or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 23

post #331 of 18030

I received my 3m balanced Q-audio cable for the HE500 today. Just though I would post a picture of it since people might be looking for a better solution to the "new" cable style.

DSC00034.JPG

post #332 of 18030

God that's a sexy cable...

Jealous.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStyles View Post

I received my 3m balanced Q-audio cable for the HE500 today. Just though I would post a picture of it since people might be looking for a better solution to the "new" cable style.

DSC00034.JPG



 

 

post #333 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by justie View Post

yeah, i understood that but what im getting at is that is there a noticeable difference in SQ when using an adapter and is there such a thing as 'audiophile' adapters. I can imagine marketing BS like 99.99999% OFC made headphone jack adapter coated with pixie dust to reduce noise interference etc etc.
 


I have never heard a difference in sound quality with a 3.5mm plug when using a SOLID 1/4" adapter.  I've tried this with amps that have two jacks, and with multiple cables.  You might hear a degradation in sound using a cheap adapter that has a cheap cable between the male and female connectors.  But the solid one-piece 1/4" adapters I have tried, that don't use a cable between the male plug and female jack, seem to have no effect on the sound. 

post #334 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth View Post

Wait, they changed it to 3.5mm default? Why? Who is actually going to use these as a portable can, they're freaking ginormous and heavy as hell. Terrible decision, glad I got mine beforehand.


Many people are using these with portable DAC/amps with a laptop rig, or with small desktop amps, not just with iPods and such.  Most of those amps have a 1/8" jack, and the cheap adapters to take a 1/4" headphone cable down to 1/8" are usually much worse than the ones that take a 1/8" headphone cable up to 1/4".

post #335 of 18030

I just got my HE-500...with a broken right earpad. It has a pretty large gap between the pad and frame. I'll post pics later.

 

I can't say I'm surprised considering the shoddy build quality of the pad attachment mechanism (thin transparent plastic flaps that break with the tiniest amount of force). I lightly tried to put on the extra earpad provided but it's literally too fragile to survive the attachment...

 

Word of advice to new owners: don't ever take off the pads. You're taking a big risk having to re-attach them.

 

Hopefully Head-Direct can send me a replacement pad without me having to ship this back to them...that would be a time-consuming and expensive hassle, especially considering the postal service is on strike in Canada.

post #336 of 18030


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

I just got my HE-500...with a broken right earpad. It has a pretty large gap between the pad and frame. I'll post pics later.

 

I can't say I'm surprised considering the shoddy build quality of the pad attachment mechanism (thin transparent plastic flaps that break with the tiniest amount of force). I lightly tried to put on the extra earpad provided but it's literally too fragile to survive the attachment...

 

Word of advice to new owners: don't ever take off the pads. You're taking a big risk having to re-attach them.

 

Hopefully Head-Direct can send me a replacement pad without me having to ship this back to them...that would be a time-consuming and expensive hassle, especially considering the postal service is on strike in Canada.


This is not encouraging. This was and is a concern for me as I see how they are on the loaner pair.  The problem I see even the replacement will be an issue putting it back onj. fang needs to step up to the plate and correct this immediately and should not ship these until a suitable replacement is designed and put on the headphone.

 

post #337 of 18030

Mine arrived today. Everything seems to be good. The only problem is they are too big. I will have to figure out a solution for this.

post #338 of 18030

If too big is the same as the headband actually does not touch the top of your head when the earpads on the HE-500 is placed where they are suposed too, I have the same problem. I´ve been browsing the "Grado headband mod" threads, and I think I´m ordering the spare part Beyerdynamic DT990 headband. Hopefully that will add 1/2" ...

 

post #339 of 18030

I also found the HE-500 and HE-6 to be designed for larger heads than mine.  My head is average size, IMO, but I must keep the HE-500 on the smallest setting to fit correctly.

post #340 of 18030



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

I just got my HE-500...with a broken right earpad. It has a pretty large gap between the pad and frame. I'll post pics later.

 

I can't say I'm surprised considering the shoddy build quality of the pad attachment mechanism (thin transparent plastic flaps that break with the tiniest amount of force). I lightly tried to put on the extra earpad provided but it's literally too fragile to survive the attachment...

 

Word of advice to new owners: don't ever take off the pads. You're taking a big risk having to re-attach them.

 

Hopefully Head-Direct can send me a replacement pad without me having to ship this back to them...that would be a time-consuming and expensive hassle, especially considering the postal service is on strike in Canada.


Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the ear pad. Hopefully Head-Direct will take your word for it and ship another.  I found Head-Direct a little slow to respond, but they did all they could to make me happy, which I am.  BTW, what do you think of the sound of the headphones?

post #341 of 18030

Hey Steve. I have to say, the sound is promising. I'll post impressions tomorrow after letting it burn-in overnight (should have around 30 hours on it by then).

post #342 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post


This is not encouraging. This was and is a concern for me as I see how they are on the loaner pair.  The problem I see even the replacement will be an issue putting it back onj. fang needs to step up to the plate and correct this immediately and should not ship these until a suitable replacement is designed and put on the headphone.

 

 

 

We shipped some packages on last Friday as soon as we finished some headphones in the current batch, unfortunately we have a lot of orders so that Frank's order is not included in the orders sent on Friday. I have replied 5 to 6 email from Frank and explained to him that his package will be shipped earlier this week, and the tracking number will be send to him in 24 hrs after the shipment.

 

Frank's package has been hand to the shipping carrier yesterday. However, I have refund Frank's order as soon as I got his email about cancel order this morning. I will try to contact our shipping carrier and find out if we can get the package back. 

 

I apologize for all inconvienence that Frank got. 

 

 

 

 


Edited by Nankai - 6/21/11 at 8:02pm
Reply
post #343 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

I just got my HE-500...with a broken right earpad. It has a pretty large gap between the pad and frame. I'll post pics later.

 

I can't say I'm surprised considering the shoddy build quality of the pad attachment mechanism (thin transparent plastic flaps that break with the tiniest amount of force). I lightly tried to put on the extra earpad provided but it's literally too fragile to survive the attachment...

 

Word of advice to new owners: don't ever take off the pads. You're taking a big risk having to re-attach them.

 

Hopefully Head-Direct can send me a replacement pad without me having to ship this back to them...that would be a time-consuming and expensive hassle, especially considering the postal service is on strike in Canada.


 

I have posted the info about new pad design on Jun 8th. Pls always remember HE series headphones are earpad replaceable design. 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557659/we-are-upgrading-he-series-headphones-replaceable-earpads

 

Our engineers tried to work with our earpad vendors to provide earpads in a much better quality. We have finished the design, and will try to make several different samples very soon. This process will take about 4 to 8 weeks, and will get two finished product (leather version and cloth version). As soon as we finished, we will release them at our website. 

 

Reply
post #344 of 18030
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai View Post

I have posted the info about new pad design on Jun 8th. Pls always remember HE series headphones are earpad replaceable design. 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557659/we-are-upgrading-he-series-headphones-replaceable-earpads

 

Our engineers tried to work with our earpad vendors to provide earpads in a much better quality. We have finished the design, and will try to make several different samples very soon. This process will take about 4 to 8 weeks, and will get two finished product (leather version and cloth version). As soon as we finished, we will release them at our website. 

 

 

Hi Fang. Any idea how much these new pads will cost? Also, will new customers get the new pads as stock or will it still be an upgrade option?

Thanks

 

post #345 of 18030

Will be available soon. Will not be expensive (below $20 each). 


Edited by Nankai - 6/21/11 at 9:12pm
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .