or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 249

post #3721 of 16678

How do you guys wear your he500 on your head? I mean, I have mine slightly angled facing forwards.  I started doing this to reduce the pressure felt on my jaw.  But I have noticed, I am getting a more forward presentation of sound.  I find it more enjoyable as it's easier to imagine the band in front of me.  

 

Anyone else willing to try this and post their impressions on sound quality and soundstage?  I am a novice in that regard.

post #3722 of 16678

I have the HE500 on now and I have angled them forward and the soundstage seems to decrease a tiny bit but that's all I notice...

 

Does anyone know the reliability of the drivers in these too? has anyone heard of them becoming faulty or damaged over time? I know they are expensive and look built to last, but I am just curios biggrin.gif

post #3723 of 16678
I love the he500s have had many phones these are the best I've heard
Need help running 320 mps files will a biofrost be much better than odac into my ascard 2
post #3724 of 16678

I feel like a kid in a candy store...

 

 

post #3725 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrails View Post

How do you guys wear your he500 on your head? I mean, I have mine slightly angled facing forwards.  I started doing this to reduce the pressure felt on my jaw.  But I have noticed, I am getting a more forward presentation of sound.  I find it more enjoyable as it's easier to imagine the band in front of me.  

 

Anyone else willing to try this and post their impressions on sound quality and soundstage?  I am a novice in that regard.


Slightly forward of the top of my head. I'm usually wearing a ball cap (that's how I roll) and the headband is resting just forward of that button on the top of a ball cap.

 

What is that button called, anyway? smile.gif

post #3726 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

I feel like a kid in a candy store...

 

 


Impressions?

post #3727 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post


Slightly forward of the top of my head. I'm usually wearing a ball cap (that's how I roll) and the headband is resting just forward of that button on the top of a ball cap.

 

What is that button called, anyway? smile.gif

It's called the D-bag button.

 

I kid!  I'm just jealous because I have a small head and big ears and I look unbelievably silly in a baseball cap.

post #3728 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post

It's called the D-bag button.

 

I kid!  I'm just jealous because I have a small head and big ears and I look unbelievably silly in a baseball cap.


IMO, a D-bag on one's head is certainly preferable to a T-bag. wink_face.gif

 

beerchug.gif

post #3729 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post


IMO, a D-bag on one's head is certainly preferable to a T-bag. wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif
LOL!
post #3730 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

 

I am sure you are just exaggerating. Sure, they sound worse, maybe much worse than when they are properly driven, but they don't sound bad IMO - not out of decent, modern unamped sources. Both are perfectly listenable and like I wrote previously, I would still take both over most mid level headphones driven by good entry, mid and maybe even high end sources and amps. These days, better drivers and housing rule over better sources and amps in most cases IMO. Even the Clip can output enough detail to reveal differences between mid level cans, like, say, HD595, and higher end ones like HD650 or even HD800. I remember listening to HD800 and HD650 at a local store using my Sony NWZ-A816 player (cost $100 bucks back then, maybe a bit better than Clip) and being able to hear the extra speed and resolution of HD800 quite well, not to mention the HD800 still has a huge advantage over HD650 in the soundstage department even with a budget source like that.


hmm

 

I am currently waiting for my amps so I am using the HE500s un amped and it sounds...bad even worse than my M50s.

 

some songs the vocals are barely audible and half the instruments are missing in all the songs I listen to

 

 

Edit: I take what I said back. don't know why I didn't think of this earlier but turns out the 1/4 inch to 3.5 mm jack I used to plug in my HE500 to the computer is defective. I used the same jack with my M50 and getting the same results


Edited by pukeman - 3/15/13 at 7:41pm
post #3731 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukeman View Post


hmm

 

I am currently waiting for my amps so I am using the HE500s un amped and it sounds...bad even worse than my M50s.

 

some songs the vocals are barely audible and half the instruments are missing in all the songs I listen to

 

Come on - you are exaggerating. HE-500 has very full, rich mids, regardless of source. Unamped, the mids can be a little muddy, but they are in no way recessed. Some detail may be harder to pick out with HE-500 when they are driven by a weak source, because the transients become smeared. But the details are still there if you listen carefully. M50 can't even begin to approach the resolving power, speed, clarity and richness of HE-500, even if it is driven by the best possible amp and source while HE-500 is unamped. The latter is simply leagues ahead technically. What is your current source BTW? Maybe you truly have an awful source, but anything half-decent like a Sansa Clip or iPhone can drive HE-500 quite OK.


Edited by Pianist - 3/15/13 at 7:45pm
post #3732 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

 

Come on - you are exaggerating. HE-500 has very full, rich mids, regardless of source. Unamped, the mids can be a little muddy, but they are in no way recessed. Some detail may be harder to pick out with HE-500 when they are driven by a weak source, because the transients become smeared. But the details are still there if you listen carefully. M50 can't even begin to approach the resolving power, speed, clarity and richness of HE-500, even if it is driven by the best possible amp and source while HE-500 is unamped. The latter is simply leagues ahead technically. What is your current source BTW? Maybe you truly have an awful source, but anything half-decent like a Sansa Clip or iPhone can drive HE-500 quite OK.

 

sorry my bad, updated post with edit. turns out my 1/4inch to 3.5mm jack is messed up

post #3733 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukeman View Post

 

sorry my bad, updated post with edit. turns out my 1/4inch to 3.5mm jack is messed up

 

lol That happens. How does HE-500 sound to you now?

post #3734 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

 

lol That happens. How does HE-500 sound to you now?


LOL if i wiggle the jack a bit I can make it sound right and yup they do sound very nice! much more detailed, clear and open compared to my m50s

post #3735 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukeman View Post


LOL if i wiggle the jack a bit I can make it sound right and yup they do sound very nice! much more detailed, clear and open compared to my m50s

 

Now we are talking. Welcome to the club! beerchug.gif Replace that converter ASAP.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .