Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 286

post #4276 of 14532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Any amps under say $200-$500 (tubes, solid state, hybrid or whatever) that go well with HD800. Are these hard to drive in general?

 

crack, WA3, Asgard 2, those are just a few off the top of my head that would do great with hd 800.

 

umm they're not hard to drive, but they're hard to get a good setup for. they can sound analytical, bright, bass light, or bland with the wrong setup. ive noticed u really do need a transparent source and a great amp to get them to really shine.

 

they're starting to even outperform my Beyer T1 with the right setup, the Hd 800 really are my best headphones.

post #4277 of 14532

hd800 are known to measure up better and better with incrementally better setups... too bad i cannot afford those or otherwise i would have gotten the hd800... a bottlehead crack might be the cheapest way to get them to perform close to their best...

post #4278 of 14532
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4mm3r 0f th0r View Post

hd800 are known to measure up better and better with incrementally better setups... too bad i cannot afford those or otherwise i would have gotten the hd800... a bottlehead crack might be the cheapest way to get them to perform close to their best...

 

yes but they scale much more. 

post #4279 of 14532
Would the HD700 or HD800 compliments the HE500 nicely?
post #4280 of 14532
Quote:
Originally Posted by snip3r77 View Post

Would the HD700 or HD800 compliments the HE500 nicely?

 

No, the 500s are too big to put the HD800 over them and take advantage of the dual driver benefits...

ph34r.gif

post #4281 of 14532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

No, the 500s are too big to put the HD800 over them and take advantage of the dual driver benefits...
ph34r.gif
Does anyone remember the guy who was using HD650 atop HD800 and claimed to be getting amazing sound from using them both together?
post #4282 of 14532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

You can't EQ to compensate for the decay portion of CSDs lol, just the FR portion. Then again for something that decays extremely uniformly and cleanly (e.g. HE500 or HD800) without any ringing ridges the two are equivalent for EQ purposes.

 

From personal EQ experience though, I can say EQing out a perfectly flat EQ makes the sound boring as hell; on a micro-scale (e.g. correcting peaks and valleys) EQ can be extremely potent, but on a macro scale (bass-midrange balance, etc) it really comes down to subjective to-ear preference more than anything.


Actually, you can if you know the CSD/ frequency response of your microphone too. I have seen it done in a thread some time ago. I don't know if it only works with pure sine tones, though.

But I don't know much about it. I do know that it should be possible to eq in the time domain too.

post #4283 of 14532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Hmmm, I'll keep that in mind for later. Goes for around $700. Know any other amps, maybe cheaper that work well. Also I'm guessing that speaker amps like Emotiva is probably a no go?

 

What goes for around $700?  Just in case.  Not the GS-Xmk2..  It's now 3K if I'm not mistaken..  The amp I have for sale is a good neutral balanced amp and works very well with the HD800 - It also has the pwoer to drive them as well.


Edited by preproman - 4/12/13 at 5:53am
post #4284 of 14532
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

What goes for around $700?  Just in case.  Not the GS-Xmk2..  It's now 3K if I'm not mistaken..  The amp I have for sale is a good neutral balanced amp and wors very well with the HD800 - It also has the pwoer to drive them as well.

 

Yea, just realized...on this website, it lists it for "1/4 Deposit $695" http://www.headamp.com/order/index.htm

 

I read it as the option for having 1/4 termination jack vs. balanced. Yea, $3000 for an amp, not anytime soon.

post #4285 of 14532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

crack, WA3, Asgard 2, those are just a few off the top of my head that would do great with hd 800.

 

umm they're not hard to drive, but they're hard to get a good setup for. they can sound analytical, bright, bass light, or bland with the wrong setup. ive noticed u really do need a transparent source and a great amp to get them to really shine.

 

they're starting to even outperform my Beyer T1 with the right setup, the Hd 800 really are my best headphones.

 

Seems like I need to spend at least $500 on an amp for the HD 800s. I guess I'll take my time and save up for a good HD800 rig. Good thing I have the planars to keep me busy in the meantime. On top I'm guessing, I'll probably need after market cables as well for them, or is the stock cable good on these?

post #4286 of 14532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

Any amps under say $200-$500 (tubes, solid state, hybrid or whatever) that go well with HD800. Are these hard to drive in general?

I have a burson HA-160D I'm selling soon for $670+fees(shipping included)
Worked really well with the HE-500 I paired with but it's too expensive so I returned it.
Edited by Tinola - 4/12/13 at 9:39am
post #4287 of 14532

I had to check the title of this thread to make sure I wasn't in a Sennheiser thread.  haha..

 

That being said, recently became an owner of the HE-500's.  Liked them out of the Aune T1.  Liked them a little bit more out of the Objective O2 + ODAC.  Now I'm looking to get the "full potential" out of them.  The ODAC is a pretty fine DAC, I feel like, and all I would need is to get a better amp than the O2, something that'll feed the HE-500's their 1-2 watts of power they need.  Under $1k, keep it reasonable

 

If you're interested, I've got a thread with a list of amps in consideration, and I need it populated with more info.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/658998/hifiman-he-500-amp-dac-roundup-looking-for-all-choice-pairings-in-the-sub-1000-market

post #4288 of 14532

Anyone noticed how the HE 500 changes tone with temperature? This may be true for planars in general. I use my HE 500 as a portable when I travel for hotel use. Very relaxing after a hard day. I left it in a hot rental car unintentionally and boy did it sound muddy!

Even after cooling off it took several weeks to sound normal. Maybe it was just me. So recently I did the same thing and left it in a cold car. Sounded better than ever! Stupid thing to do for sure, an expensive headphone to risk damage due to temperature extremes.

But it is a difficult thing to do, go on a trip with a lesser can when the 500 becons with such sweet sounds!

post #4289 of 14532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Seems like I need to spend at least $500 on an amp for the HD 800s. I guess I'll take my time and save up for a good HD800 rig. Good thing I have the planars to keep me busy in the meantime. On top I'm guessing, I'll probably need after market cables as well for them, or is the stock cable good on these?

 

yeah, probably more though, minimum i would get would be a crack with good tubes or a WA3/WA6 with premium tubes as well. for SS, minimum imo would be a V200 or a soloist or something like that.

 

stock cable is good enough for me, its 12 ft long and of high quality with zero microphonics (way better than stock planar cables, the hifiman one is absolute crap and the audeze one just feels/looks really cheap), i only upgraded mine cause i broke my stock cable and needed a replacement.

post #4290 of 14532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

 the hifiman one is absolute crap and the audeze one just feels/looks really cheap), i only upgraded mine cause i broke my stock cable and needed a replacement.

I really hope that will happen to my cable too :P

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .