or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 965

post #14461 of 16689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramus View Post

I really wonder how much we could reduce the weight of the he-500, without affecting the sound too much. I'm still going to wait on an he-6 successor or second hand before going to the 560, even though all the reviews are positive, at least not until a price drop. Really more curious how the 400i turns out.

 

As you hinted, the only way is to redesign them.  I haven't read any comparisons of the HE-400i vs. the HE-500s, but I'm really curious.  Once I've modded and burned in my new HE-500s (and they seem new, not refurbished, though they could be; have that "new cans" smell ;)), I'll do some semi-serious comparisons with the HE-560s.  Just putting on the 500s to make sure they work OK, they weight was shocking after wearing the 560s.  And those velour pads!  Brutal, just brutal.

post #14462 of 16689
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I'll take a guess that most of the weight is due to the magnets, which you really don't want to mess with.

 

Yeah, from a DIY standpoint, I don't see there's much to be done.  I'm sure the bulk of the weight is due to the magnets.

post #14463 of 16689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

As you hinted, the only way is to redesign them.  I haven't read any comparisons of the HE-400i vs. the HE-500s, but I'm really curious.  Once I've modded and burned in my new HE-500s (and they seem new, not refurbished, though they could be; have that "new cans" smell ;)), I'll do some semi-serious comparisons with the HE-560s.  Just putting on the 500s to make sure they work OK, they weight was shocking after wearing the 560s.  And those velour pads!  Brutal, just brutal.

You sure that the smell wasn't from the previous owner's earwax?

post #14464 of 16689
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

I'll take a guess that most of the weight is due to the magnets, which you really don't want to mess with.

Of course the driver comprises the majority of the weight, but maybe we could reduce the other materials, maybe a lighter headband. I mean I really have no complaints about the weight or comfort really, I tolerate it. Just curious how much room to play is there, if the drivers are 90% of the equation not much we can do, but if they are only 60%, maybe we could shave off 100g or so, I would say that'd be stellar.
post #14465 of 16689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramus View Post


Of course the driver comprises the majority of the weight, but maybe we could reduce the other materials, maybe a lighter headband. I mean I really have no complaints about the weight or comfort really, I tolerate it. Just curious how much room to play is there, if the drivers are 90% of the equation not much we can do, but if they are only 60%, maybe we could shave off 100g or so, I would say that'd be stellar.

There's not much to the headband. I wouldn't want to start messing with the cups. I have a feeling that the magnets are by far the biggest culprit. Some people put foam under the headband and feel better about that. Worth a try?

post #14466 of 16689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

As you hinted, the only way is to redesign them.  I haven't read any comparisons of the HE-400i vs. the HE-500s, but I'm really curious.  Once I've modded and burned in my new HE-500s (and they seem new, not refurbished, though they could be; have that "new cans" smell ;)), I'll do some semi-serious comparisons with the HE-560s.  Just putting on the 500s to make sure they work OK, they weight was shocking after wearing the 560s.  And those velour pads!  Brutal, just brutal.

 

May I ask you to do the 560/500 with the Focus pad on the 500? I am now using the Focus pads the HE-500 and it is miles ahead in terms of comfort compare to the stone hard stock velour pads. I am interested in the HE-560 and would like to know a fair comparison with the HE-500 with both open grid and Focus pads.

 

But I will suppress my GAS for now and wait for another 3 years till they discount the HE-560 like the HE-500 now. Given all the quality issues and revision histories of all other HIFIMAN phones, I have learnt the best way/time to buy any HIFIMAN phone is to buy a slightly used pair at time of discounted price.

post #14467 of 16689
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego View Post
 

May I ask you to do the 560/500 with the Focus pad on the 500? I am now using the Focus pads the HE-500 and it is miles ahead in terms of comfort compare to the stone hard stock velour pads. I am interested in the HE-560 and would like to know a fair comparison with the HE-500 with both open grid and Focus pads.

 

But I will suppress my GAS for now and wait for another 3 years till they discount the HE-560 like the HE-500 now. Given all the quality issues and revision histories of all other HIFIMAN phones, I have learnt the best way/time to buy any HIFIMAN phone is to buy a slightly used pair at time of discounted price.

 

Sure, but it'll be a few days.  While the FocusPads are indeed better than the old velours, I still find them far too small and cramped for my ears.  I'll try to do a fair listen with FocusPads on both, though.

post #14468 of 16689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

Sure, but it'll be a few days.  While the FocusPads are indeed better than the old velours, I still find them far too small and cramped for my ears.  I'll try to do a fair listen with FocusPads on both, though.

 

Thanks! I am also waiting for the Q701 pads from Soundsgoodtome to arrive and then I shall try them on the HE-500. I think the Q701 pads are the pads with the largest opening. For now I will settle with the Focus Pads as they are comfortable.

 

I have already thought of a way to make 4 clips with plastic sheet to clip the Q701 pads to the HE-500.

post #14469 of 16689
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego View Post
 

Thanks! I am also waiting for the Q701 pads from Soundsgoodtome to arrive and then I shall try them on the HE-500. I think the Q701 pads are the pads with the largest opening. For now I will settle with the Focus Pads as they are comfortable.

 

I have already thought of a way to make 4 clips with plastic sheet to clip the Q701 pads to the HE-500.

 

re: the Q701 pads, they're definitely the largest I've found.  I butchered mine to create pads for the HE-560s (stock, they don't fit under the yokes), but they're a little on the dark side sound-wise.  Still, they make for a nice alternative.  The Q701 pads are quite firm (I wouldn't say stiff, like the HFM velours), but for me they made the HE-500s sound their best.  YMMV, of course.  If neither of my homemade pads work out with my HE-500s, I'll be ordering another pair of Q701 pads for sure.

 

Good luck adapting the Q701 pads to the HE-500s.  I went the simple route and just stuck them to the HFM mounting rings using carpet tape.  They were rock solid, but beware that it's a fairly permanent solution.  If you're just experimenting, simple double-sided tape will work temporarily.

 

Enjoy!

post #14470 of 16689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post

As you hinted, the only way is to redesign them.  I haven't read any comparisons of the HE-400i vs. the HE-500s, but I'm really curious.  Once I've modded and burned in my new HE-500s (and they seem new, not refurbished, though they could be; have that "new cans" smell wink.gif ), I'll do some semi-serious comparisons with the HE-560s.  Just putting on the 500s to make sure they work OK, they weight was shocking after wearing the 560s.  And those velour pads!  Brutal, just brutal.

Check out Jerg's review of the 400i. He compared it with the 500 and seems to indicate the 400i outperferforms and matches the qualities of the 500. It's as if the 400i were an upgraded 500, based on his review.
post #14471 of 16689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Junyuan View Post

Check out Jerg's review of the 400i. He compared it with the 500 and seems to indicate the 400i outperferforms and matches the qualities of the 500. It's as if the 400i were an upgraded 500, based on his review.

 

Thanks, I'll look for it :)

post #14472 of 16689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Junyuan View Post

Check out Jerg's review of the 400i. He compared it with the 500 and seems to indicate the 400i outperferforms and matches the qualities of the 500. It's as if the 400i were an upgraded 500, based on his review.

I found Jerg's review of 400i and 560 a bit overly enthusiastic on the new models. Many reviewers in the Chinese forums think the HE400i is a definite improvement over the HE400 but not quite at the HE500 level. The single side magnet drivers of the 400i still cannot match the precise control of the HE500 dual side magnet drivers for intrument separation and layering.

Many Chinese reviewers think the HE500 and HE560 are about equal in sound quality, just having different sound signature like the DT880 comparing to the DT990.
post #14473 of 16689
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego View Post

I found Jerg's review of 400i and 560 a bit overly enthusiastic on the new models. Many reviewers in the Chinese forums think the HE400i is a definite improvement over the HE400 but not quite at the HE500 level. The single side magnet drivers of the 400i still cannot match the precise control of the HE500 dual side magnet drivers for intrument separation and layering.

Many Chinese reviewers think the HE500 and HE560 are about equal in sound quality, just having different sound signature like the DT880 comparing to the DT990.

Thank you! I didn't even know there was a Chinese forum, unless you mean another site? What site are you referring to? I can write and speak some Chinese.
post #14474 of 16689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Junyuan View Post


Thank you! I didn't even know there was a Chinese forum, unless you mean another site? What site are you referring to? I can write and speak some Chinese.

 

Other sites. One of those are http://www.headphoneclub.com/forum-5-1.html

 

The mainland Chinese are getting rich now. You don't see much discussions on lower end equipment there now.

post #14475 of 16689

Just purchased a slightly used HE-500 with all the original accessories for $370. It should be in my hands tomorrow. I'll be using an integrated speaker amplifier with a headphone out to power it. It should have enough power, but I'll just have to wait and see. I'm upgrading from an HD-25-ii, so this is a real quantum leap for me. I'm ecstatic!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .