or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 299

post #4471 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

Just to make sure u have lots of alternatives to choose from..try the darkvoice (which is actually lafigaro) 339 thread..they talk a lot about pairing well with the he500 wink.gif

 

...or one alternative to rule them all!

 


M-13, you have 3 options:

1. O2 which is able to power ALL headphones.
2. Schiit Modi which is WAY better than the O2.
3. LaFigaro 337 with the RIGHT tubes.

post #4472 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

If you dig around the forum, you'll also find opinions of someone pairing the He-500 with the Musical Paradise 302 (El34 PP speaker/hp amp), compared to another headphone amp which I fogot. There's also purrin's setup with a Mjonir driving a Crest CA2 speaker amp driving the He500 also wink_face.gif.

 

I'd love to get a listen to the MP 302. It costs quite a bit for me to "go on a limb" for it though. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda View Post

 

...or one alternative to rule them all!

 


M-13, you have 3 options:

1. O2 which is able to power ALL headphones.
2. Schiit Modi which is WAY better than the O2.
3. LaFigaro 337 with the RIGHT tubes.

 

I think you mean Magni. The Schiit magni is really close in terms of SQ to the O2.

post #4473 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda View Post

...or one alternative to rule them all!



M-13, you have 3 options:


1. O2 which is able to power ALL headphones.

2. Schiit Modi which is WAY better than the O2.

3. LaFigaro 337 with the RIGHT tubes.

One little correction: its lafigaro 339 and his sis darkvoice 337..yep..with the right tubes..so be prepared to invest in them biggrin.gif
post #4474 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

I'd love to get a listen to the MP 302. It costs quite a bit for me to "go on a limb" for it though. 

 

 

I think you mean Magni. The Schiit magni is really close in terms of SQ to the O2.

Canada shipping is meh. Cost a limb to ship anywhere outside NA biggrin.gif.

 

The 302 while being good priced is nothing special though; EL34/KT88 PP amplifier is like ... everywhere. I don't think it'll be better than your "big" dot 6.

post #4475 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

Thanks Preproman.

 

I've already read MalVeauX opinions already. Otherwise, I wouldn't have even considered it. I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread. I guess I'll just go ahead and do that...

 

What's your personal experience with the Emotiva? Or is that on the thread as well?

 

 

All in that thread.  It's a lot of info in there..

post #4476 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

Canada shipping is meh. Cost a limb to ship anywhere outside NA biggrin.gif.

 

The 302 while being good priced is nothing special though; EL34/KT88 PP amplifier is like ... everywhere. I don't think it'll be better than your "big" dot 6.

 

Hadn't updated my profile in awhile, but I actually sold that MKVI some time ago. Some of the reasons I sold that amp are the same reasons I'm worried about buying another expensive tube amplifier. :/ 

 

Good point though, maybe I'll stop looking for that unit. 

post #4477 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

Hadn't updated my profile in awhile, but I actually sold that MKVI some time ago. Some of the reasons I sold that amp are the same reasons I'm worried about buying another expensive tube amplifier. :/ 

 

Good point though, maybe I'll stop looking for that unit. 

Seeing you live in the US, maybe look around for someone with a souped up Dynaco St70 - very popular and easy to move if you don't like the sound. The thing with most El34/KT88 PP stuff is that the circuit is actually very basic; it's the part choice (and quality) that matters. If you're going to try PP amp, it's better to find something higher up the ladder like an used Audio Note OTO PP.

post #4478 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

Seeing you live in the US, maybe look around for someone with a souped up Dynaco St70 - very popular and easy to move if you don't like the sound. The thing with most El34/KT88 PP stuff is that the circuit is actually very basic; it's the part choice (and quality) that matters. If you're going to try PP amp, it's better to find something higher up the ladder like an used Audio Note OTO PP.

 

Interesting. I've ran over those a few times, and certainly thought about it. But I think I'm more or less done with tubes in my audio pursuit. 

post #4479 of 18029

I purchased another HE-500. I hope the 4th time is the charm. wink_face.gif

post #4480 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

I purchased another HE-500. I hope the 4th time is the charm. wink_face.gif

And I thought I was nuts (owned the Hd600 3 times rolleyes.gif). How did you end up selling them thrice?

post #4481 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

I purchased another HE-500. I hope the 4th time is the charm. wink_face.gif

You got some serious MadLustEnvy Syndrome going on there, buddy.

post #4482 of 18029

Well this time I'll be powering them through an Emotiva Mini-X. Always wanted to try speaker taps, but couldn't find anything that was "suitable"

 

I looked at a lot of vintage Marantz, etc.

 

I'll also be getting the Concero as the Dac, and hopefully I can call it my "end game" until the HE-600 comes out, or I cave and buy the HE-6.

 

As for why I sold them. It was all about upgradetitus, and other hobbies got in the way of funding of course. (Watches, DSLRs, gaming laptops, strippers, etc)

 

Just remembered... I did have problems with the build quality the first 2 times around. Back then the HE-500 was kind of different and so were the pads, no pleather and the velours were softer but made of uneven material. Then the velours were harder and made of rough material, before the current version we have now (I think). I did finally get a version I liked almost a year later and kept them almost a year, which was the last time I owned them.


Edited by M-13 - 4/17/13 at 6:10pm
post #4483 of 18029
Does the HE-500 very verstile in it's price range? Yes, but compare it to it's brother the HE-6? No. I really love the HE-500, but on the otherhand I've got to admit that the HE-6 is better
post #4484 of 18029
I have the LCD3 and think they are better than the HE500 but I can't seem to part with them. I think I have to try the HE6 off speaker taps then the 500's will go.
post #4485 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

And I thought I was nuts (owned the Hd600 3 times rolleyes.gif). How did you end up selling them thrice?

I had the HD650s twice as well, and also the LCD-2 twice. beerchug.gif Cheers, and MadLustEnvy Syndrome

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .