or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 931

post #13951 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

What shocks? Why would one need a shielded cabled for the HE-500s? They are low impedance and are ususaly driven by an amp with even lower impedance.

Are you thinking about the microphonics caused by touching the cable or it rubbing upon itself? If so that's not electrical.


The shock is like a static electricity shock you can experience by dragging your

feet across the carpet. I think by using the shielded cable, it is grounded by the

shielding to the amp. Just a thought. I have a dedicated circuit for my electrical

source so I don't think that is the problem. When using another set of cans on the

same set up I don't have this experience. When I wrote about this previously there

were some other people who experienced the shock. Oh well, life goes on but I

would like to solve the mystery. Thanks

post #13952 of 16541

Thought it did work out for you with another cable. Guess I see 2 possibilities. Either you are electrically charged or the headphone is. If the plate touching your ears is grounded, it'd make the hole issue worse, supposing it is you who are charged. Since the plate isn't grounded it might make sense that the headphone is electrically charged somehow, not you.

 

The actual signal shouldn't be able to build up such a big static charge at all. So it seems likely the static electricity must be generated in some other way, and it might be through the cable, who knows.

 

Well, I was just thinking out loud. Try playing around with a multi-meter, see if you measure something interesting. Maybe try to replicate it without having the headphones connected to the amp.

post #13953 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadell View Post
 


The shock is like a static electricity shock you can experience by dragging your

feet across the carpet. I think by using the shielded cable, it is grounded by the

shielding to the amp. Just a thought. I have a dedicated circuit for my electrical

source so I don't think that is the problem. When using another set of cans on the

same set up I don't have this experience. When I wrote about this previously there

were some other people who experienced the shock. Oh well, life goes on but I

would like to solve the mystery. Thanks


Whats wrong with the Mogami you made ?

Shielding is the only thing that worked for me

You could try a separate wire from the headphone connector to the jack ground

That would be a five wire cable , tricky to braid but it would be lighter and more flexible than the shielded cable

You don't need much it just needs to be a better path than you're ear

post #13954 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatrix View Post
 


Whats wrong with the Mogami you made ?

Shielding is the only thing that worked for me

You could try a separate wire from the headphone connector to the jack ground

That would be a five wire cable , tricky to braid but it would be lighter and more flexible than the shielded cable

You don't need much it just needs to be a better path than you're ear


Perhaps I did not make it clear, the Mogami works, no shock,  I am just

disappointed that I am limited to Mogami not that Mogami sounds that bad.

post #13955 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadell View Post
 


Perhaps I did not make it clear, the Mogami works, no shock,  I am just

disappointed that I am limited to Mogami not that Mogami sounds that bad.


There is always the Moon Audio stuff Black , Blue or Silver Dragon if you want something more exotic

I use the Black Dragon and find it suits the HE500 well but it is quite stiff compared to Canare or Mogami

post #13956 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadell View Post


Perhaps I did not make it clear, the Mogami works, no shock,  I am just
disappointed that I am limited to Mogami not that Mogami sounds that bad.
U can try toxic cables as an alternative..check their appriciation thread here on headfi for more info wink.gif
post #13957 of 16541

If anyone is experiencing static shocks, perhaps the air in their environment is very dry and a humidifier might solve that. I have a humidifier built into my heating system and should I forget to switch it on when winter begins, after getting a jolt or two, I get reminded to switch it on. Thankfully I've never been zapped through my headphones. :eek:

post #13958 of 16541

The HE-500 shocks got too much for me, was literally unable to move on my seat without generating enough static to shock my ears. I've now moved from inland to a place next to the coast with higher humidity. Yet to unpack my headphone rig, but I'm sure the static will be gone.

post #13959 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by daerron View Post
 

The HE-500 shocks got too much for me, was literally unable to move on my seat without generating enough static to shock my ears. I've now moved from inland to a place next to the coast with higher humidity. Yet to unpack my headphone rig, but I'm sure the static will be gone.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your highly charged situation.

post #13960 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Good luck and keep us posted as to your highly charged situation.

 

Lol, will do. The humidity where I was previously staying was around 10-20 percent in winter. On chilly days and when its really dry, the static is very problematic. Only disappears once the seasons start changing again as the humidity goes up and its no longer an an issue. You should see the thunderstorms we have in the Gauteng in summer, they can really spectacular and intense due to the dry thin air... Next to the coast the humidity is always high and of course lightning storms are much rarer there as well.

post #13961 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by daerron View Post
 

 

Lol, will do. The humidity where I was previously staying was around 10-20 percent in winter. On chilly days and when its really dry, the static is very problematic. Only disappears once the seasons start changing again as the humidity goes up and its no longer an an issue. You should see the thunderstorms we have in the Gauteng in summer, they can really spectacular and intense due to the dry thin air... Next to the coast the humidity is always high and of course lightning storms are much rarer there as well.

Holy cow, that's dry. You ever have any electronic kit damaged by static discharges?

post #13962 of 16541

Not so far though, but electronics is risky business here if you don't manage your ESD environment. I've have fried some ICs in the past by accident when working with prototype boards and not being careful enough. Walking to other people's offices is always an adventure as you wait for the inevitable static discharge once you have to touch an aluminium door handle or door frame somewhere along the line.

post #13963 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

Holy cow, that's dry. You ever have any electronic kit damaged by static discharges?
I have 60% in my house..normal is between 50-60.. Max 70 when u have lots of people over. wink.gif
20??? I cant imagine that even to be healthy for u!!! A moisterizer would indeed help..i use a demagnitizer (or deionizer..i dont know exactly what it does..but it changes something in the air) and de-moisterizer in winters when everything is closed in the house.. And it works!!! Its like a mobile air conditioning thingie...only one bad thing..it makes HUGE amount of noise!! Like a huge ventilator. redface.gif
post #13964 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


I have 60% in my house..normal is between 50-60.. Max 70 when u have lots of people over. wink.gif
20??? I cant imagine that even to be healthy for u!!! A moisterizer would indeed help..i use a demagnitizer (or deionizer..i dont know exactly what it does..but it changes something in the air) and de-moisterizer in winters when everything is closed in the house.. And it works!!! Its like a mobile air conditioning thingie...only one bad thing..it makes HUGE amount of noise!! Like a huge ventilator. redface.gif

My heating system has a humidifier built in which I switch on during the winter. It doesn't make any noise but I have to change water filters on it twice during the winter. It has an adjustment to set the % humidification. It also keeps one's skin from getting too dry in the winter.

Well the summer, I have airconditioning which cools the air and removes excess humidity. Both run in the same forced air system. Thankfully I never have the pleasure of getting zapped by static.

post #13965 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

My heating system has a humidifier built in which I switch on during the winter. It doesn't make any noise but I have to change water filters on it twice during the winter. It has an adjustment to set the % humidification. It also keeps one's skin from getting too dry in the winter.
Well the summer, I have airconditioning which cools the air and removes excess humidity. Both run in the same forced air system. Thankfully I never have the pleasure of getting zapped by static.
How weird the world can be...i use equipment to get rid of moisture (in one day the moisture % can get from 70 to 50.. My demoisteriser is very efficient.. daily i empty a big cabinet in which the water (moisture) is collected .)and u guys need equipment to get more moisture into ur homes...oh well..at least i ill never get the static problems some of u guys have redface.gif

My new house will have airco in the livingroom installed (but i do have automatic central heating throughout the house!)... Dont know how that will work out...i dont do fine with airco.. My throat reacts very badly on airco....even in my car i only use it when its REALLY nessesary...like in warm weather with raining..or driving faster as 160 (or when i need the very last piece of BHP from my growling baby lolz) ... But for rest....wind is my best friend then:-)
Edited by hifimanrookie - 6/24/14 at 6:20pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .