or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 325

post #4861 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

lol sorry I got the impression that you were English but not very good at it... I cannot speak any other languages! Your English is good then if it is not your native language beerchug.gif
No harm done..my apologies also, i was a bit jumpy about ur reaction..i am like that since a very recent tragedy in my family..my native languages are dutch and portuguese, my second is german..and then comes english wink.gif talking to u guys makes my english better.. biggrin.gif
post #4862 of 18018
I find the lyr great with the 500 should fit the price range
post #4863 of 18018

I'm not a native English speaker either. But I would kill (literally) to get that British accent bigsmile_face.gif

post #4864 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


No harm done..my apologies also, i was a bit jumpy about ur reaction..i am like that since a very recent tragedy in my family..my native languages are dutch and portuguese, my second is german..and then comes english wink.gif talking to u guys makes my english better.. biggrin.gif

 

That is pretty impressive amount of languages... You learnt a new word today anyway :D

post #4865 of 18018

Last night, I spend about 4 hours listening to my music.  It was an absolute joy, even some 256k mp3s were sounding gorgeous.  It is exactly the sound I have been waiting for.  Very natural, airy, large soundstage and good bass. Decent impact, just the right amount to feel it yet not bloating out the other parts of the music, tight and hitting low. Imaging was excellent.  Needless to say, Dire Straits, Nina Simone, Joss Stone... had all come to the house.  The highlight was the feeling in the music.  It was that analogue sound and it was clear. It was like directly listening to the recording and nothing in between. I have never heard vinyl but I am guessing this is what the hype is about in vinyl (IMO).  I can honestly and finally say it was Nirvana.  So from now on, its download more music, sit back and teleport myself into another world.  

 

I thought I would write a few words as I am sure we all notice the same issues arising every few pages on the He500 thread. For the guys/girls looking to buy new headphones or specifically the He500.  It's a fantastic headphone and worth the purchase.  I am sure you have already read many raving reviews but it has some minor weak points.  Bear in mind, these are the issues I decided to improve on it to really makes these headphones sing.

 

1) Soundstage, is a little narrower compared to the AKG K7xx line.  I think this is a weak point with most planars.   I almost thought of selling my He500 for a pair of K702 65th annies/Q701.  

 

2) Bass, believe it or not.  The bass only goes low and hits well with good amping. If you're planning on running an He500 with an O2, this is  the first thing you will notice (If you're happy with the sound from an O2/E9 with the He500, so be it ).

 

3) Yes, they need good amping, doesn't have to be expensive.  A good second hand speaker amp with banana cables will work fantastic.  I went down the tube lane.  Stuff like Schiit Lyr, SA-31, DK337/LF339, Bottlehead, V200 work well with these phones.  The trade section of this forum always has some really good deals going on. 

 

4) You can't buy the He500 and play 128k mp3s.  Improve the quality of your music.  FLAC files/320k mp3s. Crap goes in, crap comes out.

 

5) The headphones is part of the equation.  Yes, I get music out of the He500 even when I connect them directly to my mac (the above issues do glare at me in the face when I do this).  But to make them sing, Source + amp + headphones = EARGASM.

 

6) Synergy (opening a can of worms here).  Not a weak point, but to really bring out the best in the He500, pay notice to this as well in choosing an amp and a dac.  A good example is the Lyr and Bifrost combo.  From my understanding, synergy would be system matching.  Almost like putting a puzzle together where you are noticing the weak points of one area and using components which will help address these issues.  

 

I couldn't play the triangle if my life depended on it but I can now understand some of the terms that get thrown around forums.  This is part of the journey.  But it doesn't have to be long and expensive journey.  Many have already gone down the many paths that lead to this so called Nirvana.  Searching the forums will yield most of the answers.  

 

My goal was to spend the extra initially and get it right the first time instead of suffering from upgraditis all the time. My setup is sourced from the Macbook to a MDAC to the LF339 (5998 & 5693 tubes).  Is it the best and most expensive? I don't think it's the most expensive and maybe not even the best, but it comes close (for the he500).  I could improve it further with a Violectric V200 and a Metrum Hex/Octave or M51 running from an equally expensive USB/Spdif converter.  I think any upgrades now would mean spending large sums of money for little gains.  Worth it? For me the answer is no, for some yes.  I guess in a way it all comes down to what sound you are after and what are you willing to pay. 

post #4866 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrails View Post

Last night, I spend about 4 hours listening to my music.  It was an absolute joy, even some 256k mp3s were sounding gorgeous.  It is exactly the sound I have been waiting for.  Very natural, airy, large soundstage and good bass. Decent impact, just the right amount to feel it yet not bloating out the other parts of the music, tight and hitting low. Imaging was excellent.  Needless to say, Dire Straits, Nina Simone, Joss Stone... had all come to the house.  The highlight was the feeling in the music.  It was that analogue sound and it was clear. It was like directly listening to the recording and nothing in between. I have never heard vinyl but I am guessing this is what the hype is about in vinyl (IMO).  I can honestly and finally say it was Nirvana.  So from now on, its download more music, sit back and teleport myself into another world.  

 

I thought I would write a few words as I am sure we all notice the same issues arising every few pages on the He500 thread. For the guys/girls looking to buy new headphones or specifically the He500.  It's a fantastic headphone and worth the purchase.  I am sure you have already read many raving reviews but it has some minor weak points.  Bear in mind, these are the issues I decided to improve on it to really makes these headphones sing.

 

1) Soundstage, is a little narrower compared to the AKG K7xx line.  I think this is a weak point with most planars.   I almost thought of selling my He500 for a pair of K702 65th annies/Q701.  

 

2) Bass, believe it or not.  The bass only goes low and hits well with good amping. If you're planning on running an He500 with an O2, this is  the first thing you will notice (If you're happy with the sound from an O2/E9 with the He500, so be it ).

 

3) Yes, they need good amping, doesn't have to be expensive.  A good second hand speaker amp with banana cables will work fantastic.  I went down the tube lane.  Stuff like Schiit Lyr, SA-31, DK337/LF339, Bottlehead, V200 work well with these phones.  The trade section of this forum always has some really good deals going on. 

 

4) You can't buy the He500 and play 128k mp3s.  Improve the quality of your music.  FLAC files/320k mp3s. Crap goes in, crap comes out.

 

5) The headphones is part of the equation.  Yes, I get music out of the He500 even when I connect them directly to my mac (the above issues do glare at me in the face when I do this).  But to make them sing, Source + amp + headphones = EARGASM.

 

6) Synergy (opening a can of worms here).  Not a weak point, but to really bring out the best in the He500, pay notice to this as well in choosing an amp and a dac.  A good example is the Lyr and Bifrost combo.  From my understanding, synergy would be system matching.  Almost like putting a puzzle together where you are noticing the weak points of one area and using components which will help address these issues.  

 

I couldn't play the triangle if my life depended on it but I can now understand some of the terms that get thrown around forums.  This is part of the journey.  But it doesn't have to be long and expensive journey.  Many have already gone down the many paths that lead to this so called Nirvana.  Searching the forums will yield most of the answers.  

 

My goal was to spend the extra initially and get it right the first time instead of suffering from upgraditis all the time. My setup is sourced from the Macbook to a MDAC to the LF339 (5998 & 5693 tubes).  Is it the best and most expensive? I don't think it's the most expensive and maybe not even the best, but it comes close (for the he500).  I could improve it further with a Violectric V200 and a Metrum Hex/Octave or M51 running from an equally expensive USB/Spdif converter.  I think any upgrades now would mean spending large sums of money for little gains.  Worth it? For me the answer is no, for some yes.  I guess in a way it all comes down to what sound you are after and what are you willing to pay. 


Very well said. Thank you!

beerchug.gif

post #4867 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrails View Post

Last night, I spend about 4 hours listening to my music.  It was an absolute joy, even some 256k mp3s were sounding gorgeous.  It is exactly the sound I have been waiting for.  Very natural, airy, large soundstage and good bass. Decent impact, just the right amount to feel it yet not bloating out the other parts of the music, tight and hitting low. Imaging was excellent.  Needless to say, Dire Straits, Nina Simone, Joss Stone... had all come to the house.  The highlight was the feeling in the music.  It was that analogue sound and it was clear. It was like directly listening to the recording and nothing in between. I have never heard vinyl but I am guessing this is what the hype is about in vinyl (IMO).  I can honestly and finally say it was Nirvana.  So from now on, its download more music, sit back and teleport myself into another world.  

I thought I would write a few words as I am sure we all notice the same issues arising every few pages on the He500 thread. For the guys/girls looking to buy new headphones or specifically the He500.  It's a fantastic headphone and worth the purchase.  I am sure you have already read many raving reviews but it has some minor weak points.  Bear in mind, these are the issues I decided to improve on it to really makes these headphones sing.

1) Soundstage, is a little narrower compared to the AKG K7xx line.  I think this is a weak point with most planars.   I almost thought of selling my He500 for a pair of K702 65th annies/Q701.  

2) Bass, believe it or not.  The bass only goes low and hits well with good amping. If you're planning on running an He500 with an O2, this is  the first thing you will notice (If you're happy with the sound from an O2/E9 with the He500, so be it ).

3) Yes, they need good amping, doesn't have to be expensive.  A good second hand speaker amp with banana cables will work fantastic.  I went down the tube lane.  Stuff like Schiit Lyr, SA-31, DK337/LF339, Bottlehead, V200 work well with these phones.  The trade section of this forum always has some really good deals going on. 

4) You can't buy the He500 and play 128k mp3s.  Improve the quality of your music.  FLAC files/320k mp3s. Crap goes in, crap comes out.

5) The headphones is part of the equation.  Yes, I get music out of the He500 even when I connect them directly to my mac (the above issues do glare at me in the face when I do this).  But to make them sing, Source + amp + headphones = EARGASM.

6) Synergy (opening a can of worms here).  Not a weak point, but to really bring out the best in the He500, pay notice to this as well in choosing an amp and a dac.  A good example is the Lyr and Bifrost combo.  From my understanding, synergy would be system matching.  Almost like putting a puzzle together where you are noticing the weak points of one area and using components which will help address these issues.  

I couldn't play the triangle if my life depended on it but I can now understand some of the terms that get thrown around forums.  This is part of the journey.  But it doesn't have to be long and expensive journey.  Many have already gone down the many paths that lead to this so called Nirvana.  Searching the forums will yield most of the answers.  

My goal was to spend the extra initially and get it right the first time instead of suffering from upgraditis all the time. My setup is sourced from the Macbook to a MDAC to the LF339 (5998 & 5693 tubes).  Is it the best and most expensive? I don't think it's the most expensive and maybe not even the best, but it comes close (for the he500).  I could improve it further with a Violectric V200 and a Metrum Hex/Octave or M51 running from an equally expensive USB/Spdif converter.  I think any upgrades now would mean spending large sums of money for little gains.  Worth it? For me the answer is no, for some yes.  I guess in a way it all comes down to what sound you are after and what are you willing to pay. 

Wow..good writing..exactly what i try to explain also..but did u u try the tungsols meshplates also instead of the rca 5693 reds? It will make the soundstage a bit bigger and a bit more airy on ur 337/339...just a tip..i also have the 5693..

And did u know the new metrum octave mk2 now has usb input in..so no need for an 'expensive' spdif converter anymore.
But ur right..to get good results u dont need to spend huge..but u do have to spend something..whether secondhand or new..just until u get it right..

Once again..Well written
Edited by hifimanrookie - 5/12/13 at 4:27am
post #4868 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

Wow..good writing..exactly what i try to explain also..but did u u try the tungsols meshplates also instead of the rca 5693 reds? It will make the soundstage a bit bigger and a bit more airy on ur 337/339...just a tip..i also have the 5693..

And did u know the new metrum octave mk2 now has usb input in..so no need for an 'expensive' spdif converter anymore.
But ur right..to get good results u dont need to spend huge..but u do have to spend something..whether secondhand or new..just until u get it right..

Once again..Well written

Don't buy in the hype of expensive transport. Get an used Octave (or new Octave Mk1) + a humble Kingrex UC192. Later on you can slice the 5V on the USB and feed the converter with a good PSU (Kingrex/Paul Hynes/MCRU).

 

Yes I've been there. The Ap1 is a slight improvement, not 900 pounds improvement. To be honest, you feed most dacs with Ap1/Diverter/OR5/BADA and they'll improve. Doesn't mean you  need to blow 2k on minor improvement while you can get a better dac with the money.

 

 

1000

post #4869 of 18018

I was able to compare the HE500s on the O2/ODAC to the ASUS Essence One.  The Essence One made quite a big difference on the sound.  I couldn't tell the difference with my HE400, AKG K702 65th Annies, AudioTechnica W1000X, but the HE500s were definitely better on the Essence One.  I was hoping that I wouldn't be able to hear a difference because now I'm going to have to sell my O2.

 

Any suggestions on amps for the HE500?  I'm really intrigued by the Emotiva Mini-X A-100.

post #4870 of 18018

Im convinced the Meier Corda Classic is the best amp on the market for under $1000. @ $699 (au) it is a real bargin. 

 

Likewise, The MDAC is the best dac under $2000 imo, and its priced at $900 (au) 

 

By the way, The MDAC has a built in headphone amp that actually does alright too :)

post #4871 of 18018

I'll second Flognuts on the Corda Classic, absolutely phenomenal amp

post #4872 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flognuts View Post

Im convinced the Meier Corda Classic is the best amp on the market for under $1000. @ $699 (au) it is a real bargin. 

 

Likewise, The MDAC is the best dac under $2000 imo, and its priced at $900 (au) 

 

By the way, The MDAC has a built in headphone amp that actually does alright too :)

 

Hum... I highly doubt it ;)

post #4873 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limniscate View Post

I was able to compare the HE500s on the O2/ODAC to the ASUS Essence One.  The Essence One made quite a big difference on the sound.  I couldn't tell the difference with my HE400, AKG K702 65th Annies, AudioTechnica W1000X, but the HE500s were definitely better on the Essence One.  I was hoping that I wouldn't be able to hear a difference because now I'm going to have to sell my O2.

Any suggestions on amps for the HE500?  I'm really intrigued by the Emotiva Mini-X A-100.
Check the suggestions contrails mentions in his long post a few posts back...the names he mentioned are perfect for the he500 and affordable.
post #4874 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

Hum... I highly doubt it wink.gif
biggrin.gif
post #4875 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

 

Hum... I highly doubt it ;)

What would you rate higher?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .