or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 110

post #1636 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post

So, I just got mine and here are my very early, right on the head impressions

 

Good

- The sound is very cohesive and "real" if that makes any sense.  

- Instrumental separation is good, if not particularly better than the Beyers.

- THE BASS IS AWESOME.

- Vocals sound good, very natural

- There doesn't seem to be any part of the sound that's over-emphasized. Everything is very even.

 

Bad

- There's a veil. I don't like that at all. In fact, I'd say that detail retrieval is lower than the Beyers. 

- They're much less comfortable than the Beyers, though I am getting used to them.

 

I'll give them some time. I think I may learn that detail retrieval is really, really important to me, moreso than I thought before. This might push me towards the HD800 if I end up not liking the sound signature. I mean, if I see a pair in the forums for about $1k, I may pick them up just to try them out. Their supposed lack of bass may be a deal breaker, though.

You may try temporary removing the back black protecting mesh and check if this removes what you describe as 'veil'. 

post #1637 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

 

 

What amp are you using them with? A veil doesn't sound correct imo. Did you measure them already?

 

I'm using an O2 at 2.5x gain, which is providing adequate volume at about 1-3 o'clock for most recordings. I'll be swapping in some new gain resistors, though, to up that 2.5 to something like 3.0 just to give myself a little more space.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

 

Exactly, they are like D and T compared. Just saw he uses an O2, I rest my case (no offense) :)

Seriously, the O2 imo can't get out the He-500 what a V200 or any more powerful amp can

 

 

I just looked at the V200. It has good specs, but it doesn't appear to have had any independent testing done on it. It's also $1,000. I'm sure it's a fine amp, but that's a lot.


Edited by evanft - 7/5/12 at 1:08pm
post #1638 of 18029
You may want to pick up a XLR speaker tap to mate with the stock XLR cord and connect to speaker outs of an amp/receiver just to take any question of power out if the picture. They're only $20-50 and I can point you in a couple of different directions for options via PM if you'd like.

If it still isn't doing it for detail or veil-removal-wise, I would see if you could get your hands on the HE-5LE's, which are audibly more detailed to me. You may give up a bit of midrange liquid smoothness, but based on my experience (I have both but more headtime with 5LE), you'll get back more detail of that detail. I saw a pair going for $350 on the FS forums.

The HE-500's are more polite and perhaps better balanced, but the HE-5LE's are more dynamic and detailed to my ears.
post #1639 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by captouch View Post

You may want to pick up a XLR speaker tap to mate with the stock XLR cord and connect to speaker outs of an amp/receiver just to take any question of power out if the picture. They're only $20-50 and I can point you in a couple of different directions for options via PM if you'd like.
If it still isn't doing it for detail or veil-removal-wise, I would see if you could get your hands on the HE-5LE's, which are audibly more detailed to me. You may give up a bit of midrange liquid smoothness, but based on my experience (I have both but more headtime with 5LE), you'll get back more detail of that detail. I saw a pair going for $350 on the FS forums.
The HE-500's are more polite and perhaps better balanced, but the HE-5LE's are more dynamic and detailed to my ears.

 

My cable isn't the XLR one. It's wired directly from the driver connectors to the stereo jack.

 

I maybe shouldn't have used the phrase veil. I'm coming from the DT880, which is a detailed, somewhat bright headphone. So maybe the detail I think I'm losing is really just increased brightness from the DT880, which gives you that "fake" detail.

post #1640 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post

My cable isn't the XLR one. It's wired directly from the driver connectors to the stereo jack.

I maybe shouldn't have used the phrase veil. I'm coming from the DT880, which is a detailed, somewhat bright headphone. So maybe the detail I think I'm losing is really just increased brightness from the DT880, which gives you that "fake" detail.
Has it been wired liked that by the factory?
post #1641 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post

Has it been wired liked that by the factory?

Yes.
post #1642 of 18029

Other then trying to find a way to get them some more juice give yourself some time to get used to them.  I hear more detail on these compared to my T1's.

post #1643 of 18029

HE-5LE are harder to drive than the HE-500, I don't see the point of him trying them with his current set up. 

 

I got to hear HD800 at our recent Dallas meat from Cavalli Liquid Fire ($2400?) and Bryston amp. And thank God I did because I no longer have any desire to buy them. My HE-500 with Schiit Lyr are much more enjoyable than the setups that would cost x3 more. The only thing that I thought HD800 were better was the soundstage, other than that HE-500 are hands down the winners for me. Man do I hate Sennheisers :P :) 

post #1644 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuceka View Post

HE-5LE are harder to drive than the HE-500, I don't see the point of him trying them with his current set up. 

 

I got to hear HD800 at our recent Dallas meat from Cavalli Liquid Fire ($2400?) and Bryston amp. And thank God I did because I no longer have any desire to buy them. My HE-500 with Schiit Lyr are much more enjoyable than the setups that would cost x3 more. The only thing that I thought HD800 were better was the soundstage, other than that HE-500 are hands down the winners for me. Man do I hate Sennheisers :P :) 

 

Right, I agree not to try the HE-5LE's with the O2, but I suggested he try speaker taps first with HE-500's and if that didn't work out, consider the 5LE's.  5LE's with speaker taps should be fine.

post #1645 of 18029

They've had a little more time to burn in, and they seem to be opening up. Definitely hearing more detail and depth than before. Again, the vocals and bass stand out as being particularly awesome.

 

If I want more power, I'd think I'd go the speaker receiver/amp route rather than a dedicated headphone amp. I mean, you can get a stereo receiver for less than $200, but it seems like a headphone amp with adequate power costs an arm and a leg. So, does anyone know of a cheap receiver that has specs comparable to an O2? I really like the way this amp sounds, but more power would be nice.


Edited by evanft - 7/5/12 at 8:04pm
post #1646 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post

They've had a little more time to burn in, and they seem to be opening up. Definitely hearing more detail and depth than before. Again, the vocals and bass stand out as being particularly awesome.

 

If I want more power, I'd think I'd go the speaker receiver/amp route rather than a dedicated headphone amp. I mean, you can get a stereo receiver for less than $200, but it seems like a headphone amp with adequate power costs an arm and a leg. So, does anyone know of a cheap receiver that has specs comparable to an O2? I really like the way this amp sounds, but more power would be nice.

You really don't need that much power for the HE-500. Anything that can output 2W per channel would be more than enough.

post #1647 of 18029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuceka View Post

You really don't need that much power for the HE-500. Anything that can output 2W per channel would be more than enough.

 

I agree 2WPC is great with HE-500, but I'm listening right now with 1/4 that in my Woo WA6 and I'm still enjoying them.  They do sound/feel more authoritative with my EF5 amp, but the WA6 is a little more detailed and spacious and when listening quietly at night it's powerful enough.  I'm still not sure how I feel about using them with any portable amp except my balanced SR-71b which is more powerful than the WA6 and rock with them.  I bought a special Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable just to use them balanced with the SR-71b.

post #1648 of 18029

For what it's worth, I have found the HE-500s to work well with the Opera Consonance Cyber 20 (and I believe a few other contributors are using this combination). The Opera puts out about 1W into the HE-500s 38-or-so Ohms. I would, however, recommend changing the stock tubes (which are not up to much). Psvane EL-84Ts work well as output tubes. For the driver valve (ECC82) there are NOS options to suit most tastes and pockets. I use a Mullard CV4003.

post #1649 of 18029

Honestly, if I was going to upgrade my amp, tube amps would be completely off the table. I don't like them and made a conscious decision to avoid them a couple years ago. Besides, I don't think I'd like the sound signature of the HE-500 paired with a tube amp.

 

I think a stereo receiver with similar FR, noise, THD, etc. specs to the O2 would be ideal.

post #1650 of 18029

That is a lot of thinking. rolleyes.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .