or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 202

post #3016 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

 

 

I should have said in my post "provided the treble peak is dealt with".  It's really quite benign and easily ironed out unless you use a dedicated HP amp in isolation, away from a computer. This is why I won't use a dedicated HP amp and much prefer an integrated, because even the best phones need a tweak, and once that tweak is applied the DT880 is certainly one of the best phones. As for the HE-500 being more neutral, to me it makes everything sounds like it was recorded in a cave, as I've said elsewhere. There's a ringing/resonance somewhere that really bothers me, which the DT880 completely lacks. No, I don't find the HE-500 neutral at all.

I've really found the DT880 and HE-500 to sound the opposite of what you're saying (although we both seem to agree the DT880 has too harsh treble).. I liked the HE-500 much better than the LCD2 even (which sounded more closed and had too laid-back treble)...but different ears, different opinions. 

 

The HE-500 is one of my favorite headphones after trying out many many of them..they really make me forget about the headphones and just listen to the music and still amaze me when i pick them up..


Edited by No Days Off - 2/6/13 at 10:37pm
post #3017 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

 

 

I should have said in my post "provided the treble peak is dealt with".  It's really quite benign and easily ironed out unless you use a dedicated HP amp in isolation, away from a computer. This is why I won't use a dedicated HP amp and much prefer an integrated, because even the best phones need a tweak, and once that tweak is applied the DT880 is certainly one of the best phones. As for the HE-500 being more neutral, to me it makes everything sounds like it was recorded in a cave, as I've said elsewhere. There's a ringing/resonance somewhere that really bothers me, which the DT880 completely lacks. No, I don't find the HE-500 neutral at all.


There is 2 things the HE-500 have, which the DT-880 cannot achieve. Amazing bass, and fast transients. IMO the problems that the HE-500 have can be dealt with through modding the pads.

 

I find the DT-880 to be very slow in direct comparison. I remember finding it to be struggling compared to the HE-500.

post #3018 of 18030

Not to mention the acid midrange.

 

I cannot blame the DT-880 too much: it's thanks to them that I upgraded the HE-4 to the HE-500. I wanted a bigger soundstage, like with the Beyer. I ended up getting much more than just that :D

post #3019 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post


There is 2 things the HE-500 have, which the DT-880 cannot achieve. Amazing bass, and fast transients. IMO the problems that the HE-500 have can be dealt with through modding the pads.

 

 

What you say may be true, but as a listener to classical/orchestral music exclusively they're less important to me than other aspects like lack of colouration, neutral balance and low listener fatigue. Bass and fast transients are of course more important in other forms of music.

 

As for modding the HE-500 pads, I'm 66 and my modding days are over, thank you. If a manufacturer can't get it right at the design stage I'm not about to second guess him.

post #3020 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Days Off View Post

I've really found the DT880 and HE-500 to sound the opposite of what you're saying (although we both seem to agree the DT880 has too harsh treble)..

 

I'm afraid you've misunderstood me. The DT880 has a treble peak which needs to be ironed out for ideal balance, but the treble is by no means harsh; quite the opposite. Quality and quantity here are two different things.

 

By "the opposite" are you saying the DT880 sounds like everything was recorded in a cave?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

Not to mention the acid midrange.

 

 

Do you mean the DT880? I've never heard them described that way before, nor is it anything like what I hear. Acid midrange? I may have to put an asbestos cloth over my ears when I use them next time.

post #3021 of 18030

I read several other people saying the DT-800's midrange sounds acid.

 

If pp312 is 66, he might well use the extra treble quantity of the 880s ;)

 

A HE-5 or HE-6 might be colser to the voicing of the 800s, right?

post #3022 of 18030

I don't think you can say one is problematic and not the other...

 

post #3023 of 18030

Personally, I don't really trust the headroom graphs

post #3024 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

I don't think you can say one is problematic and not the other...

 

 

Those don't tell much. This might show you more detail:

 

 

HE500

 

 

 

 

DT880

1000

 

 

Pretty obvious how severe each peak is.

post #3025 of 18030

Where is it possible to see a waterfall plot of the HE-500 bass?

post #3026 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Where is it possible to see a waterfall plot of the HE-500 bass?

Nowhere; bass waterfall plot tends to hold very little information because it just drags out. Even the lower end of the shown waterfall plots show that at 500 Hz there is already a huge amount of bloat that goes off the time scale.

post #3027 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Nowhere; bass waterfall plot tends to hold very little information because it just drags out. Even the lower end of the shown waterfall plots show that at 500 Hz there is already a huge amount of bloat that goes off the time scale.


Some 'phones do bass better than others. Therefore it must be measurable with a bigger scale? You could just split it into different charts.

post #3028 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 


Some 'phones do bass better than others. Therefore it must be measurable with a bigger scale? You could just split it into different charts.

That makes sense in theory I know. That's why I do recall seeing some headphone CSDs in the past with the bass portion included, however for the particular source in mind (N/A) purrin does not measure the bass.


Edited by jerg - 10/16/13 at 8:47pm
post #3029 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Is this the work of LFF?  I wonder if they can do this to a stock pair of HE-5s as well.

No it's apparently from someone named Martin. I don't know any more detail than that though.

post #3030 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

No it's apparently from someone named Martin. I don't know any more detail than that though.


Martin Custom Audio. The guy has been doing custom woodcup for Denon 2k and Grado for a while. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .