Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 1082

post #16216 of 16222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansotek View Post

If you haven't done Jerg's excellent Fuzzor Mod yet, I'd recommend starting there. That will remove the ringing in the midrange, which improves clarity and separation quite a bit.

You didn't mention which pads you were using... I'm guessing stock leather or velour. The production FocusPad from the HE560 will probably disappoint you because you will lose some bass. However, the preproduction version, "FocusPad-A" will probably suit your needs quite nicely.

How difficult is it to do the Fuzzor Mod?

I tried to PM Jerg abou the pads if he is selling since from what I read Modular is "MIA". No response from Jerg.

Yes I'm using the stock.
So the next best alternative is the Preproduction A-Pads?
post #16217 of 16222
Quote:
Originally Posted by snip3r77 View Post


How difficult is it to do the Fuzzor Mod?

I tried to PM Jerg abou the pads if he is selling since from what I read Modular is "MIA". No response from Jerg.

Yes I'm using the stock.
So the next best alternative is the Preproduction A-Pads?

 

It isn't so much as difficult as it is time consuming.  To do it neat and clean, it will take some time and effort.  It really isn't that hard to do.

 

I've mentioned before, but I am surprised at the difference the Fuzzor mod has made.  I held off doing it because I knew it was going to take some effort to do (and I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I couldn't do it sloppy).  But I am so glad I did.

 

The Fuzzor Mode + Grill Mod + FocusPad-A has transformed these into a pair of headphones that I don't think I can sell.

 

 

And regarding the Jerg Pads...I don't think he actually ever made them to sell himself (I could be wrong on that).  I believe he came up with the idea and put out the guides but didn't take orders to make them or anything.  That was Modular.

post #16218 of 16222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSire View Post
 

 

It isn't so much as difficult as it is time consuming.  To do it neat and clean, it will take some time and effort.  It really isn't that hard to do.

 

I've mentioned before, but I am surprised at the difference the Fuzzor mod has made.  I held off doing it because I knew it was going to take some effort to do (and I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I couldn't do it sloppy).  But I am so glad I did.

 

The Fuzzor Mode + Grill Mod + FocusPad-A has transformed these into a pair of headphones that I don't think I can sell.

 

 

And regarding the Jerg Pads...I don't think he actually ever made them to sell himself (I could be wrong on that).  I believe he came up with the idea and put out the guides but didn't take orders to make them or anything.  That was Modular.

 

Yep, the step-by-step guide is still floating around out there.  

 

I have a pair, and they are awesome.

post #16219 of 16222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSire View Post

It isn't so much as difficult as it is time consuming.  To do it neat and clean, it will take some time and effort.  It really isn't that hard to do.

I've mentioned before, but I am surprised at the difference the Fuzzor mod has made.  I held off doing it because I knew it was going to take some effort to do (and I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I couldn't do it sloppy).  But I am so glad I did.

The Fuzzor Mode + Grill Mod + FocusPad-A has transformed these into a pair of headphones that I don't think I can sell.


And regarding the Jerg Pads...I don't think he actually ever made them to sell himself (I could be wrong on that).  I believe he came up with the idea and put out the guides but didn't take orders to make them or anything.  That was Modular.

Which one is more difficult? Grill or Fuzzor ?

Easiest is dumping $39 on the Apads I think smily_headphones1.gif
post #16220 of 16222
Quote:
Originally Posted by snip3r77 View Post


Which one is more difficult? Grill or Fuzzor ?

Easiest is dumping $39 on the Apads I think smily_headphones1.gif

Fuzzor is definitely more time consuming but much more dramatic than grill mod. My grill mod took max 20 min. I used a pair of black wire fan guards, pop the retention bezel off, trim the 4 spokes to fit just snug within inner frame, flatten the end with vice or mallet so retention ring will go back on and done. Search my pics for end result and search for Fuzzor mod thread. As stated previously you need the right felt,

a quality pair of Fiscors scissors and time and lots of patience. But it's no stress.  The felt will peel right back off if you make a mistake.

post #16221 of 16222
Quote:
Originally Posted by snip3r77 View Post

Easiest is dumping $39 on the Apads I think smily_headphones1.gif

 

If you are already paying $39 for the Focus-A pads, I would suggest spend a little bit more $80 for a pair of Audeze Vegan pads and never look back.

post #16222 of 16222
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego View Post

If you are already paying $39 for the Focus-A pads, I would suggest spend a little bit more $80 for a pair of Audeze Vegan pads and never look back.

Improvement in comfort or in sonic?
Any reviews for the Vegans ?

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .