or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 101

post #1501 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel975 View Post

jerg: yeah, 2 weeks sounds about right.

 

Btw, I found this quote: "Got a reply from Fang. +/- 25% in impeance fine, sound quality will not change much." I'm +48.6% in the left driver and +60.5% in the right. Lol

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/594111/has-hifiman-upgraded-downgraded-the-he500-drivers/15

 

I didn't notice this before, very important info, thank you. So, I guess, anything more than +/- 25%  is eligible for replacement.

Limits for channel imbalance must be, then, even lower than +/- 25%.

 

This means that any resistance more than 48 Ohm and less than 30 Ohm is out of manufacturer specs. Lots of measurements that I have seen here are out!

post #1502 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by floorpug View Post

Got my HE500s today and I'm not sure if I like them..
Out of the box, they controlled sub-bass superbly.. and the mids were creamy... but the >~2kHz, the frequencies seemed a bit nasal and recessed to me.

After I applied an eq in Foobar, the sound is a fair bit better; less nasal and more highs... but I'm not convinced these are 5x better than the Shure SRH840s which are now only $149AU.

I will check the Impedance of the drivers with my friend's multimeter, will burn the HE500s in for at least 50 hours, then will take them to addicted to audio to compare them with the LCD3, SRH840s and grado RS1s with accompanying EQs..
I only committed myself to spending $700 knowing that I have 30 days to try them.
3.jpg

 

Try to only listen to the HE500 for a week straight, then go back to the Shure 840, then you will hear the difference.

 

Also, audio can't be measured exactly by cost, the diminishing return hits really hard after you go over the 200-300usd range. You are not paying for a headphone 5x time better, you are paying for a extra 10-20% (or so) better music quality and enjoyment.

 

My HE500 did not blew my mind when I first got them, actually I was a little disappointed in them. I gave it try anyhow and listened to them for a few days straight, and it was after that it dawned on me: "These are the most natural sounding headphone I have ever heard!"

 

And to this day, six months or so after, they still are the best headphone I have heard to date. These cans are going nowhere! :)

post #1503 of 18022

To me the HE-500 are the most balanced headphone. My other main headphone is HD800 and HE-500 pros over it are: not as bright, fuller mids, fuller and stronger bass. Everything in perfect quantities. L3000.gif

post #1504 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post

To me the HE-500 are the most balanced headphone. My other main headphone is HD800 and HE-500 pros over it are: not as bright, fuller mids, fuller and stronger bass. Everything in perfect quantities. L3000.gif

 

 

just what i needed to hear!

 

 

putting my RS1i and Pro 900 up for sale right now since i don't listen to them as much. its a hard decision to get rid of my RS1i  since they're absolutely awesome and i like their sound, but i can't justify keeping when LCD-2 and T1 are millions of miles better. hope the HE-500 will find themselves at home and complement the rest of my high end pairs (LCD-2, T1, HD 800, D7000)

getting ready to join the HE-500 club beerchug.gif


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 6/21/12 at 10:50am
post #1505 of 18022
The RS-1s on a portable is still worth keeping. biggrin.gif
post #1506 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

 

just what i needed to hear!

 

 

putting my RS1i and Pro 900 up for sale right now since i don't listen to them as much. its a hard decision to get rid of my RS1i  since they're absolutely awesome and i like their sound, but i can't justify keeping when LCD-2 and T1 are millions of miles better. hope the HE-500 will find themselves at home and complement the rest of my high end pairs (LCD-2, T1, HD 800, D7000)

getting ready to join the HE-500 club beerchug.gif


Also food for thought.  The LCD-2 and T-1 may be a million miles better but neither are the sound of an RS-1.  I don't know why but it's a headphone that isn't the greatest but its unique sound is worth coming back to every now and then.

post #1507 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

 

just what i needed to hear!

 

 

putting my RS1i and Pro 900 up for sale right now since i don't listen to them as much. its a hard decision to get rid of my RS1i  since they're absolutely awesome and i like their sound, but i can't justify keeping when LCD-2 and T1 are millions of miles better. hope the HE-500 will find themselves at home and complement the rest of my high end pairs (LCD-2, T1, HD 800, D7000)

getting ready to join the HE-500 club beerchug.gif

 

ahhhh nice~  I think you'll really enjoy the HE-500!

 

 

On another note I just received my MHDT Labs Havana DAC.  Right now I'm running it into the LD MKII Amplifier, very very soon to be a Decware Taboo.  The added qualities of the DAC, most notable being an increased soundsage and accurate timbre and well, they really did something great to my HE-500!  I bought the havana used with some other tubes but it sounds so good I'm not sure if I will roll or not.  Probably will out of curiosity at some point soon  I'm very pleased and curious to see what the taboo will bring as well.  The HE-500 really seems to be the perfect phone for me.


Edited by Llloyd - 6/21/12 at 1:55pm
post #1508 of 18022

Measured my HE-500 tonight (at the TRS of a 7N silver cable made by Chris_Himself)..

 

L: 53.5 ohms

R: 53.6 ohms

 

Not bad.


Edited by FlySweep - 6/22/12 at 3:50am
post #1509 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llloyd View Post

 

ahhhh nice~  I think you'll really enjoy the HE-500!

 

 

On another note I just received my MHDT Labs Havana DAC.  Right now I'm running it into the LD MKII Amplifier, very very soon to be a Decware Taboo.  The added qualities of the DAC, most notable being an increased soundsage and accurate timbre and well, they really did something great to my HE-500!  I bought the havana used with some other tubes but it sounds so good I'm not sure if I will roll or not.  Probably will out of curiosity at some point soon  I'm very pleased and curious to see what the taboo will bring as well.  The HE-500 really seems to be the perfect phone for me.

 

sweet

 

ill be using my WA6-SE with the DL III DAC

 

ive heard that the WA6-SE should power them well.

post #1510 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

Measured my HE-500 tonight (at the TRS of a 7N silver cable made by Chris_Himself)..

 

L: 53.5 ohms

R: 53.6 ohms

 

Not bad.

 

 

Channel balance is excellent, but according to this:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel975 View Post

Btw, I found this quote: "Got a reply from Fang. +/- 25% in impeance fine, sound quality will not change much.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/594111/has-hifiman-upgraded-downgraded-the-he500-drivers/15

 

 

your HE-500 is out of manufacturer specs! Specs define impedance as 38 Ohms, so 53 Ohms is 40% more!!! 

post #1511 of 18022

His drivers are so well matched; it had to of been on purpose. It would be interesting to hear his HE-500 vs one that's exactly 38 ohms.

post #1512 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

sweet

 

ill be using my WA6-SE with the DL III DAC

 

ive heard that the WA6-SE should power them well.

 

yeah it should have plenty.  I was really torn between the taboo and the wa6SE, eventually went with the taboo due to frank's review and its ability to power speakers.  I love woo amplifiers though smily_headphones1.gif

post #1513 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llloyd View Post

 

yeah it should have plenty.  I was really torn between the taboo and the wa6SE, eventually went with the taboo due to frank's review and its ability to power speakers.  I love woo amplifiers though smily_headphones1.gif

 

While I love the WA6 SEm... with... typical dynamic phones... it was not OK with the HE-500's I had.  They... really... want a lot more powa!!!

post #1514 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradofan2 View Post

 

While I love the WA6 SEm... with... typical dynamic phones... it was not OK with the HE-500's I had.  They... really... want a lot more powa!!!

You had your volume pot turned all the way to the right?

post #1515 of 18022

so the 2 Watt  WA6-SE is a no?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .