I need more width than height
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's? Last post on 10/20/13 at 6:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is my first Brainwavz earphones, many thanks to Brainwavz for the review sample! When I wrote this review, I have used it for almost 2 weeks, around 2 hours daily. A happy ending...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 279
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4172 of 142464/8/13 at 2:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sanlitun
I am running my HE-500's with an Asgard 2 and I am not really feeling it. It sounds good, but I don't feel it allows the HE-500's to use their full potential.
I am considering replacing the A2 and recently I have heard the HE-500's through the Burson Conductor, the Teac HA501/UD501 and the Schiit Lyr with stock tubes.
There were two surprises with this, the first was that I didn't think the Conductor was fundamentally better than the A2 with the HE-500s (Gasp!). The second surprise was that I thought the Lyr sounded best by some margin out of all of the equipment I had heard with these phones so far. The Lyr seemed to be able to bring soundstage, high end and treble to the HE-500's. I am sure there are other Amps that sound great as well but I have not been able to audition them. As well I should mention the A2 sounds great with my HD650s, but I just don't think it has the juice for the HE-500s.
Anyways if I could redo it I would have ordered the Lyr.
yeah i was not a big fan of the asgard 1 with the he-500, it's a little flat sounding to my ears. I even prefered my little dot MKII over the asgard even though it was sacrificing a little bit of clarity for dynamics and warmth(probably a little too much warmth but it has nice character). The lyr is a reasonable amp for its price point. It definitely meets the needs of the HE-500, I would still rather go with the bottlehead s.e.x. over the lyr tho. I just find the lyr to be... idk. It's fine I just dont prefer its qualities I guess. I can't say that I feel it's not worth the money. It's a reasonable competitor. Maybe I'm a bigger fan of their DAC gear for the price compared to their amps. Or their DAC gear intrigues me more compared to their amplifier design, which seems to come from a different approach.post #4173 of 142464/8/13 at 3:04pmpost #4174 of 142464/8/13 at 4:04pmpost #4176 of 142464/8/13 at 4:13pmpost #4177 of 142464/8/13 at 5:20pm
Most of the time, I'll take a 3D soundstage over a long and wide 2D stage. Although at times, I'll admit it's nice to have a wide soundstagepost #4178 of 142464/8/13 at 7:19pm
The mids on these are phenominal.
When I purchased these I got home and opened them, removed them from the carry case, and then plugged them in and my amp had a hard time running them, I had the gain on and switched it to about 2 o'clock, I thought fuk me that's odd, I have a pretty powerful amp and they are still struggling. I then had a closer look at the headphones and noticed that they had given me the HE-6 by mistake.....in my excitement to get these on to have a listen I didn't even realise my self........anyway long story short, I could have sold them and basically got a free pair of HE-500s but been the nice guy that I am I returned them and happilly swapped them over.post #4179 of 142464/8/13 at 7:23pmpost #4180 of 142464/8/13 at 7:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by Flognuts
The mids on these are phenominal.
When I purchased these I got home and opened them, removed them from the carry case, and then plugged them in and my amp had a hard time running them, I had the gain on and switched it to about 2 o'clock, I thought fuk me that's odd, I have a pretty powerful amp and they are still struggling. I then had a closer look at the headphones and noticed that they had given me the HE-6 by mistake.....in my excitement to get these on to have a listen I didn't even realise my self........anyway long story short, I could have sold them and basically got a free pair of HE-500s but been the nice guy that I am I returned them and happilly swapped them over.
you're the 2nd person that's happened to i believe.
+1post #4181 of 142464/8/13 at 7:51pmpost #4182 of 142464/9/13 at 3:41amQuote:
I owned to combo and it sounded good in balanced. Then I got an ODAC/O2 combo for the office, I sold to NFB-10SE shortly after that.post #4183 of 142464/9/13 at 4:27amQuote:
So you prefer the O2/ODAC? I have an O2 which I'm selling because I was told it wouldn't drive the HE500's properly.
Oh well, I bought the NFB-10SE today. Found one second hand for a good price.post #4184 of 142464/9/13 at 5:18amQuote:
The one who says the O2 can't drive the HE500 state it as a matter of fact instead of saying that they don't like how it sounds. The ODAC/O2 drives HE500 really nicely and give them a great sound in my honest opinion. I don't want to start a debate, but I also want people who reads this thread that there are people (like me) out there who really enjoys the ODAC/O2 and the HE500 together :)
NFB-10SE is good though, you can see what you prefer, more options are always fun! Just remember to try it in balanced mode, it sounds better than the SE output :)post #4185 of 142464/9/13 at 5:28amQuote:
It won't, but why not try it first before you sell it? You can always sell it afterwards if you realize it's not enough. Just don't mis-judge the headphones before trying with a better amp. I mean, you already have the O2 - and the fact that it doesn't drive the HE-500 is, in fact, my opinion (although others are of the same opinion).
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 31 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 47 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 1 minute ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 8 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 9 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio L2 9 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by earfonia
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)