Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 255

post #3811 of 14664
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post


LOL! No, I mean that I wasn't convinced that an amp could really affect a headphone's sound that much.

A neutral amp, no. A colored amp, yes - depending on the coloration

post #3812 of 14664
Quote:
Originally Posted by i019791 View Post

A neutral amp, no. A colored amp, yes - depending on the coloration
What's the color of an amp that increases sound stage?
post #3813 of 14664
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post


What's the color of an amp that increases sound stage?

Sounstage is comparably much more a characteristic of speakers than headphones. If you have acquaintances practicing tube rolling - tweaks in speakers systems, you could easily dedect fairly big changes in sounstage (often at the cost of ... other sound characteristics). I suppose this applies to headphones at a lesser degree, but I have no clue of the extend of that.

post #3814 of 14664
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

I sgree with u..plNrs need some headroom of extra power..BUT..maybe its better to say they need QUALITY power..not just raw power..and  no matter the power it has..if it doesnt synergize with the phone u have it doesnt matter how powerfull it is..synergy is the secret ingredient..

like he 500 is perfect with 337

but 337 not so with lcd 2 and 3

but lcd 2/3 do perfectly with v200

hd800 is horrible with 337 ( i actually bought my amp from a newly owner of ahd800biggrin.gif)

but bada amp does perfectly with the hd800

and so the list can go on and on and on..


Yes, synergy IS the secret ingredient.

 

It appears that you, my friend, are no longer a rookie. biggrin.gif

 

beerchug.gif

post #3815 of 14664
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post


Yes, synergy IS the secret ingredient.

 

It appears that you, my friend, are no longer a rookie. biggrin.gif

 

beerchug.gif

Thank u my friend wink.gif

post #3816 of 14664

hi all,

 

Would the HE-500 have any synergy with the following:

 

 

1)Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 D/A Converter (350USD all inclusive)

2) Audinst hud-mx2 (USD249 all inclusive)

3) NFB 11.32 (USD299~ + shipping)

 

and which would it go best with amongst these?

 

Thanks.

post #3817 of 14664
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasySounds View Post

hi all,

 

Would the HE-500 have any synergy with the following:

 

 

1)Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 D/A Converter (350USD all inclusive)

2) Audinst hud-mx2 (USD249 all inclusive)

3) NFB 11.32 (USD299~ + shipping)

 

and which would it go best with amongst these?

 

Thanks.

Lyr is maybe best choice in ur price range for the he500..

post #3818 of 14664
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasySounds View Post

hi all,

 

Would the HE-500 have any synergy with the following:

 

 

1)Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 D/A Converter (350USD all inclusive)

2) Audinst hud-mx2 (USD249 all inclusive)

3) NFB 11.32 (USD299~ + shipping)

 

and which would it go best with amongst these?

 

Thanks.

Maybe just start a bit smaller and find out if being an audiophile is for you... You could just get something midrange and use your e11.

post #3819 of 14664

Hello everyone,

 

I've been eyeing the HE-500's as my next purchase in the distant future. My one concern is the mentions that they're "laid-back". This is a qualia that I have trouble understanding (this, and "engaging"), and how it pertains to listening to "exciting" music... do "laid-back" headphones imply they synergize with relaxing music and not with exciting music? My assumption was that to be "exciting" or "in-your-face" it means that it would mean that one or several of the frequencies are emphasized ("forward") in the response, but would this mean that all flattish headphones like the HE-500 are laid-back?

 

To get straight to the thick of it though and not wonder so much about subjective qualia, I was wondering how these sound in general with Extreme Metal: Black Metal, Technical Death Metal, and even weird stuff like maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot, I.e. how does the bass response handle double-bass patterns and high BPMs, and how accurately is the crunch of distorted electric guitars retained?

 

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'd be listening to them through a Bifrost/Asgard 2.

 

Thank you, and sorry for the convoluted post.


Edited by vaed - 3/17/13 at 10:03am
post #3820 of 14664
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasySounds View Post

hi all,

 

Would the HE-500 have any synergy with the following:

 

 

1)Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 D/A Converter (350USD all inclusive)

2) Audinst hud-mx2 (USD249 all inclusive)

3) NFB 11.32 (USD299~ + shipping)

 

and which would it go best with amongst these?

 

Thanks.

 

Hey Easy. It looks like you're looking for an all-in-one solution. This limits your options. You could go for a basic dac and then experiment with amps separately - that would open up your options. But if you go with the list you're considering (before you even get to synergy) consider the basic power requirements of the HE-500 as a starting point. That would rule out the first two on the list (1 @ 600mW at 32ohms; can't find numbers for 2, but I think were still in the milliwatts range). I would go for 3 just to get started with sufficient power to drive the HP. At 1800mW at 50 ohms the NFB would provide the headphone with enough drive power. It's a good place to start, and since this is also a DAC you can experiment with other amps later on. P.S. Don't waste money on minimally adequate equipment, only to turn around and get rid of it. It's a good way to learn what works and doesn't but it's also wasteful. Anyway, my 0.02; happy hunting.

post #3821 of 14664
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I don't find none of the HiFimans to be slow.  However, the 500s are the slowest of the bunch IMO.  The HE-6, HE-4, HE-5LE has more pep to their step in comparison.  

 

Also, just got the hear the HD700s and yes these are pretty detailed headphones with the speed to keep up with any genre.   I will be giving these another listen very soon.

 

Ah, when would you like your intervention to begin?  biggrin.gif

post #3822 of 14664
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaed View Post

Hello everyone,

 

I've been eyeing the HE-500's as my next purchase in the distant future. My one concern is the mentions that they're "laid-back". This is a qualia that I have trouble understanding (this, and "engaging"), and how it pertains to listening to "exciting" music... do "laid-back" headphones imply they synergize with relaxing music and not with exciting music? My assumption was that to be "exciting" or "in-your-face" it means that it would mean that one or several of the frequencies are emphasized ("forward") in the response, but would this mean that all flattish headphones like the HE-500 are laid-back?

 

To get straight to the thick of it though and not wonder so much about subjective qualia, I was wondering how these sound in general with Extreme Metal: Black Metal, Technical Death Metal, and even weird stuff like maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot, I.e. how does the bass response handle double-bass patterns and high BPMs, and how accurately is the crunch of distorted electric guitars retained?

 

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'd be listening to them through a Bifrost/Asgard 2.

 

Thank you, and sorry for the convoluted post.

Laid back = middle -> back row of a concert depending on who you ask. Forward/in your face = front row.

 

There's multiple viewpoints on this. Some thinks the "exciting" music - in your case metals (especially death metal) - is badly recorded and "exciting" enough so they want a laidback system to tame that excitement i.e. not ear-shredding. Then there's the opposite who swear by the Grados (namely the 225i) for metals. In your face + In your face = Win. Just like how some people prefer the mosh pit and some like the outer row of a metal concert.

 

I liked Emperor/Bathory/Burzum on my He-500. Dissection sounds meh on the He-500. Best to get a home audition, or bring your music with you to a store.


Edited by khaine1711 - 3/17/13 at 10:33am
post #3823 of 14664
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

Laid back = middle -> back row of a concert depending on who you ask. Forward/in your face = front row.

 

There's multiple viewpoints on this. Some thinks the "exciting" music - in your case metals (especially death metal) - is badly recorded and "exciting" enough so they want a laidback system to tame that excitement i.e. not ear-shredding. Then there's the opposite who swear by the Grados (namely the 225i) for metals. In your face + In your face = Win. Just like how some people prefer the mosh pit and some like the outer row of a metal concert.

 

I liked Emperor/Bathory/Burzum on my He-500. Dissection sounds meh on the He-500. Best to get a home audition, or bring your music with you to a store.

Thanks!

 

I forgot about the whole concert hall metaphor. In this case, I suppose I'd rather not have everything upfront all the time (I did enjoy pair of SR-60is) since it implies fatigue. And I actually do prefer the outer row, haha.

 

I actually like your genre assessment, as I prefer my black metal far more in the monolithic, dense, and (forgive my use of this word) epic flavor. But indeed, it will come down to home auditioning. 

 

If it helps, I do enjoy everything about my Mad Dogs.

post #3824 of 14664

Thank you for the replies guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

Lyr is maybe best choice in ur price range for the he500..

 

Lyr seems to be used by many head-fiers and I respect that but it does not have a DAC I think. Plus it costs more and (for where I live) there are substantial shipping costs (at least 50-70USD just for USPS). [edit: I have recently received a fairly good offer for the Schiit Magni/Modi combo for about USD248 (all-inclusive)]

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Maybe just start a bit smaller and find out if being an audiophile is for you... You could just get something midrange and use your e11.

That's the thing, while I do understand that I may end up 'not liking' what I get with all this money spent, I'd prefer some finality in spending (or at least that's what the plan was haha).

 

What mid-range would you have in mind? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terja View Post

 

Hey Easy. It looks like you're looking for an all-in-one solution. This limits your options. You could go for a basic dac and then experiment with amps separately - that would open up your options. But if you go with the list you're considering (before you even get to synergy) consider the basic power requirements of the HE-500 as a starting point. That would rule out the first two on the list (1 @ 600mW at 32ohms; can't find numbers for 2, but I think were still in the milliwatts range). I would go for 3 just to get started with sufficient power to drive the HP. At 1800mW at 50 ohms the NFB would provide the headphone with enough drive power. It's a good place to start, and since this is also a DAC you can experiment with other amps later on. P.S. Don't waste money on minimally adequate equipment, only to turn around and get rid of it. It's a good way to learn what works and doesn't but it's also wasteful. Anyway, my 0.02; happy hunting.

Hey Terja, you're absolutely right - I'm looking for an all-in-one end-all solution!

 

Yeah I understand the grant fidelity is designed for high impedance (whatever this means) headphones; but it's oh so multi-functional compared to the other 2 options. Plus it works out to be only USD13 less than the NFB 11.32 once audio-gd gave me the full quote.

 

NFB 11.32 looks really nice but although people are saying the driver/software issues have been worked out I still worry.

 

How much would a basic DAC cost and how much would another amp cost? (around the same or more than the current models I'm looking at?) As you can tell I'm trying to just get this done and over with haha. As I haven't even auditioned anything I'm basing picks mostly off head-fi posts.

 

[edit: in a recent turn of events I can now get the Schiit Modi/Magni for USD248 (fairly good price for non-USA location I think). So now it's a fight between Magni/Modi (USD248) v NFB 11.32 (USD337) and just maaaybe Tubedac-11 (USD350) or even audinst hud-mx2 (USD249).]

 

TL;DR: What basic DAC do you have in mind? And what amp 'down the road'? A poster above suggested Lyr but if I did that, and got a separate DAC it would almost run up to the cost of my hifimans (i'm not yet that deep in audio to make such a commitment).

 

Thanks.

 

[hopefully final edit: pulled trigger on the NFB 11.32, thanks everyone]


Edited by EasySounds - 3/18/13 at 6:49am
post #3825 of 14664
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post


I'm not a cableist, but I used to be quite agnostic about amps. Planars need power. That I've learned firsthand. The other subtleties regarding amps - I'm simply not experienced enough yet.

I only beg that people avoid using an O2 with these headphones.

I've compared my HE-500 with my O2 and a friends $1k 4W Burson Soloist back and forth for a while and there were very few identifiable differences once we had both amps properly volume matched. I've also compared it with many other amps. Sorry, amp differences are just small and the O2 drives the HE-500 just fine..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .