Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 1031

post #15451 of 15457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansotek View Post


I think what he was trying to say, is that the headphones have decent sensitivity and don't sound totally uncontrolled when they are underpowered. Supplying the proper amount of power (2w /ch) brings out the full bass and dynamic authority of the headphone.

I don't think that you need 2W/ch to get the HE-500's to perform. Look up the sensitivity of the HE-500's and do the math.

post #15452 of 15457
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansotek View Post

I think what he was trying to say, is that the headphones have decent sensitivity and don't sound totally uncontrolled when they are underpowered. Supplying the proper amount of power (2w /ch) brings out the full bass and dynamic authority of the headphone.
I don't think that you need 2W/ch to get the HE-500's to perform. Look up the sensitivity of the HE-500's and do the math.
As I said, they're decently sensitive, and sound pretty good even if they aren't fully powered. I believe HiFiMan recommends 2w /ch for optimum performance.
post #15453 of 15457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansotek View Post


As I said, they're decently sensitive, and sound pretty good even if they aren't fully powered. I believe HiFiMan recommends 2w /ch for optimum performance.

At one point Hifiman recommended 1W and then removed any wattage specification, They recommmended their EF-5 Amp for the HE-500. That amp starts clipping below 1W.

post #15454 of 15457

I was going to give the EF-5 a try until I took a closer look not really all that great from what I've read it takes a lot of modding to get a good sounding amp. Take a look over here -->http://www.head-fi.org/t/711004/hifiman-ef-5-headphone-amplifier-mods-and-rolls

 

I will agree it is a very cool looking little amp maybe someday HiFiMan will give it an overhaul..

post #15455 of 15457

I've never heard Frank Sinatra in depth until now. I can't believe how amazing his voice is, and being introduced with the HE-500 gave such a stunning impression that I couldn't stop listening. The bass and midrange of these cans is so full and detailed I just can't stop listening!

post #15456 of 15457
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvolt View Post
 

I was going to give the EF-5 a try until I took a closer look not really all that great from what I've read it takes a lot of modding to get a good sounding amp. Take a look over here -->http://www.head-fi.org/t/711004/hifiman-ef-5-headphone-amplifier-mods-and-rolls

 

I will agree it is a very cool looking little amp maybe someday HiFiMan will give it an overhaul..

Why bother as there are plenty of good amps out there that can deliver great sound without its owner having to go through any gymnastics. You saw that distortion curve, I don't think this dog is going to run.

post #15457 of 15457
I know I mentioned it before but I really love what the Corda Classic does with the HE-500. It has plenty of power, in excess of 2W at the HE-500 impedance... the clarity is just beautiful. And with the crossfeed, on the right track, it completely changes the soundstage and imaging for the better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .