or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 116

post #1726 of 18021
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMZ250MX View Post

Ive desided to go with HE-500s but I'm struggling with choosing AMP/DAC for it.

What you guys recommend?

Mjolnir?WA6?Lyr?


I don't think anyone heard the Mjolnir yet but having heard both WA6 and the Lyr, my vote goes to the Lyr.

post #1727 of 18021

If you are after tubes, consider the Cyber 20 as well.

post #1728 of 18021
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJG888 View Post

If you are after tubes, consider the Cyber 20 as well.


Ha! Never heard of it before but I gotta say that's kind of a retarded design : )

post #1729 of 18021

I'll agree that it's no oil painting normal_smile%20.gif

 

It is, however, transformer coupled, and can put out 1W into 32 Ohms. This makes it suitable for use with low-impedance cans. If you go this route, though, please change the stock tubes - they hold it back in SQ terms!

post #1730 of 18021
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMZ250MX View Post

Ive desided to go with HE-500s but I'm struggling with choosing AMP/DAC for it.

What you guys recommend?

Mjolnir?WA6?Lyr?


I think the mjolnir would end up being the best choice. The extra power can definitely be beneficial. And I also believe the mjolnir was designed somewhat to accommodate the harder to drive planars.

post #1731 of 18021

V200 ;-)
 

post #1732 of 18021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel975 View Post

Here are my measurements: HE-500: L: 56.5Ω  R: 61Ω

 

 

 

Just about a month ago I sent my HE-500 in for replacement. The new ones came today and both drivers are measuring exactly 44Ω on my Radio Shack multimeter. The body of the headphone is a lighter color than the old one I had. The ear adjustment mechanism is also way easier to operate (not nearly as stiff as my old ones). Lastly, either I'm losing it or the headband has a bit more padding. I'm really not sure.

 

The RMA process was pretty easy, albeit slow. The only issue I had was that they typed my street address wrong on the return package. Luckily the FedEx guy was nice enough to call me and ask what the real address is. Disaster averted!

 

I haven't had a chance to listen to them, as I had to run off to work. I will get a chance later tonight.


Edited by Rebel975 - 7/24/12 at 3:27pm
post #1733 of 18021

Just got an Audio gd C2.2 amp to try with my HE500's, I had read that the newer version gives out 3 watts at 40 ohms. Not noticing that much difference in the mids and highs comparing my asgard and Xcan, perhaps a bit more confidence and speed in the mids.  But the lower frequencies are much better. The bass simply sounds more powerful, there is more texture to cellos, double bass etc. There also seems to be more control at the very lowest FR or this maybe because I'm hearing more of the bass now.

Anyways, this is a fabulous amp for the money and I can whole heartedly recommend it for the hifimans. Not burned in yet, but only after a couple of hours it has a very big and dynamic sound. Really filling the sound and soundstage out of the he500's. Seems to be blowing away those far to reach cobwebs that my (very nice) Asgard couldn't quite.  

post #1734 of 18021
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Just got an Audio gd C2.2 amp to try with my HE500's, I had read that the newer version gives out 3 watts at 40 ohms. Not noticing that much difference in the mids and highs comparing my asgard and Xcan, perhaps a bit more confidence and speed in the mids.  But the lower frequencies are much better. The bass simply sounds more powerful, there is more texture to cellos, double bass etc. There also seems to be more control at the very lowest FR or this maybe because I'm hearing more of the bass now.

Anyways, this is a fabulous amp for the money and I can whole heartedly recommend it for the hifimans. Not burned in yet, but only after a couple of hours it has a very big and dynamic sound. Really filling the sound and soundstage out of the he500's. Seems to be blowing away those far to reach cobwebs that my (very nice) Asgard couldn't quite.  

I have the same setup and I can suggest that you replace the stock op amps with their FET "Earth" op amps available from Audio gd. That really brings the 2.2 to another level. I also found that it takes long burn in with these do to all the wima caps. After about 100 hours I prefer it to my tube amp with the HE-500. I still love the tubes with my T1. Don't know about the 3 watts story but with the gain selector it can drive just about anything.Don't really think this amp gets enough credit it is really built like a tank and fantastic power supply.

post #1735 of 18021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

I have the same setup and I can suggest that you replace the stock op amps with their FET "Earth" op amps available from Audio gd. That really brings the 2.2 to another level. I also found that it takes long burn in with these do to all the wima caps. After about 100 hours I prefer it to my tube amp with the HE-500. I still love the tubes with my T1. Don't know about the 3 watts story but with the gain selector it can drive just about anything.Don't really think this amp gets enough credit it is really built like a tank and fantastic power supply.

Are the stocks easy to replace with the discrete options? is it just a case of plugging em in? as I might try them thanks. Wouldn't want the amp to be any warmer though, it seems to have a nice balance with the burr browns.

 

The original C2 and C2.1 both were 62 ohm: 1000MW 100 ohm: 1000MW

but the C2.2 is;

25 ohm : 4500MW
40 ohm: 3000MW
100 ohm: 1200MW
300ohm : 400MW
600 ohm: 200MW

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=audio%20gd%20c2.2&source=web&cd=28&ved=0CFkQFjAHOBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.audio-gd.com%2FPro%2FHeadphoneamp%2FC-2new%2FC2.2EN.htm&ei=_gMRUILTHcKW0QW0poDoCw&usg=AFQjCNHTGHenaNmlCwESuW22GySr6myrjg

No wonder it can drive anything!

post #1736 of 18021
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Are the stocks easy to replace with the discrete options? is it just a case of plugging em in? as I might try them thanks. Wouldn't want the amp to be any warmer though, it seems to have a nice balance with the burr browns.

 

The original C2 and C2.1 both were 62 ohm: 1000MW 100 ohm: 1000MW

but the C2.2 is;

25 ohm : 4500MW
40 ohm: 3000MW
100 ohm: 1200MW
300ohm : 400MW
600 ohm: 200MW

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=audio%20gd%20c2.2&source=web&cd=28&ved=0CFkQFjAHOBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.audio-gd.com%2FPro%2FHeadphoneamp%2FC-2new%2FC2.2EN.htm&ei=_gMRUILTHcKW0QW0poDoCw&usg=AFQjCNHTGHenaNmlCwESuW22GySr6myrjg

No wonder it can drive anything!

Yes, very easy to replace. They make 3 versions of the descrete op amps. I bought two of them to try with mine and as soon as I put in the "Earth" I know I had what I wanted from this amp. The modules come with a ground wire which must be fixed to a post next to the socket with a screw attached. It is just a matter of plugging it in and tightening the screw on the ground wire for each side. It is dual mono so you need two op amps. I also bought the "Moon" op amps but never even got to trying them. They are supposed to give more of a tube sound. Maybe some day I will plop them in just to see what they do. There is a very good picture on the Audio gd web site as to how these should be facing when they are installed. Basically, the ground wire must come out the back side for them to be inserted correctly. I was also impressed with the fact that they are very cheap for so much delicate hand work. Try it you will like it.
 

post #1737 of 18021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

Yes, very easy to replace. They make 3 versions of the descrete op amps. I bought two of them to try with mine and as soon as I put in the "Earth" I know I had what I wanted from this amp. The modules come with a ground wire which must be fixed to a post next to the socket with a screw attached. It is just a matter of plugging it in and tightening the screw on the ground wire for each side. It is dual mono so you need two op amps. I also bought the "Moon" op amps but never even got to trying them. They are supposed to give more of a tube sound. Maybe some day I will plop them in just to see what they do. There is a very good picture on the Audio gd web site as to how these should be facing when they are installed. Basically, the ground wire must come out the back side for them to be inserted correctly. I was also impressed with the fact that they are very cheap for so much delicate hand work. Try it you will like it.
 

thanks for that, I've just ordered some opa627bp's to try first as I got a bargain on them. Then I'll give the "earth" a try. If the amp sounds even better than it already does with these little mods, then I have to say this amp is a champ! 

post #1738 of 18021

I have lived with the HE500 for a 6 month now, and I guess the honeymoon is over. But still, when I sit back and look at her, I realize that I have made the right choice.

 

Her bottom end is fantastic, detailed and tight. Her upper body is balanced, natural and seductive. And last is the top, which is beautiful, glowing and always makes me smile.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Not to mention the sound is pretty decent too.
 

 

 

 

 

 

(I recommend  to check out O.S.I. with the album "Blood". Sounds great with the HE500)

post #1739 of 18021
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleaK View Post

I have lived with the HE500 for a 6 month now, and I guess the honeymoon is over. But still, when I sit back and look at her, I realize that I have made the right choice.

 

Her bottom end is fantastic, detailed and tight. Her upper body is balanced, natural and seductive. And last is the top, which is beautiful, glowing and always makes me smile.

 

 

Not to mention the sound is pretty decent too.

 

My wife will divorce me if I get another pair of headphones...but it sounds like if I get the HE500, I don't need to care!  wink.gif
 
post #1740 of 18021
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidPulse View Post

My wife will divorce me if I get another pair of headphones...but it sounds like if I get the HE500, I don't need to care!  wink.gif
 
You could get a pair or ElectrostaticSPEAKERS by Stax. wink.gif

I just tried HE-500 with Crack otl tube amp and I know somebody said the combo sucks but I love it. The bass is intense, in a good way. They have become slightly brighter but that is no issue with HE-500.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .