Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 970

post #14536 of 14687
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego View Post
 

 

Thanks! Then I shall proceed to get some ultra thin gauge silver wires to make myself some replacement cables. The stock cable sounds nice but the microphonic is just too much.

Perhaps putting a sleeve around the cable you already have would solve the issue for you. Maybe Paracord has sleeving that would help. Thurston probably knows what to get.

post #14537 of 14687
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Perhaps putting a sleeve around the cable you already have would solve the issue for you. Maybe Paracord has sleeving that would help. Thurston probably knows what to get.

 

I only sleeved my original HE-500 cable with Techflex noise reduction stuff.  It didn't really solve the problem, just reduced it a bit.  The cable is still quite stiff, due to the Teflon coating.  If I were inclined to use that cable and redo the sleeving, I'd probably opt for 550 paracord, esp. from the Y split to the cans.  That might offer enough room inside to really dull the microphonics.  I know with an AKG cable I made that with the paracord pulled too tightly around the wires, it's microphonic.  That's what I base my guess on.

 

Now you make me want to redo that cable!

 

FWIW, sleeving the stock HE-500 cable is kind of a PITA.  You really need to snip it, add the sleeving in both directions, rig something to hide the Y split (e.g., a ballpoint pen tube), heat shrink... oh yeah, and re-solder after busting out the multi-meter and marking the wires.  I did it because it was a good test project.  And now I use my DIY cables exclusively.  LOL.

post #14538 of 14687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

I only sleeved my original HE-500 cable with Techflex noise reduction stuff.  It didn't really solve the problem, just reduced it a bit.  The cable is still quite stiff, due to the Teflon coating.  If I were inclined to use that cable and redo the sleeving, I'd probably opt for 550 paracord, esp. from the Y split to the cans.  That might offer enough room inside to really dull the microphonics.  I know with an AKG cable I made that with the paracord pulled too tightly around the wires, it's microphonic.  That's what I base my guess on.

 

Now you make me want to redo that cable!

 

FWIW, sleeving the stock HE-500 cable is kind of a PITA.  You really need to snip it, add the sleeving in both directions, rig something to hide the Y split (e.g., a ballpoint pen tube), heat shrink... oh yeah, and re-solder after busting out the multi-meter and marking the wires.  I did it because it was a good test project.  And now I use my DIY cables exclusively.  LOL.

Seriously, you should consider making custom cables. I'll bet Hifi wants one.

post #14539 of 14687
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Seriously, you should consider making custom cables. I'll bet Hifi wants one.

 

It'd take too much time and effort to really perfect the process and offer all the different sorts of cables people would want.  I enjoy it as a challenge from which I derive some direct benefit.  Also, there are so many cable companies out there, they can have that territory.  I'll continue to be the "teach a man to fish" sort of DIYer.

 

Still, I'm copyrighting Magick Monkey Cables, and if I see it out there, anywhere, I'll be on the warpath ;)

post #14540 of 14687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

It'd take too much time and effort to really perfect the process and offer all the different sorts of cables people would want.  I enjoy it as a challenge from which I derive some direct benefit.  Also, there are so many cable companies out there, they can have that territory.  I'll continue to be the "teach a man to fish" sort of DIYer.

 

Still, I'm copyrighting Magick Monkey Cables, and if I see it out there, anywhere, I'll be on the warpath ;)

Maybe you can provide some standard models for specific cans and avoid all the customization hassles, other than length. There is the FS forum as a sales vehicle. Could be a means of feeding your problem with HAS (Headphone Acquisition Syndrome).

post #14541 of 14687

Do you guys think it might be possible to mount the HE-500 drivers on the new 400i/560 headband? That would be a fantastic upgrade comfort-wise.

post #14542 of 14687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espresto View Post
 

Do you guys think it might be possible to mount the HE-500 drivers on the new 400i/560 headband? That would be a fantastic upgrade comfort-wise.

 

I doubt it.  If it were possible, wouldn't HFM have said the new headband/suspension system would work on the HE-500s?  They stated it will not work.

post #14543 of 14687

I mean, it might not be a direct replacement, but if the cup dimensions re the same I seems like it could be done. 

post #14544 of 14687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

I doubt it.  If it were possible, wouldn't HFM have said the new headband/suspension system would work on the HE-500s?  They stated it will not work.

Makes one wonder about comfort mods for the HE-500's. Well, get moving dude.

post #14545 of 14687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espresto View Post
 

I mean, it might not be a direct replacement, but if the cup dimensions re the same I seems like it could be done. 

 

We look forward to your experiments :)

post #14546 of 14687
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Makes one wonder about comfort mods for the HE-500's. Well, get moving dude.

 

Neck exercises and custom pads :darthsmile:  and red grills ;)  I've been wearing the HE-500s for better than a week, often for a couple hours or more, and with my microsuede pads, I find them very comfortable.  They don't disappear like the HE-560s do, but I'm no inclined to install the pulley system or pony up for a tank of helium.

post #14547 of 14687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

Neck exercises and custom pads :darthsmile:  and red grills ;)  I've been wearing the HE-500s for better than a week, often for a couple hours or more, and with my microsuede pads, I find them very comfortable.  They don't disappear like the HE-560s do, but I'm no inclined to install the pulley system or pony up for a tank of helium.

How about a thin strip of foam on the inside of the headband or is that a fool's errand?

post #14548 of 14687
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

How about a thin strip of foam on the inside of the headband or is that a fool's errand?

 

It's not going to lessen the weight, and I don't see how it helps with any fitting issues.  I have one of those snap-on headband pads, but for me the fit is better without it, and the headband is padded.  Also, my pads and head don't leave much room for additional padding.

 

But everyone's different, so it may be worth the effort.  It's certainly simple enough to try.

post #14549 of 14687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

It's not going to lessen the weight, and I don't see how it helps with any fitting issues.  I have one of those snap-on headband pads, but for me the fit is better without it, and the headband is padded.  Also, my pads and head don't leave much room for additional padding.

 

But everyone's different, so it may be worth the effort.  It's certainly simple enough to try.

So maybe it's up to perfecting a sky hook for the HE-500's?

post #14550 of 14687

I'll email Hifiman and see if it might be possible to buy a headband assembly separately. I doubt it is though, and I'm definitely not going to cannibalize a 560 or 400i. I could claim I own one of the new models and my headband broke, but that seems disingenuous. If I can get ahold of the headband, I'll give it a try.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .