or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 251

post #3751 of 16547
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

Regarding the treble, I guess I could "6moons" it up and write something like "roll off" "effortlessness without subliminal fatigue and greater treble transparency didn’t involve any superficial and stressed analysis"  very_evil_smiley.gif - doesn't change the fact that the He500 treble is rolled off, contributing to its sweet sweet sound (that's not a bad thing!).

 

 

I disagree that the treble is rolled off. At least to my ears it doesn't sound like it's rolled off. Sure it hasn't got the amount of treble of a DT880, in fact it has way, way less but I wouldn't called it roll off. It has just the right amount to bring sparkle into the music. I would call the LCD-2 treble rolled off that's for sure.

 

I can't comment on the HD600/650 though. I haven't heard them through a very good amplifier yet. 

 

But still, the HE-500 is just effin sweet (properly amped of course).

 

Oh and also: HE-500 Slow? I don't think so... (Ok, if compared to Staxes, yes it is slow... a lot slower).

post #3752 of 16547
Quote:
Originally Posted by VortexBlast View Post

 

I disagree that the treble is rolled off. At least to my ears it doesn't sound like it's rolled off. Sure it hasn't got the amount of treble of a DT880, in fact it has way, way less but I wouldn't called it roll off. It has just the right amount to bring sparkle into the music. I would call the LCD-2 treble rolled off that's for sure.

 

I can't comment on the HD600/650 though. I haven't heard them through a very good amplifier yet. 

 

But still, the HE-500 is just effin sweet (properly amped of course).

 

Oh and also: HE-500 Slow? I don't think so... (Ok, if compared to Staxes, yes it is slow... a lot slower).

I found out on MY RIG that copper cables affected the sound in a good way..fuller sound and more natural.the AURA powercables gave the sound more air and powerfull..and when i got my hands on herbie's audiolabs tenderfoot to put under my amp the black became blacker..my amp is dead silent now..its a difference u hear with music that has low volumes with lots of details..in past. It had trouble in producing that..but now i can even hear the softest details on my he500 with velours pads..the sound s almost perfect to my ears right now..am working to upgrade my rig to something very special...and much more expensive too..but only this way i thik i can better the sound i have now..the he500 on a 337 with the right tung sol tubes is that good! To my ears anyway..


Edited by hifimanrookie - 3/16/13 at 10:34am
post #3753 of 16547
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

I found out on MY RIG that copper cables affected the sound in a good way..fuller sound and more natural.the AURA powercables gave the sound more air and powerfull..and when i got my hands on herbie's audiolabs tenderfoot to put under my amp the black became blacker..my amp is dead silent now..its a difference u hear with music that has low volumes with lots of details..in past. It had trouble in producing that..but now i can even hear the softest details on my he500 with velours pads..the sound s almost perfect to my ears right now..am working to upgrade my rig to something very special...and much more expensive too..but only this way i thik i can better the sound i have now..the he500 on a 337 with the right tung sol tubes is that good! To my ears anyway..

 

Yes, I know. Higher end cables can make subtle but noticeable differences in sound but I've already blowed my budget for the Lyr so don't tempt me to buy more. tongue.gif

Though, I have auditioned an ALO Salty Pepper HE-500 cable and it did improve the microdetails and it sounded more fuller, more lush. Also tried a custom 16 braided ALO Reference 16 cable and the soundstage was a lot bigger. But, $500 for cables is pushing it a bit too far for me.

post #3754 of 16547

HE-500 treble is not rolled off. Actually, I find them slightly bright sometimes because of that mid treble peak. Obviously for somebody coming from DT990 or a Grado for example, HE-500 can seem dark by comparison because the highs on those other headphones are even brighter (excessively bright). Also, for someone used to dynamic or balanced armature driver treble presentation, HE-500 highs may seem rolled off because planars produce a softer, less aggressive treble.

post #3755 of 16547
Quote:
ALO Reference 16

 

500 bucks for 4.5ft of 22awg copper/spc screams overpriced to me; to each his own I guess. Although that's an interesting approach to cable, inter twinning spc with copper. 

 

Also ymmv about the treble. I liked and still like the He-500. The subdued treble should not be construed criticism wink.gif


Edited by khaine1711 - 3/16/13 at 11:02am
post #3756 of 16547
Quote:
Originally Posted by VortexBlast View Post

 

Yes, I know. Higher end cables can make subtle but noticeable differences in sound but I've already blowed my budget for the Lyr so don't tempt me to buy more. tongue.gif

Though, I have auditioned an ALO Salty Pepper HE-500 cable and it did improve the microdetails and it sounded more fuller, more lush. Also tried a custom 16 braided ALO Reference 16 cable and the soundstage was a lot bigger. But, $500 for cables is pushing it a bit too far for me.

I have toxic cables black widows 22awg copper cable..its cheaper then i can imagine..but the sound and quality of built....outrageous good,.check their appreciation thread..u will be suprised..i am very satisfied with their cables..i have a second even better cable on its way..and its by far not 500!,,

post #3757 of 16547
Metal is typically so heavily distorted and typically so poorly recorded that I can see how a narrower soundstage can lend itself to a lack of speed, but the actual decay is pretty fast, IMHO. I can also see how a lack of amping power or straight up amp mismatch could do that as well.

As far as comparing them to stats - aren't stats considered the absolutely fastest transducers available?
post #3758 of 16547

Hard to explain. Can't be fast without fast decay, but fast decay itself does not guarantee speed (Grado 225i/325is is a prime example of this). Soundstage doesn't mean much i.e. LCD2 - narrow but still really fast.

 

Speed is irrelevant to most people so let's leave it at that =p. The he500 is fast; just that its sound sig gives the impression illusion of it being slower than other Hifimans.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post

Metal is typically so heavily distorted and typically so poorly recorded that I can see how a narrower soundstage can lend itself to a lack of speed, but the actual decay is pretty fast, IMHO. I can also see how a lack of amping power or straight up amp mismatch could do that as well.

As far as comparing them to stats - aren't stats considered the absolutely fastest transducers available?
post #3759 of 16547

Hey guys I'm new here, I just got the HE-500, how high should the highs be on these? I listen to quite a bit of Jpop and the is a lot of "sss" and "tsss" pronunciation in their lyrics. Even on half volume they are still sort ear piercing. Are my headphones defective or do I just need burn in?

EDIT: I use an Aune T1 amp/dac with an OTK NOS Voskhod 6n23p tube.


Edited by Ravaholm - 3/16/13 at 3:28pm
post #3760 of 16547
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

Hard to explain. Can't be fast without fast decay, but fast decay itself does not guarantee speed (Grado 225i/325is is a prime example of this). Soundstage doesn't mean much i.e. LCD2 - narrow but still really fast.

Speed is irrelevant to most people so let's leave it at that =p. The he500 is fast; just that its sound sig gives the impression illusion of it being slower than other Hifimans.
You compared them speed-wise to Stax and HD800 - two types of cans that are said to excel at soundstage.

Listening to fast classical, the soundstage is a bit of a setback for the HE-500. I am beginning to like classical violin and when listening with the HE-500, I feel like I'm sitting in the violinist's lap. Nonetheless, it handles the speed and dynamic range pretty well.
post #3761 of 16547
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post


You compared them speed-wise to Stax and HD800 - two types of cans that are said to excel at soundstage.

Listening to fast classical, the soundstage is a bit of a setback for the HE-500. I am beginning to like classical violin and when listening with the HE-500, I feel like I'm sitting in the violinist's lap. Nonetheless, it handles the speed and dynamic range pretty well.

 

Coz they are the fastest =p. Other honourable mentions are K340, AD2000 and maybe the Sony SA5000. Soundstage is the weak point of orthos (even the he-6 or 5le) - again not to say that they're bad at soundstage/image; just that the imaging can't compete with the 800 and especially Stax).

 

 

 

Quote:
Hey guys I'm new here, I just got the HE-500, how high should the highs be on these? I listen to quite a bit of Jpop and the is a lot of "sss" and "tsss" pronunciation in their lyrics. Even on half volume they are still sort ear piercing. Are my headphones defective or do I just need burn in?

 

Maybe your dac/amp is clipping (run out of power). The He500 is very forgiving to sibilance. Even my badly-recorded, ear-shredding static noise black metal still isn't piercing with the 500.

post #3762 of 16547
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

 

Coz they are the fastest =p. Other honourable mentions are K340, AD2000 and maybe the Sony SA5000. Soundstage is the weak point of orthos (even the he-6 or 5le) - again not to say that they're bad at soundstage/image; just that the imaging can't compete with the 800 and especially Stax).

 

 

 

 

Maybe your dac/amp is clipping (run out of power). The He500 is very forgiving to sibilance. Even my badly-recorded, ear-shredding static noise black metal still isn't piercing with the 500.

I don't think so. It's plugged directly into wall and I haven't flipped on any of the gain switches on my Aune T1. It's the same on my styleaudio Carat HD1V. It could simply be the music I listen to. Try listening to Sugar Sweet Nightmare by Yui Horie.

post #3763 of 16547

to someone digging the re-272 sound (bright and analytical , yet not fatiguing) , would he enjoy the HE-400 or the HE-500 more ?

post #3764 of 16547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravaholm View Post

Hey guys I'm new here, I just got the HE-500, how high should the highs be on these? I listen to quite a bit of Jpop and the is a lot of "sss" and "tsss" pronunciation in their lyrics. Even on half volume they are still sort ear piercing. Are my headphones defective or do I just need burn in?

EDIT: I use an Aune T1 amp/dac with an OTK NOS Voskhod 6n23p tube.

Try a different amp..am almost sure the sss will dissapear..as planars dont do to well with tube amps because of lack of power and drive...onej of the few tube amps i know of who does drive he500 well and is reasonable priced is the dv 337 or lafigaro 339..ucan also try a hybrid..like the shiit lyr.


Edited by hifimanrookie - 3/16/13 at 3:53pm
post #3765 of 16547
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

Try a different amp..am almost sure the sss will dissapear..as planars dont do to well with tube amps because of lack of power and drive...onej of the few tube amps i know of who does drive he500 well and is reasonable priced is the dv 337 or lafigaro 339..ucan also try a hybrid..like the shiit lyr.

 

I have. A Styleaudio Carat HD1V. I'm starting to think it's the actual music and not the headphones because everthing else sounds fine except when a jpop singer pronounces anything with an S in it. Sugar Sweet Nightmare by Yui Horie has a lot of SSSS and TSSSSS pronunciations in it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .