Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 915

post #13711 of 14226
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcykler View Post
 

Comfort is in the head of the wearer and I've had no problems with these. I did have a big problem with the LCD 3 headband to the point I couldn't wear them for more than about 20 minutes before I got a very painful spot. I suspect head shape affects comfort more than size because I have a pretty large noggin.

 

IMO, amps don't make a lot of difference except in volume attainability.  

I could not disagree more, I noticed a huge improvement in going to tube amps. Using the AudioGd 11.32  onboard amp the phones exhibited a dry, harsh, grainy, & fatiguing signature, switching to using the onboard DAC through my tube amp all the above was reversed

 

This of course has nothing to do with the HE500 except that it plays what is put into it rather truthfully.  It will reveal amp shortcomings 

post #13712 of 14226

For those who still remember my ordeal and the insanity it bestowed, I am proud to announce that it has been fixed. Ground loop isolator did the job.

 

And remember kids, Radio Shack is your best friend for under 20 bucks.

post #13713 of 14226
Quote:
Originally Posted by joespride View Post
 

I could not disagree more, I noticed a huge improvement in going to tube amps. Using the AudioGd 11.32  onboard amp the phones exhibited a dry, harsh, grainy, & fatiguing signature, switching to using the onboard DAC through my tube amp all the above was reversed

 

This of course has nothing to do with the HE500 except that it plays what is put into it rather truthfully.  It will reveal amp shortcomings 


I guess the Bottlehead Quickie as a pre-amp would be a decent enough route to this silky smooth tone ?

I  remember one member on this thread said the Quickie also expanded the soundstage on HFM.

post #13714 of 14226
Haven't kept up so I'm going to touch on stuff from the last couple pages.

Cables: DHC gets my recommendation.

Comfort: with Lawton pads they are comfy, the stockpads aren't angled/deep so I didn't get a proper seal behind my jaw.

Amps: I prefer SS with the he-500, and saw a significant difference going with a higher end DAC+amp than I saw with a much more economical amp/DAC combo.
post #13715 of 14226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramus View Post

Haven't kept up so I'm going to touch on stuff from the last couple pages.

Cables: DHC gets my recommendation.

Comfort: with Lawton pads they are comfy, the stockpads aren't angled/deep so I didn't get a proper seal behind my jaw.

Amps: I prefer SS with the he-500, and saw a significant difference going with a higher end DAC+amp than I saw with a much more economical amp/DAC combo.

Care to elaborate on the amps and dacs tried and what you have found the best with the HE500

post #13716 of 14226
Current setup is in my sig: audio gd nfb1.32+mjolnir.

Previous amp/DAC was a hidiman ef2a with upgraded western electric tubes, I did really enjoy this and would definitely reccomend it, I preferred it over magni/modi combo.

If money is no object I would want an audio gd master 7 + cavalli liquid cobalt. The mjolnir I first hears was fee through a master 7 and it sold me on the MJ. The cobalt I have heard through another DAC that I cannot remember, but it was amazing, I preferred it to the liquid gold, though it was a very brief impression of both so take it with a grain of salt. I didn't really care for the bottle head crack I heard with the 500, and the audio gd compass was good but not mind blowing. I want to hear a bryston bha and a auralic Taurus, as I feel those could potentially be better than the mjolnir, though enough to justify the price increase, probably not.

I want to hear the darkvoice/la Figaro 337/339 from recommendations in this very thread, but I'm annoyed that as a dual mono design it doesn't have a balanced counterpart.

I haven't hears a mini-x myself but I would like to to see how it compares to the mjolnir.

Fwiw, I didn't really like the mjolnir with the hd800s, and some people disagree that the MJ pairs well with hifiman products, it is seen as an aggressive amp, personally I think the greatness of the he-500 is how it sits right on the threshold of warm/neutral so people can go with say a wa6 and get super luscious mids or my route of an MJ and get hard hitting transients and speed.
post #13717 of 14226

Great info thank you

 

I tried the Schiit Valhalla paired with the uber Bifrost and was surprised at the fidelity. I have the audiogd11.32 and liked the DAC but found the amp bright and harsh (I hate the software issues with the ESS9018), Currently I pair the Ess9018 with a 3 wpc single end pentode amp SE84

(in my signature)  It makes for a very resolving setup without the harshness, The Bifrost makes for a very musical warmish setup when paired with the SE84

 

Bifrost is likely better suited to a SS amp, or a hybrid like lyr or asgard, 

 

I see all kinds of gear tossed about I would like to hear but alas I am eternally Broke:D

post #13718 of 14226

Hey guys, does anyone know if the HE-500 have some resonance arround 500hz?

I opened my HE-500 today to clean the drivers, see if there was any dust particle or hair on the diaphragm. After I finished, I went to sinegen to run some tests, see if anything has changed, and I noticed a really annoying noise I haven't heard before at arround 500hz with really loud levels, kinda of a "bzzzz" or something. I was afraid I had damaged the drivers, but then I remembered someone mentioning HE-500 has some resonance issues arround this range. Can anyone confirm this to me?


Edited by Okamoto - 5/24/14 at 6:23am
post #13719 of 14226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post
 

Hey guys, does anyone know if the HE-500 have some resonance arround 500hz?

I opened my HE-500 today to clean the drivers, see if there was any dust particle or hair on the diaphragm. After I finished, I went to sinegen to run some tests, see if anything has changed, and I noticed a really annoying noise I haven't heard before at arround 500hz with really loud levels, kinda of a "bzzzz" or something. I was afraid I had damaged the drivers, but then I remembered someone mentioning HE-500 has some resonance issues arround this range. Can anyone confirm this to me?

I just ran some tests through sinegen at 500hz and sweeping past it slowly with my eyes closed to see if I could identify anything and I really couldn't hear anything like a "bzzz" myself. Looking at the CSD there seems to be a little bit of trailing right after 500hz, maybe around 600, but I can't think that it would be audible at -30ish dB. Maybe try cleaning the drivers again or check the source with another pair of headphones?

post #13720 of 14226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post
 

Hey guys, does anyone know if the HE-500 have some resonance arround 500hz?

I opened my HE-500 today to clean the drivers, see if there was any dust particle or hair on the diaphragm. After I finished, I went to sinegen to run some tests, see if anything has changed, and I noticed a really annoying noise I haven't heard before at arround 500hz with really loud levels, kinda of a "bzzzz" or something. I was afraid I had damaged the drivers, but then I remembered someone mentioning HE-500 has some resonance issues arround this range. Can anyone confirm this to me?

 

Even if there's some resonance, it shouldn't create a vibration sound unless there is something loose that is able to move with the in increased air pressure / movement created by the resonance. Is it on both sides or just one?

 

I have heard the wires inside the cup vibrate occasionally against something, but only at higher-than-normal bass levels so it could be this you're hearing depending on volume. Alternatively there might be a hair inside the cup that's creating the sound - it's surprising what noises a single stray hair can make.

post #13721 of 14226

Did you fasten the driver assembly properly? Could be a touch loose and cause vibration as a result, might also be the wiring? I don't hear any strange noises and vibrations.

post #13722 of 14226

It isn't amp or source, because I don't hear it with my other headphones.

I assembled everything properly. Maybe a strand of hair fell into the driver when I opened it. I'll check it again today.

This noise occurs more precisely between 500hz and 520hz.


Edited by Okamoto - 5/25/14 at 11:09am
post #13723 of 14226

no BZZZZ noise from mine

 

simple didd you hear the noise b-4 opening the cans, If not then the problem is something to do with putting them back together either a hair wire or ??

post #13724 of 14226
Anyone know a good fix for the white noise you get when driving the 500's from a speaker amp? I remember it having to do with resistors, but I forgot the details.
post #13725 of 14226
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphonatic View Post

Anyone know a good fix for the white noise you get when driving the 500's from a speaker amp? I remember it having to do with resistors, but I forgot the details.


Interested in this too, as switching to a higher rated unknown amp soon with planars @ 35/50/60 ohms and there must be a simpler way than these DIY or retail resistor boxes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .