- 2,719 Posts. Joined 3/2009
- Location: Washington
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's? Last post on 10/20/13 at 6:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 238post #3556 of 142283/7/13 at 7:40pmunlike my audeze, my he500 never needed burnin. They sounded the same out of box as they did when they were older.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3557 of 142283/7/13 at 7:51pmQuote:
Same with mine ..... they were supposed to be new @ list price from Crutchfield, serial # 9### , but who knows if they were really virgin.post #3558 of 142283/7/13 at 7:54pm
Interesting.. I've noticed that the bass has tightened up, seemed a little HD650'ish at first (slow), mids have alway been brilliant and the highs are smoothing out. Maybe because I was mostly using an ill fitting set of velour pads. Have the pleathers back on now and am really liking it. YMMV.. just my experience.post #3559 of 142283/7/13 at 8:17pmpost #3560 of 142283/7/13 at 10:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by MickeyVee
Interesting.. I've noticed that the bass has tightened up, seemed a little HD650'ish at first (slow), mids have alway been brilliant and the highs are smoothing out. Maybe because I was mostly using an ill fitting set of velour pads. Have the pleathers back on now and am really liking it. YMMV.. just my experience.
My experience has been similar. I've got about 50-60 hours now and I've noticed the bass seems quicker and has a bit more impact than when I first took it out of the box. Mids and highs are silky smooth. I prefer the velour pads though, they just sound more natural to me. I found the pleathers sounded slightly hollow and artificial.post #3561 of 142283/7/13 at 10:57pm
mine changed after about 20 hours, out of the box the HE-500 is like a hybrid between DT880 (abit forward on the treble yet very smooth and never sounded thin) and HD650 (abit forward on the mids, and thick bass yet tighter and faster), after 20 hours the treble start to take forms, take a few step back but sounded realistic and still retaining that smoothness, the mids become lusher yet still forward though. After changing my setups the HE-500 is become a newly beast, most noticeable is it's techicality, seperation, depth, height and imaging improves.
This is my first encounter with an orthodynamic headphone and the experience is very intriguing, so is everybody i guess
Just my 2centpost #3562 of 142283/7/13 at 11:19pmI don't really know if mine changed - it was an open-box refurb. It could have gotten burned in, although I doubt it. Most likely, it was so poorly amped at first that small details in the change escaped me.post #3564 of 142283/8/13 at 4:21am
Worried I might have damaged my precious HE 500. For about 30 sec I accidentally played white noise at a very high volume. Where I had to take them off and disconnect from the Amplifier. Is there anyway of finding out if some damage has occurred to the headphones. Any advice is welcomed thanks. By the way these are the best headphones I have ever heard.post #3565 of 142283/8/13 at 4:23am
The only burn-in they needed is actually switching the muffled pleather to the velour.
Too bad I started the experiment with the Alpha pads after I sold the 500s... Considering the positive effect they have on both my 4s and 5LEs, I might have done a mistake selling them...
The 500s with Alpha pads and hard wired Norse cables might be an extremely yummy experience! In the future, maybe?post #3566 of 142283/8/13 at 5:00amQuote:Originally Posted by kasimoa
Worried I might have damaged my precious HE 500. For about 30 sec I accidentally played white noise at a very high volume. Where I had to take them off and disconnect from the Amplifier. Is there anyway of finding out if some damage has occurred to the headphones. Any advice is welcomed thanks. By the way these are the best headphones I have ever heard.
I doubt you have damaged them. They can handle several watts. The lcd2 can handle 15 watt rms.post #3567 of 142283/8/13 at 5:08amQuote:
Thanks for that its good to get some technical feedback. I have been listening to them for the past 30min and everything seems fine.post #3568 of 142283/8/13 at 6:10am
The difference between when I first opened the box and when I plugged them in and put electronic signals though them was literally night and day. Initially they were just a lump of metal, plastic, and wires, then when I hit "play" on the FOOBAR, they sounded like the best headphones I've ever owned.post #3569 of 142283/8/13 at 6:43ampost #3570 of 142283/8/13 at 6:47am
Has anyone here tried the HE500 with Graham Slee Solo Srg II?
Because my current desktop amp is GS Solo Srg II and i don't intend to invest in another amp
How srg ii +HD650 combo compare with srg ii + HE500?
Any input is appreciated!
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 28 seconds ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle CMA800 Current Mode Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 2 minutes ago
- › CanMania 2014 @ Capital Audiofest: Impressions & Reports 3 minutes ago
- › Yamaha EPH-100 3 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 5 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 8 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 9 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 9 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)