frequencies. If it's faster in the bass it's faster in the mids and treble as well. And yes the HE-500 is atleast twice as fast as the HD650 across all frequencies, hell even the little DT1350 with Tesla inside is faster.

 

You may think my opinion is BS, but I also think your opinion is complete BS and typical of short meet impressions.

post #5454 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

 

You may think my opinion is BS, but I also think your opinion is complete BS and typical of short meet impressions.

 

You forget that I had a full week with the HE-500 to A/B with my HD600.

 

Still, I don't know what I expected coming into the lion's den, and saying that Nile Crocs are the superior species. smily_headphones1.gif

 

arrested-development-dont-know-what-expected.gif


Edited by eke2k6 - 6/10/13 at 9:17pm
post #5455 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

You forget that I had a full week with the HE-500 to A/B with my HD600.

 

Still, I don't know what I expected coming into the lion's den, and saying that Nile Crocs are the superior species. smily_headphones1.gif

 

 

Wow a full week. I guess that's quite a rodeo. And yes you didn't have the HE-500 properly amped. Sorry get a better beefier amp.


Edited by M-13 - 6/10/13 at 9:16pm
post #5456 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

Wow a full week. I guess that's quite a rodeo. And yes you didn't have the HE-500 properly amped. Sorry get a better beefier amp.

 

 

willy-wonka-wilder-300x300.jpg

post #5457 of 18011

By the by, Nile Crocs suck. Go Lions!!!

post #5458 of 18011

popcorn.gif

post #5459 of 18011
Yep yep yep!
post #5460 of 18011

It's amusing watching how defensive everyone gets when someone expresses an opposing view. 

 

The HE 500's are planar magnetics so are inherently "superior" to dynamic drivers in my opinion. I think this is the only advantage the HE 500 has over the HD650. 

 

The HE 500's make music sound lifeless and tedious IMO.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .