Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 276

post #4126 of 18174
I tried a good copper cable but liked the stock cable on the he500 better more airy better detail
post #4127 of 18174
Hello,

I have been a lurker here in headfi looking at reviews and what not. I am currently looking at a new pair of headphones and I stumbled upon the he-500. I read that it has a great price/performance ratio and it got me really interested.

A little bit of background, i am currently using Westone 4R with my ipod touch 5th -> clas -> continental v3 setup. I love the sound but now i am venturing towards a headphone that would best compliment my iem. I listen mostly to rap, r&b, acoustics, and sometimes classical music.

Do you think the he-500 would be a good step for me as far as headphones go?

Thanks in advance.
post #4128 of 18174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecva View Post

Hello,

I have been a lurker here in headfi looking at reviews and what not. I am currently looking at a new pair of headphones and I stumbled upon the he-500. I read that it has a great price/performance ratio and it got me really interested.

A little bit of background, i am currently using Westone 4R with my ipod touch 5th -> clas -> continental v3 setup. I love the sound but now i am venturing towards a headphone that would best compliment my iem. I listen mostly to rap, r&b, acoustics, and sometimes classical music.

Do you think the he-500 would be a good step for me as far as headphones go?

Thanks in advance.

 

Both HE-500 or LCD-2 would do fine for those genres, depending on your budget and preference. LCD-2 will probably suit you better, although HE-500 will also work quite nicely.

post #4129 of 18174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecva View Post

Hello,

I have been a lurker here in headfi looking at reviews and what not. I am currently looking at a new pair of headphones and I stumbled upon the he-500. I read that it has a great price/performance ratio and it got me really interested.

A little bit of background, i am currently using Westone 4R with my ipod touch 5th -> clas -> continental v3 setup. I love the sound but now i am venturing towards a headphone that would best compliment my iem. I listen mostly to rap, r&b, acoustics, and sometimes classical music.

Do you think the he-500 would be a good step for me as far as headphones go?

Thanks in advance.

 

if you are happy with the what your westone IEM does with those genres, then I think you would be very pleased with the HE-500.

post #4130 of 18174
@zoom25

Thanks for the response, i have been looking at the lcd 2 but unfortunately it is twice the price of the he-500 where i'm from so it is pretty much out of my budget right now. frown.gif

@Llloyd

Yes I do enjoy my choice of music through the westone 4r so I will try out the he-500. :-)

Not sure if you guys have tried he-500 through the continental but do you think it will deliver proper amping to it?

Thanks again.
post #4131 of 18174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecva View Post

@zoom25

Thanks for the response, i have been looking at the lcd 2 but unfortunately it is twice the price of the he-500 where i'm from so it is pretty much out of my budget right now. frown.gif

 

Ya I know what you mean. I initially bought the HE-500 for around half the price of LCD-2 used. Did me well for a long time. Saved up for a few months until I could get the LCD-2s. Additionally, I don't know if you already know this, but Hifiman is quite wonderful in their shipping rates as well as in customs/taxes (they list the value at $20). Audeze on the other hand, being American, will declare the full value lawfully. I picked up my LCD-2s used and saved quite a bit of money (as well burn in time).

post #4132 of 18174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecva View Post

@zoom25

Thanks for the response, i have been looking at the lcd 2 but unfortunately it is twice the price of the he-500 where i'm from so it is pretty much out of my budget right now. frown.gif

@Llloyd

Yes I do enjoy my choice of music through the westone 4r so I will try out the he-500. :-)

Not sure if you guys have tried he-500 through the continental but do you think it will deliver proper amping to it?

Thanks again.

 

I haven't tried the continental but it should provide reasonable amping.  I've used tube amps with similar properties, probably worse than the continental without a problem. The RX3 or whatever might be a better bet if you really want to use your HE-500 out of a portable rig constantly.  I doubt you will be displeased with the continental/500 combo.  Here's something I guess you should consider as a general thing with IEMs vs the HE-500, just a heads up I guess. IEMs usually have very clear instrument seperation and with the HE-500, those lines are more blurred which people say gives it a much more natural sound. Rest assured you can hear everything in great detail, it just takes a little while to get used to. It's not a shocking phone the first time you listen to it.

post #4133 of 18174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llloyd View Post

I haven't tried the continental but it should provide reasonable amping.  I've used tube amps with similar properties, probably worse than the continental without a problem. The RX3 or whatever might be a better bet if you really want to use your HE-500 out of a portable rig constantly.  I doubt you will be displeased with the continental/500 combo.  Here's something I guess you should consider as a general thing with IEMs vs the HE-500, just a heads up I guess. IEMs usually have very clear instrument seperation and with the HE-500, those lines are more blurred which people say gives it a much more natural sound. Rest assured you can hear everything in great detail, it just takes a little while to get used to. It's not a shocking phone the first time you listen to it.

+1 i agree..i had same experience when i changed to big phones from westone's um3x. biggrin.gif
post #4134 of 18174
Got my 500's playing through a Bellari amp with a JJ tube that is connected to an Emotiva dac. Stock cable, stock valour pads. I have been into audio gear for
post #4135 of 18174
Sorry, tablet is acting up. Anyway, these are my first high end cans. I hate to use a cliche but I am hearing some detail in recordings that I know very well that I never heard before. I have hezrd some other highly regarded headphones before but these are just phenomenal.
post #4136 of 18174
Sounds great. Thanks guys! smily_headphones1.gif
post #4137 of 18174
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcanman View Post

Got my 500's playing through a Bellari amp with a JJ tube that is connected to an Emotiva dac. Stock cable, stock valour pads....

 

Which Bellari amp are you using? The first amp I matched up the HE-500 with was a Bellari HA540. Very promising and resolving amp. Have since parted with it. It matched fantastically well with Sennheiser hps though; somewhat wish I still had it for those. Glad you're liking the Hifimans.

post #4138 of 18174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terja View Post

Which Bellari amp are you using? The first amp I matched up the HE-500 with was a Bellari HA540. Very promising and resolving amp. Have since parted with it. It matched fantastically well with Sennheiser hps though; somewhat wish I still had it for those. Glad you're liking the Hifimans.

Yes, it's the 540. I got a JJ tube for it, not sure which model. What are you driving your 500's with now?
post #4139 of 18174

At the risk of getting flamed here, my current go-to amp for the HE-500 is a Kenwood KA-405 integrated amp. It has everything that I have ever wanted or wished the HE-500 could give me. It's absolutely fabulous - I'm listening to that set up right now. (Just a minor caveat - I have the Hifiman hooked up via a 4-pin XLR cable to the amp's speaker posts - I don't use the TRS for it.)

 

The Bellari was really good. I could really sense the promise it had; it just couldn't get over the edge especially when I was ready to groove and somewhat crank up the volume (I tend to listen on the loud side of things anyway). At normal to quiet volumes it was superb. Actually it is a very underrated amp for what it does.
 


Edited by Terja - 4/7/13 at 5:44pm
post #4140 of 18174
Do you think the lyr no tube rolling will be a big upgrade over the asgard 2 with the he500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .