or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 256

post #3826 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post


Maybe you listen at a higher volume than most users of the O2, who are satisfied. Have you tried looking into another power supply as someone suggested? (I don't know anything about that, though)
Volume wasn't the only deficiency
post #3827 of 18011

What source and power supply were you using?

 

An O2 at 2.5 gain gets the HE-500s to play extremely loud, if you have a source that provides 2 Vrms.

 

This is with a JDSLabs O2 and a kit version I built using the ODAC as source.

post #3828 of 18011

I don't think getting them to play loud is the issue.

post #3829 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU View Post

What source and power supply were you using?

An O2 at 2.5 gain gets the HE-500s to play extremely loud, if you have a source that provides 2 Vrms.

This is with a JDSLabs O2 and a kit version I built using the ODAC as source.
I have an HRT MSii+. I think it's 2.25. I was told that this was the source of my clipping on high gain.

Prep roman is right, though. Volume wasn't the only deficiency with the HE-500.
post #3830 of 18011

Here we go again popcorn.gif

post #3831 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post


The O2 does not adequately drive these cans. I feel bad for the people who think it does, and honestly - if you're happy with the HE-500, good on ya. However, if you're dissatisfied with your O2/HE-500 sound, at least try a higher power amp before you ditch them.

You are just wrong.  The math doesn't support you.  My first hand experience doesn't support you.  Maybe there is something wrong with the wall wart you're using.  Have you tried the Magni wall wart with your o2?  If it's 16VAC 500mA like the Schiit site lists I think it should be safe to try.  With 2.25 output you shouldn't need the 6.5x gain setting at all.  2.5x gain should get to hearing damage levels.

post #3832 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post

You are just wrong.  The math doesn't support you.  My first hand experience doesn't support you.  Maybe there is something wrong with the wall wart you're using.  Have you tried the Magni wall wart with your o2?  If it's 16VAC 500mA like the Schiit site lists I think it should be safe to try.  With 2.25 output you shouldn't need the 6.5x gain setting at all.  2.5x gain should get to hearing damage levels.
And yet, 2.5x gain is pitiful, so...

Who listens to music via math?
post #3833 of 18011

I have the HE-500 and an o2 amp.  With a 2v output source.  I don't know what you're doing.  Do you have your source output at max?  Have you tried the other power supply?  Etc.

 

There is either something broken in your chain or you don't know how to set it up.  That's the best I can offer you.


Edited by Shazb0t - 3/19/13 at 6:43am
post #3834 of 18011

My HE-500 is loud enough from a Sansa Clip. lol I assume it's not all about volume - there has to be some power left over to handle the dynamic peaks in music and to tighten up the sound. Although with my Fiio E11 for example, HE-500 already gets unbearably loud at 5 out of 7 with quite a bit of power left to spare...

post #3835 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post

I have the HE-500 and an o2 amp.  With a 2v output source.  I don't know what you're doing.  Do you have your source output at max?  Have you tried the other power supply?  Etc.

There is either something broken in your chain or you don't know how to set it up.  That's the best I can offer you.
There was something broken in the chain, but I fixed it. (Hint: It was the O2.)
post #3836 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post


There was something broken in the chain, but I fixed it. (Hint: It was the O2.)

As I suspected, you're just a troll.  You claim you can't get enough volume at 2.5x gain from a 2.25V source.  That there should tell you something is wrong.  You've already posted the same crap ~25 times in this thread.  Why do I have to read it over and over again every time I check unread posts looking for actual HE-500 discussion?  That alone is ANNOYING.  Making it worse is the fact that you're misinforming people.  Please STOP.

post #3837 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post


The O2 does not adequately drive these cans. I feel bad for the people who think it does, and honestly - if you're happy with the HE-500, good on ya. However, if you're dissatisfied with your O2/HE-500 sound, at least try a higher power amp before you ditch them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post

You are just wrong.  The math doesn't support you.  My first hand experience doesn't support you.  Maybe there is something wrong with the wall wart you're using.  Have you tried the Magni wall wart with your o2?  If it's 16VAC 500mA like the Schiit site lists I think it should be safe to try.  With 2.25 output you shouldn't need the 6.5x gain setting at all.  2.5x gain should get to hearing damage levels.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post


And yet, 2.5x gain is pitiful, so...

Who listens to music via math?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post

I have the HE-500 and an o2 amp.  With a 2v output source.  I don't know what you're doing.  Do you have your source output at max?  Have you tried the other power supply?  Etc.

 

There is either something broken in your chain or you don't know how to set it up.  That's the best I can offer you.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post


There was something broken in the chain, but I fixed it. (Hint: It was the O2.)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post

As I suspected, you're just a troll.  You claim you can't get enough volume at 2.5x gain from a 2.25V source.  That there should tell you something is wrong.  You've already posted the same crap ~25 times in this thread.  Why do I have to read it over and over again every time I check unread posts looking for actual HE-500 discussion?  That alone is ANNOYING.  Making it worse is the fact that you're misinforming people.  Please STOP.

 

You two need to get married to each other, should i bring the flowers then?? tongue.gif

post #3838 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post

As I suspected, you're just a troll.  You claim you can't get enough volume at 2.5x gain from a 2.25V source.  That there should tell you something is wrong.  You've already posted the same crap ~25 times in this thread.  Why do I have to read it over and over again every time I check unread posts looking for actual HE-500 discussion?  That alone is ANNOYING.  Making it worse is the fact that you're misinforming people.  Please STOP.
I'm not the only person who feels this way about the O2. Let me have my opinion and surely you can keep yours. It's possible that nothing is 'wrong' with my set up (except the O2). Note: not everyone who persistently holds a view other than yours is a troll.

If people use the HE-500 with the O2 and like it, then that's awesome. But if they don't, I simply want to point out that they may have better luck with 'anything-other-than-the-O2'.

In my view, it's YOU who are spreading misinformation. Nonetheless, I don't tell you to stop and I don't assume that you're disingenuous. I'd ask that you do the same. I DO NOT LIKE THE O2. It's not a moral decision, it's headphones.
Edited by disastermouse - 3/19/13 at 8:14am
post #3839 of 18011

he500 needs power, a lot more than what the o2 can provide. I bought and sold the o2 in a week just because it was pitiful with the o2 at higher volumes compared to the nfb-11.32 i bought. The thing is that the o2 has many times less powerful than the 11.32 but still sounds a lot louder than it and prone to distortion. Fiio e9 also distorts with the he500 at higher volumes.

post #3840 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4mm3r 0f th0r View Post

he500 needs power, a lot more than what the o2 can provide. I bought and sold the o2 in a week just because it was pitiful with the o2 at higher volumes compared to the nfb-11.32 i bought. The thing is that the o2 has many times less powerful than the 11.32 but still sounds a lot louder than it and prone to distortion. Fiio e9 also distorts with the he500 at higher volumes.
Surely you are a troll, sir. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .