Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 123

post #1831 of 13453
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanyuceer View Post

OTL Tube Amps like Little Dots or Darkvoice 3322 is very bad with HE500.

 

Because OTL amps give more power to more impedance.

 

The two Little Dots I mentioned in particular aren't OTL to my understanding. The Little Dot 1+ is a tube solid state hybrid designed for low impedance. The MK VII isn't OTL either. I know that Valhalla is bad for planar's since it's OTL but SS and hybrid amps like asgard and lyr are fine. 

 
post #1832 of 13453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

Headband Pad for My HE500

 

I have been trying anything I could to improve the comfort level of my HE500 as the weight can be very difficult for long listening sessions. I had my wife make a makeshift pad which looked horrible but did relieve the weight to some extent. Then after months of fighting this problem I noticed a headband pad for sale on Ebay that was made for Beyerdynamics. The price was so reasonable that I thought it was worth a shot so I went ahead and ordered one. I will state at the outset I am in no way affiliated with the seller. Here are some very poor photos ( I am a terrible photographer)

 

                               

 

                               

 

I find this headband pad to fit the HE500 perfectly and provide much added comfort. At last I can enjoy my HE500's for more than an hour without the weight crushing into my head. I ordered this from http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headband-Cushion-Pad-fit-BEYER-HiFiMAN-DENON-SONY-KOSS-BOSE-BEATS-DRE-Headphones-/200799150982?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2ec08fe386#ht_836wt_906 . In spite of my poor photography, this really looks nice on the HE500's. My wife commented that it looked like it was made for them and I have to agree. I believe this would work for any of the HiFiman products, but I have only the HE500 to try. As far as I know all of the HiFiman headbands for the various models are the same.  For the very modest price this solved a big comfort problem for me. The headband pad simply snaps on over top of the existing headband. Makes this a literal snap to use (sorry for the disgusting pun)

 

Hi Chodi,

 

Ipurchased these when I saw this post and just received them today.  They don't seem to fit without bending the leather of the middle portion of the original headband to make it narrower.  The pad is uniform width, while the Hifiman headband is wider in the center.  Did you bend the leather of your original headband up to make it fit, or did you get a pad that was wider in the middle than the sides?  

 

I just wrote to the seller to see if there's a different version, but as it stands (with the version I got), I wouldn't want to use these as it requires doing something to the original headband (bending the leather edges up or down) that may leave permanent traces.

post #1833 of 13453

Still struggling a bit with the comfort on these.  As I said before, I found another pair of old glasses with thinner frames, and that helped, but even still, I can't wear the HE-500 for extended periods with my glasses on.  It's a shame, cause I'm really warming up to the sound.  The mids on these cans are amazing.

post #1834 of 13453
Quote:
Originally Posted by captouch View Post

 

Hi Chodi,

 

Ipurchased these when I saw this post and just received them today.  They don't seem to fit without bending the leather of the middle portion of the original headband to make it narrower.  The pad is uniform width, while the Hifiman headband is wider in the center.  Did you bend the leather of your original headband up to make it fit, or did you get a pad that was wider in the middle than the sides?  

 

I just wrote to the seller to see if there's a different version, but as it stands (with the version I got), I wouldn't want to use these as it requires doing something to the original headband (bending the leather edges up or down) that may leave permanent traces.

I did not have to bend anything it just fit. I know he sells various models and perhaps he sent you the wrong pad. I will email him to see if he forgot which one he sent me. You can see in the photo it took a slight bit of effort to stretch at the very ends, but it did fit without any mod to the headband. I use it every day and it has not exhibited any problem after I installed it. I bet he sent you the wrong one.

 

After I posted this I added this edit: I just realized that there was a change to the HE500 headband somewhere in the course of it's production. I have the latest version. I cannot say if this pad will fit the earlier production models, I really do not know. I should have thought of that in my first post, I am sorry but that HE500 production change completely slipped my mind when I posted this. Mine was just purchased three months ago and has the silver wire and the latest headband design. Very sorry for not pointing that out before.


Edited by Chodi - 8/24/12 at 7:20pm
post #1835 of 13453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

I did not have to bend anything it just fit. I know he sells various models and perhaps he sent you the wrong pad. I will email him to see if he forgot which one he sent me. You can see in the photo it took a slight bit of effort to stretch at the very ends, but it did fit without any mod to the headband. I use it every day and it has not exhibited any problem after I installed it. I bet he sent you the wrong one.

 

It's not really that close.  The 5LE headband in the middle is a little over 1.75":

 

 

The aftermarket headband width is about 1.375":

 

 

 

 

So you have to bend your stock headband to make it fit and the snaps kind of "burst" open because of the tension.

 

I emailed the seller and he said he only sells one version of this headband.  Can you please let us know if you hear anything back from him and can you measure the width of your headband (if you don't mind removing it to measure it)?

 

Thanks!

post #1836 of 13453
Quote:
Originally Posted by captouch View Post

 

It's not really that close.  The 5LE headband in the middle is a little over 1.75":

 

 

The aftermarket headband width is about 1.375":

 

 

 

 

So you have to bend your stock headband to make it fit and the snaps kind of "burst" open because of the tension.

 

I emailed the seller and he said he only sells one version of this headband.  Can you please let us know if you hear anything back from him and can you measure the width of your headband (if you don't mind removing it to measure it)?

 

Thanks!

I just took my pad off and measured it. The pad measured 1 1/2inch at the center. My He500 headband measure 1/16th inch wider at the center. In my case they are for all practical purposes identical. That explains why, for me,  it fits like a glove exactly as shown in my photos. There must be some variation in Hifiman headbands than I am not aware of. 

post #1837 of 13453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

I just took my pad off and measured it. The pad measured 1 1/2inch at the center. My He500 headband measure 1/16th inch wider at the center. In my case they are for all practical purposes identical. That explains why, for me,  it fits like a glove exactly as shown in my photos. There must be some variation in Hifiman headbands than I am not aware of. 

 

Thanks for measuring Chodi.

 

My 500's are early version with the Canare cable.  Not sure about 5LE.  Maybe Hifiman went a little thinner on the headbands at some point.  Too bad for me - I was looking forward to having the extra padding as well as compensating for a short-height headphone stand where the connectors almost touch the bottom - the extra padding wouldn't given extra clearance to the bottom of the stand.  

 

I recommend others measure their headbands before ordering so they at least know which boat they're in.  0.375" is quite a lot to compensate for in size difference if you have the wider band.

post #1838 of 13453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

The two Little Dots I mentioned in particular aren't OTL to my understanding. The Little Dot 1+ is a tube solid state hybrid designed for low impedance. The MK VII isn't OTL either. I know that Valhalla is bad for planar's since it's OTL but SS and hybrid amps like asgard and lyr are fine. 

 


I read VII as II from my phone and wrote as a warning.

 

Consider it now as a general warning then :)

 

 

Also my Darkvoice 336 wasnt driving HE500s properly. I think HE500 needs a powerful amp.


Edited by hasanyuceer - 8/24/12 at 10:27pm
post #1839 of 13453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

Anybody have experience pairing HE-500 with Little Dot 1+ or Little Dot Mk VII?

I used to own the LD1+ but sold it prior to getting the HE500's. I would say that it should drive the HE500's no problem, It has bags of current for the job. It has two gain setting too if needed but I can't honestly imagine the HE500's would need the extra gain.

If you replace the stock opamp for a opa2107 and get some western electric 408a tubes, you have a very good little amp for the money and it will drive all low impedance phones well.  

post #1840 of 13453

Since receiving my HE-500's, the D7000 and I have parted ways and now the RS1i is looking like the odd headphone out. Moving-coil drivers don't do it for me anymore.

 

The HE-500's are the most fun I've had listening to music in a very long time. I find their tonal balance "just right" for my ears. That statement comes after a strait -- 6h HE-500 marathon two days ago that included various genres and styles of music at medium to high listening levels.  Not an ounce of ear fatigue --  neck's a tad tender though biggrin.gif

These are keepers -- FOR SURE.

 

I'm a Planar convert. Got the t-shirt. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Has anyone performed the following:

1. Re-sleeved the stock silver cable?

2. Replaced the ear pads with a different manufacturer?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezolver View Post

Raptor, I will look into that record. Thank you for your suggestion and pad input. Leather forever indeed. :)

 

I continue to pick my jaw off of the floor with each track I listen to on these. Well done Fang! Technically you've achieved it, ergonomically, you could use some help ;) Drop me a PM, lets talk :) hahha, but no, seriously.

 

Back to the tunes. To quote Fear and Loathing...(and VAC)

 

Raoul Duke: Oh god... did you eat all this acid?
Dr. Gonzo: That's right. MUSIC!

 

ps. To add, my D7000's are becoming the 'odd headphone out' and might be getting the Axe here, Jeremiah Trotter styles, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVoNY9j1vqU @ 2:20.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezolver View Post

I became a new owner of the HE-500's earlier this week. They will first spend some time on my head, pleasuring my ears and senses with such wonders as: 

 

Stendeck - Scintilla,

Aes Dana,

Whitney Houston,

Guns N' Roses,

Roberta Flack,

<any jazz suggestions?>,

Supertramp - Crime of the Century,

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon,

Depeche Mode - Ultra,

2Pac,

Michael Jackson,

Paul M. - Band on a Run,

The Cars - S/T,

Kalmah,

Strauss Waltzes - Reiner,

 

...amongst others ...and see where to go from there.

 

ps. I'm running mine 'old school', with Leather pads (Velvet itches my ears).

 

How about you? "Leather" or Velvet pads?

post #1841 of 13453

I haven't read about anyone re-sleeving the stock silver cable, but I have replaced it to better effect. I use a silver/copper one and it added a little more body to the mids and refinement at the top.

 

Pleased your enjoying them Rezolver, I am too a convert! (even sold my RS1's..)

post #1842 of 13453
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezolver View Post

 

Has anyone performed the following:

1. Re-sleeved the stock silver cable?

2. Replaced the ear pads with a different manufacturer?

 

 

 

 

 

I'm using DT990 earpads on mine.

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads

post #1843 of 13453
Quote:

Has anyone performed the following:

1. Re-sleeved the stock silver cable?

 

 

I re-sleeved my silver stock cable and also converted it to 4-pin XLR. There is a small thread going on HERE about sleeving the stock cable. Seems some people have had microphonic issues with the stock silver cable, something which I can't attest to. I simply sleeved mine because the cable seemed vulnerable and in need of additional protection. Here is a pic of my re-sleeved cable:

 

post #1844 of 13453

I intend to rewire my stock HE-500 cable (silver) to XLR and build a "pigtail" for connection to a speaker amp (like the HE-6 cable). Could you please tell me the correct pin allocations for the XLR? Am I correct in assuming that the conductor connected to the central pin in the earcup connector is positive, and should be connected to the red speaker output?

 

Finally, I assume that I should use the 8 Ohm taps rather than the 4 Ohm ones......

 

The speaker amp in question is an 18W PSE 300B Opera Consonance Reference 5.5 Mk.II (see avatar!)

post #1845 of 13453

XLR pins are already marked 1, 2, 3, 4 and should be connected as follows:

 

Pin 1 - Left positive (L + / Red - active)

Pin 2 - Left negative (L - / Black - ground)

Pin 3 - Right positive (R + / Red - active)

Pin 4 - Right negative (R - / Black - ground)

 

I'm not familiar with the specs of your amp. Check with the manufacturer if it's okay to connect a 38 ohm load via the speaker taps. Also if it's a tube amp, doing so without placing a dummy resistor load between the tube amp and the HP is not recommended. Solid state amps are an exception. Hope that helps.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .