or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 283

post #4231 of 16677

On a side note, I have also been looking for a decent open headphone that's easy to drive like suppose from laptop jack or even something like E10. It'd be nice to have an open sound for bed time without having to lug around amps and dacs's or speaker amps. Any suggestions?

post #4232 of 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

On a side note, I have also been looking for a decent open headphone that's easy to drive like suppose from laptop jack or even something like E10. It'd be nice to have an open sound for bed time without having to lug around amps and dacs's or speaker amps. Any suggestions?

Aren't the LCD 2's relatively easy to drive?

post #4233 of 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterphile View Post

Yeah I had a look at some pics of the inside when I was looking at buying it. I understand why it is so large, it just means I have to make another shelf for my desk as the current one isn't deep enough :)

 

Ahh, the first of many additional storage areas. I've got one of these that sits on a whole separate desk next to me. 

 

post #4234 of 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

Ahh, the first of many additional storage areas. I've got one of these that sits on a whole separate desk next to me. 

 

I can see myself needing a dedicated desk for headphone equipment soon... I've already got my eye on some more gear to purchase!

post #4235 of 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterphile View Post

I can see myself needing a dedicated desk for headphone equipment soon... I've already got my eye on some more gear to purchase!

So you really are going to sell your car? wink_face.gif

post #4236 of 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

Aren't the LCD 2's relatively easy to drive?

 

Good question....LOL I actually never bothered to try them from a headphone jack off a Macbook Pro or IMac. I'll give it a try tonight for experimental's sake.  

 

Although I expect it to fare quite badly, since even from the O2, the LCD-2s sound bad.

post #4237 of 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Good question....LOL I actually never bothered to try them from a headphone jack off a Macbook Pro or IMac. I'll give it a try tonight for experimental's sake.  

 

Although I expect it to fare quite badly, since even from the O2, the LCD-2s sound bad.

I would have thought the O2 could drive them ok, albeit not as well as a desktop amp.

post #4238 of 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

So you really are going to sell your car? wink_face.gif

 

Haha. The decision is weighing heavily on me at the moment.

post #4239 of 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

I most probably will be at the May 4th meet. I'll be sure to try out the HD700 then. I know in the future I'll be getting a HD800 when I get the funds for it. Right now I was just looking for a casual sidegrade kind of thing and perhaps even picking up some used HD650 or HD600. I'm in no hurry at all to buy anything as I am enjoying the LCD-2s a lot. I might also consider going to Bay Bloor Radio to try them out at some point, although my motivation is quite low while listening to LCD-2s. I guess I'll just wait and try out some stuff at the meet.

 

 

Good to know about the similarities between HD650 and LCD-2. If the HD650 is basically the same sound signature but just lower in every parameter, then probably not worth it. Regarding the HE-6 and LCD-3, I think If I was going to update one, it'd be my HE-500 to the HE-6. I have more qualms with the HE-500 than LCD-2 at the moment. Or might even get a HD800 rather than updating to HE-6 or LCD-3, for the sake of having more variety.  

 

check out the HD 800, its quite different from either planar, and better in some ways. the HD 650 is smoother than the LCD-2, more warmth, and the HD 650 can seem spacious even though its narrow, but its about the same as the LCD-2 in this regard, everything else the LCD-2 is much better. more detail, more refinement, more transparency, much better bass, more accurate midrange, slightly better treble. sound signature is basically the same IMO. 

 

im enjoying my HE-500, but i still find myself listening to T1/HD800 more, with LCD-2 there sometimes. its really hard to find something better once the T1 or Hd 800 begin to grow on you. 


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 4/10/13 at 8:49pm
post #4240 of 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

I would have thought the O2 could drive them ok, albeit not as well as a desktop amp.

 

No, they flat out sounded bad for a week. Although there was this one day where the O2 decided to be a good boy and give me some decent bass. After that one day, the O2 never made the LCD-2 to be enjoyable. I used the O2 for quite some time before with HE-500, that was a pretty decent pairing. Although the LCD-2 with O2 is quite a bad pairing.

post #4241 of 16677
Anyone wants the Burson HA-160D for cheap? I think I'm going to sell mine. Sounds great with the HE-500 but the HE-500 sound signature is not to my liking. Returned the HE-500 and now I'm back to square one.
post #4242 of 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

check out the HD 800, its quite different from either planar, and better in some ways. the HD 650 is smoother than the LCD-2, more warmth, and the HD 650 can seem spacious even though its narrow, but its about the same as the LCD-2 in this regard, everything else the LCD-2 is much better. more detail, more refinement, more transparency, much better bass, more accurate midrange, slightly better treble. sound signature is basically the same IMO. 

 

im enjoying my HE-500, but i still find myself listening to T1/HD800 more, with LCD-2 there sometimes. its really hard to find something better once the T1 or especially the Hd 800 begin to grow on you. 

 

Yea I know that feeling. The LCD-2 has been growing more with me. I haven't even touched the HE-500 in a month. HD800 is definitely on my future list. Do you have the newer HD800 or the older HD800? I remember reading on some thread that the new HD800 have more/better bass apparently.

post #4243 of 16677

theres no difference. if anything but the new one to be safe, but to me, all hd 800s sound the same. mine is in the 8000s and sounds the same as the older (3000s), or the newer 13-20k... 

 

the HD 800 is a very good headphone, different from either hifiman or audeze, and when properly amped, you can forget everything negative you've ever heard about the HD 800, its simply not true. (artificial soundstage, analytical, bass-less, thin and bright, lifeless, etc). it complements the LCD-2 very well and i havent listened to the HE-500 much since i still find the HD 800 and T1 to be the better headphones. 


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 4/10/13 at 8:54pm
post #4244 of 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

Hey Zoom.. I see you're in Toronto.  I found the HE500 to be a super HD650 and I really never liked the HD600..........

 

Really amusing ..... I found the HE500 to be a super HD600 and I never really liked the HD650 ......

post #4245 of 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post

 

Really amusing ..... I found the HE500 to be a super HD600 and I never really liked the HD650 ......

 



yeah... it is more like the hd600 than an hd650 which would resemble lcd2 more...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .