So, I just got mine and here are my very early, right on the head impressions
- The sound is very cohesive and "real" if that makes any sense.
- Instrumental separation is good, if not particularly better than the Beyers.
- THE BASS IS AWESOME.
- Vocals sound good, very natural
- There doesn't seem to be any part of the sound that's over-emphasized. Everything is very even.
- There's a veil. I don't like that at all. In fact, I'd say that detail retrieval is lower than the Beyers.
- They're much less comfortable than the Beyers, though I am getting used to them.
I'll give them some time. I think I may learn that detail retrieval is really, really important to me, moreso than I thought before. This might push me towards the HD800 if I end up not liking the sound signature. I mean, if I see a pair in the forums for about $1k, I may pick them up just to try them out. Their supposed lack of bass may be a deal breaker, though.
You may try temporary removing the back black protecting mesh and check if this removes what you describe as 'veil'.