or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 36

post #526 of 18030

I hope I can get a pair of the new pads before the 20th. There is a good chance it could happen.

post #527 of 18030
Very interested in seeing pics of the new pads. redface.gif
post #528 of 18030
Thread Starter 

I assume they will be some type of pleather. 

post #529 of 18030
I was hoping for improved cloth ones. Definitely not a fan of pleather.
post #530 of 18030

pleather or leather - can't understand why they make pads in such materials, with an exception for professional environments. 

 

Are the new pads thicker? Do they angle the rivers like the lcd2 pads?

 

post #531 of 18030

leather + open headphones = bad.

 

I think they should stick with velour.

post #532 of 18030

Subscribed! I would love to see pictures of a leather pad option for the HiFiMAN cans.

post #533 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

leather + open headphones = bad.

 

I think they should stick with velour.



Why bad?  LCD2 is leather and open and I don't think its bad at all.

post #534 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunneebear View Post





Why bad?  LCD2 is leather and open and I don't think its bad at all.


They're one of the few that pulled it off, but that's not to say the sound couldn't be improved in some aspects with velour pads on them. I feel leather reduces the "open" sound and makes certain frequencies more resonant.

 

Lets wait and see what HiFiMAN does. Maybe leather won't be bad with their headphones, but I bet it will change the sound.

 

post #535 of 18030

Anyone experienced alterations in the HE-500 sound after some time of use (aka burn-in)? I think the HE-500 is getting better and better, and it is solely not just imagination / in my head, since I switch between them and the LCD-2s and my brain can't "be burned in". 

 

Maybe it's just the simple fact that "change is good". I guess that is the unspoken motto within this hobby.


Edited by Loevhagen - 8/3/11 at 2:06pm
post #536 of 18030

changes? no, but i'm really enjoying the 500's sound sig. as much as the lcd2. very well balanced sound

with an addictive mid range. even the piano sounds silly good.

post #537 of 18030

100% agree @ "an addictive mid range. even the piano sounds silly good". Actually the ability to convey the sound fra a piano was one of the first things I loved with them. And of course the intimate midrange. 

 

I wasn't that impressed at the very start after they passed my door step, but now I have a quite affectionate view on them. The HE-500 is a headphone that deserves more attention, but I guess it drowns in the LCD-2 wave.

 

 


Edited by Loevhagen - 8/3/11 at 2:49pm
post #538 of 18030

i'm very intrigued as to what the new earpads will do to the sound sig. for the 500 and the he6, as well.

 

yes, the lcd2 wave is amazingly good, but in danger of being hyper-sensitive and overly defended in face of

any form of criticism or objection, like the singlepower amps of several years past.


Edited by takezo - 8/3/11 at 2:58pm
post #539 of 18030
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

Anyone experienced alterations in the HE-500 sound after some time of use (aka burn-in)? I think the HE-500 is getting better and better, and it is solely not just imagination / in my head, since I switch between them and the LCD-2s and my brain can't "be burned in". 

 

Maybe it's just the simple fact that "change is good". I guess that is the unspoken motto within this hobby.

I found, much to my surprise, that they took 100 to 200 hours to fully settle. The LCD-2 and HE-6 a few hours of use and I heard no changes. Others have noted this as well. Normally there isn't much to change on an ortho so what goes on here I have no idea but they do get better, IMO from how they sound at first listen. 
 

 

post #540 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post




They're one of the few that pulled it off, but that's not to say the sound couldn't be improved in some aspects with velour pads on them. I feel leather reduces the "open" sound and makes certain frequencies more resonant.

 

Lets wait and see what HiFiMAN does. Maybe leather won't be bad with their headphones, but I bet it will change the sound.

 



I agree, the leather on the LCD is lending to some of its sonic signature.  Also, I think it is responsible for some of the discomfort people experience with them.  Its the leather but also the shape/size of the pad.   The velour on the HE-500 is more pliable and more comfortable despite the fact that the HE-500 has greater clamping force.  I have a rev 1 and 2 LCD-2 on hand, both feel like they have less clamping pressure (easier to spread) in my hands but both both are less comfortable than the HE-500 (by a good margin) when you wear them.

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .