or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 311

post #4651 of 18030
I prefer he-500 over lcd-2 for most electronic
post #4652 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

I'd have to disagree with Jerg and recommend you get something mroe powerful than the E17. My Meier Quickstep with 15v PSU couldn't drive the HE 500's properly. When I heard them on my NFB 10 they came to life.

Hey like I said, it's a temporary solution driving my 500s with E17, due to personal reasons. I even described how much of the SQ was missing. There is nothing to disagree with rolleyes.gif

post #4653 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Hey like I said, it's a temporary solution driving my 500s with E17, due to personal reasons. I even described how much of the SQ was missing. There is nothing to disagree with rolleyes.gif

Well I think I could live with 25% reduction in sound quality if it saves me $300-500 bucks lol.

post #4654 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post

Well I think I could live with 25% reduction in sound quality if it saves me $300-500 bucks lol.

I wouldn't; not in the long run anyway. spending $300~500 to boost 25% SQ of a $700 headphone is a pretty good deal, especially when you consider that diminishing returns tend to hit hard in price ranges that high.

 

Although a better deal yet is to spend sub-$100 and perhaps some elbow grease, and potentially boost the SQ by just as much. There's a good reason why earpad rolling / modding is big around here.


Edited by jerg - 5/1/13 at 10:40pm
post #4655 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

Yeah, if the LCD's had the HE 500's treble it'd be the perfect headphone for me.

So, more or less the LCD3.

post #4656 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

I wouldn't; not in the long run anyway. spending $300~500 to boost 25% SQ of a $700 headphone is a pretty good deal, especially when you consider that diminishing returns tend to hit hard in price ranges that high.

 

Although a better deal yet is to spend sub-$100 and perhaps some elbow grease, and potentially boost the SQ by just as much. There's a good reason why earpad rolling / modding is big around here.

 

+1 on that smily_headphones1.gif

post #4657 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

Yeah, if the LCD's had the HE 500's treble it'd be the perfect headphone for me.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomeplay View Post

So, more or less the LCD3.

 

 

Yup  - That would be the LCD-3s biggrin.gif

post #4658 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

I prefer he-500 over lcd-2 for most electronic

 

Hehehe I just remembered something from quite some time ago. Read the last line of your post: post #37 biggrin.gif

 

Aren't you glad now?beerchug.gif

post #4659 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Sometimes I feel as though HE500s are TOO smooth in the treble, enough that it loses a bit of the micro-details that more treble-aggressive cans like HE6 / HD800 / T1 tend to reveal in spades.

 

Go for the 5LEs then ;)

You'd loose the mid-bass and upper-mid bump, a good deal of the bloominess (in the bass mainly), and some lushness.

 

They feel much lighter too...

post #4660 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Hehehe I just remembered something from quite some time ago. Read the last line of your post: post #37 biggrin.gif

 

Aren't you glad now?beerchug.gif

 

l0l

 

beerchug.gif

post #4661 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post


I doubt they would cos the he 400s bass is cleaner and more detailed. Its much more present and impactful and overall better in my opinion. The he 500's bass is wooly and lacks impact.

 

I respectfully disagree with that ;)

To me they were very similar in impact (on the SA-31).

 

Presence is another call though: the HE-400 come with only half a mid-range (ph34r.gif) and, as a result, are more heavy sounding. Just low-pass filter the 500s @ 1kHz and you'd get the 400s midrange :D

 

The 500s have bloom in the bass when the 400s are clean. The vocal-on-tube lovers probably would prefer the 500s for that particular reason.

post #4662 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

 

I respectfully disagree with that ;)

To me they were very similar in impact (on the SA-31).

 

Presence is another call though: the HE-400 come with only half a mid-range (ph34r.gif) and, as a result, are more heavy sounding. Just low-pass filter the 500s @ 1kHz and you'd get the 400s midrange :D

 

The 500s have bloom in the bass when the 400s are clean. The vocal-on-tube lovers probably would prefer the 500s for that particular reason.

Yep, that's the politically correct way to put it. The other way to describe it would be 500s are a tad more wooly while 400s are more tactile/tight. Both types of bass response are enjoyable to my ears though, in their own right.

 

500's bass bloom gives it a much nicer rumble and gooey organic feel, while 400's TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT bass just gives off a sense of power and precision.

post #4663 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Yep, that's the politically correct way to put it. The other way to describe it would be 500s are a tad more wooly while 400s are more tactile/tight. Both types of bass response are enjoyable to my ears though, in their own right.

 

500's bass bloom gives it a much nicer rumble and gooey organic feel, while 400's TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT bass just gives off a sense of power and precision.

 

Hell yeah!

post #4664 of 18030

if only it went just a little lower down in the sub-bass it'd be perfect IMO.

post #4665 of 18030

That's left for the 2014 successor. tongue_smile.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .