I need more width than height
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's? Last post on 10/20/13 at 6:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 279
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4172 of 141904/8/13 at 2:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sanlitun
I am running my HE-500's with an Asgard 2 and I am not really feeling it. It sounds good, but I don't feel it allows the HE-500's to use their full potential.
I am considering replacing the A2 and recently I have heard the HE-500's through the Burson Conductor, the Teac HA501/UD501 and the Schiit Lyr with stock tubes.
There were two surprises with this, the first was that I didn't think the Conductor was fundamentally better than the A2 with the HE-500s (Gasp!). The second surprise was that I thought the Lyr sounded best by some margin out of all of the equipment I had heard with these phones so far. The Lyr seemed to be able to bring soundstage, high end and treble to the HE-500's. I am sure there are other Amps that sound great as well but I have not been able to audition them. As well I should mention the A2 sounds great with my HD650s, but I just don't think it has the juice for the HE-500s.
Anyways if I could redo it I would have ordered the Lyr.
yeah i was not a big fan of the asgard 1 with the he-500, it's a little flat sounding to my ears. I even prefered my little dot MKII over the asgard even though it was sacrificing a little bit of clarity for dynamics and warmth(probably a little too much warmth but it has nice character). The lyr is a reasonable amp for its price point. It definitely meets the needs of the HE-500, I would still rather go with the bottlehead s.e.x. over the lyr tho. I just find the lyr to be... idk. It's fine I just dont prefer its qualities I guess. I can't say that I feel it's not worth the money. It's a reasonable competitor. Maybe I'm a bigger fan of their DAC gear for the price compared to their amps. Or their DAC gear intrigues me more compared to their amplifier design, which seems to come from a different approach.post #4173 of 141904/8/13 at 3:04pmpost #4174 of 141904/8/13 at 4:04pmpost #4176 of 141904/8/13 at 4:13pmpost #4177 of 141904/8/13 at 5:20pm
Most of the time, I'll take a 3D soundstage over a long and wide 2D stage. Although at times, I'll admit it's nice to have a wide soundstagepost #4178 of 141904/8/13 at 7:19pm
The mids on these are phenominal.
When I purchased these I got home and opened them, removed them from the carry case, and then plugged them in and my amp had a hard time running them, I had the gain on and switched it to about 2 o'clock, I thought fuk me that's odd, I have a pretty powerful amp and they are still struggling. I then had a closer look at the headphones and noticed that they had given me the HE-6 by mistake.....in my excitement to get these on to have a listen I didn't even realise my self........anyway long story short, I could have sold them and basically got a free pair of HE-500s but been the nice guy that I am I returned them and happilly swapped them over.post #4179 of 141904/8/13 at 7:23pmpost #4180 of 141904/8/13 at 7:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by Flognuts
The mids on these are phenominal.
When I purchased these I got home and opened them, removed them from the carry case, and then plugged them in and my amp had a hard time running them, I had the gain on and switched it to about 2 o'clock, I thought fuk me that's odd, I have a pretty powerful amp and they are still struggling. I then had a closer look at the headphones and noticed that they had given me the HE-6 by mistake.....in my excitement to get these on to have a listen I didn't even realise my self........anyway long story short, I could have sold them and basically got a free pair of HE-500s but been the nice guy that I am I returned them and happilly swapped them over.
you're the 2nd person that's happened to i believe.
+1post #4181 of 141904/8/13 at 7:51pmpost #4182 of 141904/9/13 at 3:41amQuote:
I owned to combo and it sounded good in balanced. Then I got an ODAC/O2 combo for the office, I sold to NFB-10SE shortly after that.post #4183 of 141904/9/13 at 4:27amQuote:
So you prefer the O2/ODAC? I have an O2 which I'm selling because I was told it wouldn't drive the HE500's properly.
Oh well, I bought the NFB-10SE today. Found one second hand for a good price.post #4184 of 141904/9/13 at 5:18amQuote:
The one who says the O2 can't drive the HE500 state it as a matter of fact instead of saying that they don't like how it sounds. The ODAC/O2 drives HE500 really nicely and give them a great sound in my honest opinion. I don't want to start a debate, but I also want people who reads this thread that there are people (like me) out there who really enjoys the ODAC/O2 and the HE500 together :)
NFB-10SE is good though, you can see what you prefer, more options are always fun! Just remember to try it in balanced mode, it sounds better than the SE output :)post #4185 of 141904/9/13 at 5:28amQuote:
It won't, but why not try it first before you sell it? You can always sell it afterwards if you realize it's not enough. Just don't mis-judge the headphones before trying with a better amp. I mean, you already have the O2 - and the fact that it doesn't drive the HE-500 is, in fact, my opinion (although others are of the same opinion).
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Singolos! pg1644..Doppios! ... 33 seconds ago
- › iPhone cable (with mic) for UE or JH IEM's 44 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Denon ah-d600 review. 1 minute ago
- › Objective o2 + DAC combo 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-06-30 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)