or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 348

post #5206 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist8108 View Post

For portable use the Headstage Arrow 4g is my go to amp. The Arrow drives the HE 500 with more authority than the amp in the DX 100 IMO, especially with bass extension.


Thanks!

That sonds exiting. I am going to Listen to HE-500 with the Arrow some time in june when I am visiting Stockholm. There is no dealer where i live.

I have read a lot about diferent headphones for a while now, and it seams like HE-500 is the one for me :-)
post #5207 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

I think a rule of thumb for doing/not doing the jergpad modding is, if you can't hear a difference between stock pleathers vs velour pads, don't even bother doing any mods.

To the inquisitive ear that is familiar with how the HE500s sound, the two pad types have fundamentally different sound signatures.
And am still waiting for my jerg modded pads redface.gif
post #5208 of 18011

I just want to reiterate that the HE500s seem to me to be the greatest bargain ever in the headphone world. 

They are not just "good for the money." I have/had many of the flagships and I still love and give lots of headtime to these

on my Rudistor RP010B; they're so musical, so full of life but just let me listen for a long time w/o thinking of any sonic issue.

Other phones may have some wow-factor in some area, but when I have these on, I just don't think about anything but the music falling out of these beauties.

(Edit: they were also very fine with my little 1st-generation Headroom Max, but the Rudistor really makes them shine with great imaging and very solid bass and sweet highs.

So they do scale with a better amp and source, but they don't seem to require the best input to sound very decent.)

I feel they are right up there with LCD3s and HD800s and TH900s in terms of an engaging compelling sound. Under $1K ? Unbelievable.

(I tried and sold Beyer T1s, Ultrasone Ed8s, Denon 7000s, Senn HD650s, HD600s, all of which had some sonic issues and none of which ever gave me the enjoyment I have with the HE500s.

I really thank Fang and Hifman for these.)


Edited by rgs9200m - 5/31/13 at 8:55am
post #5209 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

I just want to reiterate that the HE500s seem to me to be the greatest bargain ever in the headphone world. 

They are not just "good for the money." I have/had many of the flagships and I still love and give lots of headtime to these

on my Rudistor RP010B; they're so musical, so full of life but just let me listen for a long time w/o thinking of any sonic issue.

Other phones may have some wow-factor in some area, but when I have these on, I just don't think about anything but the music falling out of these beauties.

(Edit: they were also very fine with my little 1st-generation Headroom Max, but the Rudistor really makes them shine with great imaging and very solid bass and sweet highs.

So they do scale with a better amp and source, but they don't seem to require the best input to sound very decent.)

i agree with you.

you use some aftermarket cable?

post #5210 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


And am still waiting for my jerg modded pads redface.gif

Yeah whatever happened to that guy?

post #5211 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Yeah whatever happened to that guy?
Gone with the wind? I still wanna try jergmodded pads..but as i once said..i am very bad in making things redface.gif
post #5212 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Gone with the wind? I still wanna try jergmodded pads..but as i once said..i am very bad in making things redface.gif

dissappointing, especially if you have already paid.

post #5213 of 18011

I use Drew's Silver Dragons (balanced). But I like the stock cables also. 

One more note on the sonics is that vocals avoid sounding at all raspy (digital?) on recordings prone to this. LCD3s do this too (maybe it's a planar-magnetic thing...).


Edited by rgs9200m - 5/31/13 at 3:40pm
post #5214 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

I use Drew's Silver Dragons (balanced). But I like the stock cables also.

never tried thew hifiman balanced cable?

io never tried silver cable on the he-500, only occ copper

post #5215 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post

never tried thew hifiman balanced cable?

io never tried silver cable on the he-500, only occ copper

No, never did. Drew said the Silver was absolutely the best match, and my ears agree and I left things at that as a happy camper.

post #5216 of 18011

I have also got pure silver cable (with a touch of goldtongue.gif). Seems very nice. It is also with adapters so I can go balanced, TRS and banana

post #5217 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

dissappointing, especially if you have already paid.
Luckily for me i didnt pay yet smily_headphones1.gif
post #5218 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

No, never did. Drew said the Silver was absolutely the best match, and my ears agree and I left things at that as a happy camper.

understood

thank you!beerchug.gif

post #5219 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

How long have you had the he-500? I barely heard the difference in the beginning

I've had them 5+ months. 

post #5220 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

Prototype 2: (and possibly the final design)
This idea came to me last night after thinking about vintage AKG studio model headbands - I know it's not the same, but they're one of the most complex headbands ever and simultaneously seem to present a set of solutions to problems they naturally create by their own flaws, which increases the number of parts (which means more things can go wrong).
I concluded that my first design was connecting to the headband in the wrong place.




With this design, the adjustment is done by the Hifiman headband (the headband never changes size - just the position of the earcups on the head changes) which naturally serves a wider range of head sizes, increases design simplicity and therefore keeps costs down. (these high quality pop-fasteners aren't exactly cheap for what they are)
The only possible weak link is the effects of weight on leather over time, although only the small pop-fastener part would need to be replaced in the event of material failure. I think if I produce any more, it will include a layer of fabric underneath to increase long-term durability. 

A natural bi-product of this design is that the suede-like underside of the leather grips quite well - this is good if you want it; I know some people have complained in the past about the headphones wobbling on the head - this headband helps reduce that effect considerably.

This looks very nice but I am concerned about placing the entire weight of the headphone directly on the plastic adjustors. They seem to be a weak point in the headphone's design. I have never experienced problems with them but I have heard others say they have.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .