or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 204

post #3046 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

There is no way: 

1. The HE-500s  have a less bright spot in the upper mids 

2. The  HE-500 is noway more accurate than the HE-5LEs


The HE-5LE is way more balanced across the spectrum when compared to the HE-500

Maybe he's hearing the rolled off highs of HE-500 and 5LE's sound bright in those regions on a relative basis?
post #3047 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

There is no way: 

 

1. The HE-500s  have a less bright spot in the upper mids 

 

2. The  HE-500 is noway more accurate than the HE-5LEs

 

 

The HE-5LE is way more balanced across the spectrum when compared to the HE-500.  

 

 

HE-5 / 5LE

 

 

HE-500

 


If the HE-5LE is more accurate, could you describe the HE-500 as more "fun"?  (I haven't heard the HE-5LE)

post #3048 of 16541

HE-5LE is not accurate.  It's quite plastic sounding, rounded and overly smooth.  It has it's fans but it's no LCD-2 replacement like the HE-500 can be.

post #3049 of 16541

No I find that the pleather ear pads take away some of detail in the music. Actually to be honest when I changed it to Velour it was like listening to a new headphone. 

post #3050 of 16541

There is a reason for that...

 

Velour

 

Leather

post #3051 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

HE-5LE is not accurate.  It's quite plastic sounding, rounded and overly smooth.  It has it's fans but it's no LCD-2 replacement like the HE-500 can be.

 

 

I'll bet my dime to your donuts that the HE-5LE is more accurate than the HE500s.  

 

Use a amp that's up to par.  The HE-5LE has only slightly less amping requirements than the HE-6.

 

No plasic sound on the First Watts F1J watch..


Edited by preproman - 2/8/13 at 10:57am
post #3052 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

There is no way: 

 

1. The HE-500s  have a less bright spot in the upper mids 

 

2. The  HE-500 is noway more accurate than the HE-5LEs

 

 

The HE-5LE is way more balanced across the spectrum when compared to the HE-500.  

 

 

HE-5 / 5LE

 

 

HE-500

 

 

 

Maybe there is no such thing as a nanotechnology mic sitting on my ear-drum?  This is what happens when folks without a background in science try to interpret measurements,  ask the guy who took them how repeatable these are when the mic is moved a few thousands of an inch,  or the correlation to real acoustics  (ever listen to a pair of tweeters 90 degrees to your head?) Answer: there is no correlation. 

 

My 5LE's are history,   the HE-500's reproduce midrange more accurate to real life,  sorry I don't try to dazzel you with a 2D plot to represent acoustics that are much more complicated than a 6th grade algebra x-y plot.  I know what a guitar sounds like,  and the HE5LE's shine a spot light on the upper two octaves.  I sure people don't master music to these plots.

post #3053 of 16541

popcorn.gif

post #3054 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasimoa View Post

 

And I have tried running them from the Dac/Amp combo Audiolab M-Dac, arguably one of the best Dac's out there, and also Arcam rPac/Fiio E9K. I just dont find these headphones engaging at all. 

 

Anyone wants to point out what I am doing wrong then please by all means let me know. Thanks 

You are using the worst AMPs to drive these things. something with only 138mW and something with >25ohms of output impedance is sure to destroy your sound.

post #3055 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

I'll bet my dime to your donuts that the HE-5LE is more accurate than the HE500s.  

 

Use a amp that's up to par.  The HE-5LE has only slightly less amping requirements than the HE-6.

 

No plasic sound on the First Watts F1J watch..

 

You do love your F1J :P

 

I owned the HE-5LE while I had a black velvet B22.  Power wasn't an issue, not that 4mW is hard to muster.

 

A 12dB scoop out starting around 500Hz is not natural ;)

 

post #3056 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post

 

 

Maybe there is no such thing as a nanotechnology mic sitting on my ear-drum?  This is what happens when folks without a background in science try to interpret measurements,  ask the guy who took them how repeatable these are when the mic is moved a few thousands of an inch,  or the correlation to real acoustics  (ever listen to a pair of tweeters 90 degrees to your head?) Answer: there is no correlation. 

 

My 5LE's are history,   the HE-500's reproduce midrange more accurate to real life,  sorry I don't try to dazzel you with a 2D plot to represent acoustics that are much more complicated than a 6th grade algebra x-y plot.  I know what a guitar sounds like,  and the HE5LE's shine a spot light on the upper two octaves.  I sure people don't master music to these plots.

 

Yea I'd agree with that. Not to mention that each individual has their own Head Related Transfer Function along with their own hearing acuity. FR plots are quite useless, especially when the headphone FR manages to stay within 3-6 dB. At the least you need a water plot chart. Even though energy doubles at 3 dB, when you ask people to match the volume to when they think it's double of what they were hearing, it's usually around 10 dB. Psychoacoustics is a must to know.

post #3057 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfireblade25 View Post

You are using the worst AMPs to drive these things. something with only 138mW and something with >25ohms of output impedance is sure to destroy your sound.

 

I wouldn't surprise if he chooses the HD700 rather than the HE-500 for that reason rolleyes.gif

post #3058 of 16541
Just picked these puppies up after my tax refund. Fiance wasn't happy but my ears are. Had a few friends listens and the consensus is that it is hard to believe headphones are on your head. The most realistic experience this side of a concert. One happy customer here.
post #3059 of 16541
Double post. Ugh
Edited by RestoredSparda - 2/8/13 at 9:31pm
post #3060 of 16541

I know hearing is very subjective but when I read stuff like, "The soundstage is very congested and centred. I can't delineate where the instruments are placed on the stage" I just shake my head. Maybe I'm the odd one out but I don't listen to headphones to critically analyze where the instruments are located or if I can hear the singer breathe, etc and personally, I don't think anyone can do that without knowing where the instruments actually were during a recording. If you could, and you accidentally put your headphones on "backward" the instruments would be on the other side of the stage. OMG!

 

I once read a speaker review in Stereophile and the reviewer state he could actually hear the floor move under the drum set during certain parts. Hogwash.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .