or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 120

post #1786 of 18030
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

Very cool.  This may pair well with my Dragonfly.  Which headphone cables are those or DIY?

 

It pairs wonderfully with the ODAC, so I'm sure the DragonFly will do just fine.  Heck, it sounds frighteningly good with my iPhone!  As long as the DAc is decent, this thing will pump your HE-500 full of clean current that will make your eyes pop (in a good way).

 

In order to hear why the HE-500 sounds mindbogglingly good with this amp, you'll need to run it off the amp's speaker taps (not the headphone out).  I had my stock, silver HE-500 cable re-terminated to banana plugs.  The cable plus into the amps speaker posts on the back.. and the sound is GLORIOUS.


Edited by FlySweep - 8/12/12 at 11:21pm
post #1787 of 18030
Good to see more people giving these speaker amps a try. "On paper" arguments don't apply.
post #1788 of 18030

+1 - "arguments don't apply ..." smile.gif

post #1789 of 18030

Got a loaner pair of these bad boys showing up next week, along with a loaner pair of HE-6.  It will be very interesting to have both in my possession to do some comparisons.  I just spent 2 weeks with the T1s, which, after long hard evaluation, I've determined that they are not for me.  There is no doubt they are spectacular headphones, but too many times that Beyer treble peak just did me in.  I can't justify the cost for a headphone that I can only use on a limited selection of my music.

 

Anyhow, I've been back to my HD650s, which still sound so great to my ears.  I'm very interested to hear the HE-500s because from all the descriptions, it sounds like HD650 lovers should fair well with the HE-500s.  I'll be powering both the HE-500s and HE-6 with my Lyr, which should be sufficient for the HE-500s, but probably only about 80% sufficient for the HE-6's, based on what I've been reading.

post #1790 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplice View Post

  I'm very interested to hear the HE-500s because from all the descriptions, it sounds like HD650 lovers should fair well with the HE-500s. 

Looks like I'm in the minority. HE-500 are the best phones I've heard to date and I absolutely hated the HD650. 

post #1791 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuceka View Post

Looks like I'm in the minority. HE-500 are the best phones I've heard to date and I absolutely hated the HD650. 

 

I actually had to buy the HD650s a second time before I loved them.  I had them for a few months, couldn't stand them.  Then about 2 years later, I just got this "craving" for them, feeling like I never gave them a real chance.  Now I'm glad I did, but I'm ready to look for an upgrade.

post #1792 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplice View Post

 

I actually had to buy the HD650s a second time before I loved them.  I had them for a few months, couldn't stand them.  Then about 2 years later, I just got this "craving" for them, feeling like I never gave them a real chance.  Now I'm glad I did, but I'm ready to look for an upgrade.

Cool. Maybe I should do the same :) But yes, you're making one of your best decisions to get the HE-500. I highly disagree with people who think that the HE-500 is rather a side-grade. IMHO, they're leagues ahead of the HD650. 

post #1793 of 18030

i've owned 3 pairs of the HE500 during the past year and they all seem to sound different in

frequency balance/characteristics.

 

the first unit was from early june of 2011 and they came with the thick canare cable. these

sounded pretty good, i thought; fantastic mid presence/liquid was what stuck out, albeit

with a bloomy/loose bass and a somewhat shouty treble that was tough to bear with

some pop/vocal material. i had it replaced in early july of this year due to the high

impedance issue. they measured 62 ohms, while they cite 38 ohms as the norm in

the manufacturers site.

 

the replacement unit exhibited tighter bass and less harsh treble but where did the fantastic

mids go? it was the pleather earpads. the first unit only came with the velour pads but these

replacement came with both the velour and pleather pads. i changed to the velour and it

made a big improvement and almost reminded of the sound from my first unit. the mids weren't as full and liquid as what i remembered from the first unit but what was

interesting was that the treble was less harsh than the earlier first unit. i tried all the

pop/vocal material that caused me to lower the volume dial on my amps before but

surprisingly, it wasn't necessary via the replacement. unfortunately, a slight channel

volume imbalance forced me to send them back for yet another replacement.

(thanks to the staff at head-direct for their courteous and prompt customer service.)

these drivers measured 47 and 49 ohms.

 

the second replacement sound amazing to these ears. they sound the most balanced in terms

of frequency; the bass has more detail than lcd2rev1 and rev2 but less impact. for example,

listening to the oxford choir and their recording of the nimrod variations i can clearly make out

the baritone and bass vocalists via the HE500 whereas the lcd2rev2 glosses over them by comparison; the mids sound as full as my first earlier unit to my delight; and with the velours

the trebles are tamed and so much more within the overall balance of the sound. these cans

sound amazingly close to the lcd2rev2, the latter having a deeper and more bass impact, whereas the HE500 has fuller mids and better mid-bass resolution. the lcd2 sound is

perfect for rock and some pop whereas the HE500 sounds right for vocal jazz and

classical pieces. this replacment measures 33.9 ohms for both drivers. i used a vintage

pioneer sa-9100 speaker amp.
 

i placed the velours earpads of an old akg k701 on the he500 and find the sound to

be exceptional with better comfort and seemingly larger soundstage effect. i think these

new unit is a keeper.


Edited by takezo - 8/15/12 at 8:33pm
post #1794 of 18030

I felt my HE-500 went through a channel imbalance.  For a week I listened making sure it was not my ears or the music.  I was going to return mine and then the imbalance went away.  I was thinking differential burn-in of each driver.  The levels are now equal and glad I held on to it.  In any case, I was curious to try the pleather pads again but maybe not.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takezo View Post

i've owned 3 pairs of the HE500 during the past year and they all seem to sound different in

frequency balance/characteristics.

 

surprisingly, it wasn't necessary via the replacement. unfortunately, a slight channel

volume imbalance forced me to send them back for yet another replacement.

(thanks to the staff at head-fi for their courteous and prompt customer service.)

these drivers measured 47 and 49 ohms.

post #1795 of 18030

i really only noticed the imbalance when i raised the volume. at lower settings it was difficult to notice.

but i'm glad i sent them back; the unit i have now is forcing me to reassess why i'm holding onto

the lcd2 cans...
 

post #1796 of 18030

2 week update. Initially, I was using my HE-500 with the leather pads because my velour hadn't been shipped. After 100+ hours, these headphones have finally started to sound like my old HE-500. The leather ear pads are so much more comfortable then the velour, forget the sweat and hotness of it. The clamping force seems to increase quite a bit with the velour pads on. With the leather pads, it was so much more comfortable on the ears and didn't feel anything. However the sound is definitely more natural like my old HE-500 with the velour pads. The leather pads somewhat killed the soundstage in width and blurred the imaging and made it more tunnelled and focused it to the centre. With the velour pads, everything is laid out better and seems much clearer with a larger soundstage width. If only I could get the sound of the velour pads with the comfort of the leather pads. 

post #1797 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

2 week update. Initially, I was using my HE-500 with the leather pads because my velour hadn't been shipped. After 100+ hours, these headphones have finally started to sound like my old HE-500. The leather ear pads are so much more comfortable then the velour, forget the sweat and hotness of it. The clamping force seems to increase quite a bit with the velour pads on. With the leather pads, it was so much more comfortable on the ears and didn't feel anything. However the sound is definitely more natural like my old HE-500 with the velour pads. The leather pads somewhat killed the soundstage in width and blurred the imaging and made it more tunnelled and focused it to the centre. With the velour pads, everything is laid out better and seems much clearer with a larger soundstage width. If only I could get the sound of the velour pads with the comfort of the leather pads. 


Ha, just suffered through a two week heat wave here and the leather pads got too hot.  I switched back to the velour pads and noticed  the same changes you did.  I thought I was getting delusional  blink.gif   Something else I noticed, the screen on the leather pads look darker and with a denser weave.  Just hold them up to the light and you can see the difference, at least with my set you can.  Hmmm, wonder if thats why the 500 sounds different with the velour/leather pads   

post #1798 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor34 View Post


Ha, just suffered through a two week heat wave here and the leather pads got too hot.  I switched back to the velour pads and noticed  the same changes you did.  I thought I was getting delusional  blink.gif   Something else I noticed, the screen on the leather pads look darker and with a denser weave.  Just hold them up to the light and you can see the difference, at least with my set you can.  Hmmm, wonder if thats why the 500 sounds different with the velour/leather pads   

 

Hmm not sure about the screen with my old HE-500. With the new HE-500, both of the earpads have the same dark colour and weave. Although I could notice that the newer pads are more smoother and less grainier then my old ones. Also I'm pretty sure they weren't the "old" ear pads either as classified on Headfonia. I think there might have been 3 stages of pad update, instead of the suggested 2. The HE-500 are no doubt better (and more natural) sounding with the velour. I would say the pads themselves make the difference by changing the acoustics of the environment.  

post #1799 of 18030

I have impedance difference between drivers, but I really dont hear any sound imbalance.

 

And I am really afraid of sending for replacement because I am very pleased with its sound right now.

 

 

Do you think, should I send or not?

post #1800 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanyuceer View Post

I have impedance difference between drivers, but I really dont hear any sound imbalance.

 

And I am really afraid of sending for replacement because I am very pleased with its sound right now.

 

 

Do you think, should I send or not?

How long have you had them? I've read a few times that there can be an audible imbalance with new orthos drivers but they normally sought themselves out over time. For me there was quite a change of sound over the first 50 hrs and more. If you can, I'd give them a bit more time. Try leaving them to play over night (or longer) with a low to moderate volume and check them again.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .